Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

women officials

• 14-11-2006 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

I never considered this much of an issue, but it looks like Luton manager Mike Newell may lose his job over it.
    After the 3-2 home defeat to QPR on Saturday, Newell raged: "This is not park football, so what are women doing here? She (Rayner) should not be here. I know that sounds sexist, but I am sexist, so I am not going to be anything other than that.

"It is tokenism - for the politically-correct idiots," said Newell.

"We have a problem in this country with political correctness and bringing women into the game is not the way to improve refereeing and officialdom.

"It is absolutely beyond belief. When do we reach a stage when all officials are women because then we are in trouble?

"It is bad enough with the incapable referees and linesmen we have, but if you start bringing in women, you have big problems.”
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=%2Dsexist%2D-newell-apologises%26method=full%26objectid=18087805%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/luton_town/6140922.stm
    Mike Newell's future at Luton Town has been thrown into considerable doubt after the club's board requested a meeting with him for what they perceive to be "sexist" and "completely unacceptable" criticism of assistant referee Amy Rayner.
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=428712&CPID=10&clid=102&lid=2&title=Luton+furious+with+Newell

Did anyone hear Rodney Marsh's comments this weekend, on Sky Sports I think? According to Ken Urley on Newstalk's Off the Ball he said something like 'I wouldn't want the outcome of a game decided on a woman's time of the month', or something to that effect, lol.

There has to be a link to the exact quote somewhere...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Theres one female assistant ref in the EL, havent seen her in a while but the games he did usually she ended out being moved to the other side as her completly wrong offside decisions were insensing both home and away fans.

On the plus side he got them all wrong so wasnt favouring anyone really.

Newell will probably say sorry and get away with it but i dont think its a male female thing, they are generally inept regardless of the gender (EL pov dont get replays 2 seconds later to judge or ever for that matter).

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well the meeting isn't just to do with those comments, he also launched an attack on the chairman. Must've been a bad day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yet again football365 ask the most important question concerning the issue at hand :

http://www.football365.com/mediawatch/0,17033,8749_1681004,00.html

"Stop living in the chauvinistic dark ages, people! Instead, let's try and distance ourselves from the sexist issues currently engulfing the game, and give the delectable Miss Rayner the positive attention that she deserves by opening up a Mediawatch poll:

Amy Rayner - would you or wouldn't you?"

I wouldn't......unless she gave City a few dodgy decisions. Then I'd literally take one for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

a mate told me that Mike Newell apologised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

if i may paraphrase...

I would never let a woman rule my team offside. If she tried something, I'd be like, HEY! You get your b!tch @ss back in the kitchen and make me some pie!

on a more serious note. it works in snooker, so why not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Xavi6 wrote:
    Amy Rayner - would you or wouldn't you?"
    Lol, I haven't actually seen what she looks like so can't answer that question... yet.

I heard on Off the Ball that the general consensus of the Spanish media is having female officials will lead to footballers toning down their "loutish behaviour" on the pitch.
    wba88 wrote:
    Yep, in The Mirror link below.

Edit: just seen her pic in the link above... no thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I wouldnt give a toss if she did a liverppol match. The Luton board dont care about what Newel said about her either. The reason he is close to getting the sack is because he basically called his chairman a useless waste of space.

It's got nothing to do with what he said about the female ref. But the female ref angle will get alot more attention so thats why the media are running with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

wba88 wrote:
    It was the main story on SSN this afternoon and he apologised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

el rabitos wrote:
    I would never let a woman rule my team offside. If she tried something, I'd be like, HEY! You get your b!tch @ss back in the kitchen and make me some pie!

nearly wet myself laughing at that!

On topic, wouldn't really care so long as the woman was properly qualified and properly promoted after doing her time in the lower leagues. Its not like they're just gonna grab some chick from the beauty parlour, give em a flag and tell em to wave it around a bit every so often and look pretty..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

All refs should be made play a lot of football to help them understand the game better. Theory is all well and good but it needs to be backed up with practical experience. Some decisions are glareingly obviously made because the refs dont understand teh mindset of a footballer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement