Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Petition To Be Signed

Options
  • 14-11-2006 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

sign this petition in order to achieve the following points:

1. a law that sanctions high fines for owners of malnourished and badly looked after animals.

2. a law that allows and forces motorists to stop when animals are crossing the road

3. a law that requires owners to read up on the needs of animals they own and a mechanism to make them go for all the check ups needed

4. a law that makes sure that shelters and pounds receive the proper funding they need to work sufficiently

5. a law that ensures that people who scare animals for the fun of it will get fined

6. a law that makes sure that no convicted animal abuser will ever be allowed to have another animal and that they have to report to the authorities wherever they move to

http://www.petitiononline.com/animhelp/petition.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

While I admire your initiative, online petitions are as useful as chocolate ovenware.

You are potentially putting animals lives ahead of those of humans. For example if an animal steps out on the road and I have to perform an emergency stop, there is potential for a car to hit me from behind, or worse still a pile-up. One only has to take a drive along the M50 and you will see no less than two dogs between Loughlinstown and Sandyford. A car travelling at 120kph stopping suddenly because some fool can't keep a dog properly is a lot more dangerous than anyone speeding on that same stretch of road unhindered. While I would certainly strive to avoid a collision with an animal on a road, if I couldn't avoid it, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

If you really want to do something about animals being killed on the road, penalise the owners who can't/won't keep their pets/livestock off the roads in the first place.

There are fines and custodial sentences in place for points 1 and 5 already. As for point 3, perhaps those who breed or sell animals should ensure that when they sell the animal that the purchaser is educated in the keeping of that animal. Organisations like Kitten Adoption carry out checks of prospective homes, for example. Laws aren't written specifically to provide funding (point 4). Funding may arise from the passing of legislation but that's a different story altogether.

I'm not even going to discuss the impracticalities of point 6.

Out of interest, how would you propose enforcing such legislation? Where would you divert funding from to pay for said enforcement and/or compliance?

Please don't get me wrong, animal cruelty is a terrible thing, but there are other things we need to focus on with greater urgency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Digital Dreams banned for spam.
    Thats twice you have started a thread pimping your petition. There is no need.

B

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement