Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speed limits and night driving.

Options
  • 14-11-2006 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I have experienced some drivers that don't adher to the speed limit in places like road works or where the main road is now replaced by a bypass. What happens is when I hit into the 50 zone, the cars behind start flashing their lights or blowing the horn to get me to drive Ioo. The problem is that they dont want to pass out and there are also white transit vans with cameras parked anywhere in the area, including garda bikes with speed guns. While I keep to the speed limit, others are not and I think maybe there may be some form of road rage emerging. What do others think?

On another topic, Night driving or day driving, Ive noticed the high number of stupid people throwing cigarette butts out the window at high speed not realising that the butt is still alight and may possibly fly into your car if you have a window open, or if you drive an open top car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

God I hate ppl like u who see those signs saying 'roadworks ahead slow down to 50 bla bla whatever' and actually do the 50 for example the reason is on the N3 there is a digital sign saying slow to 50km when the limit is 100km because of roadworks that DONT EVEN EXIST the people flashing u probably kno the road better than u so just speed up when they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lorax wrote:
    God I hate ppl like u who see those signs saying 'roadworks ahead slow down to 50 bla bla whatever' and actually do the 50 for example the reason is on the N3 there is a digital sign saying slow to 50km when the limit is 100km because of roadworks that DONT EVEN EXIST the people flashing u probably kno the road better than u so just speed up when they do it.
    You think that the OP should break the law to facilitate you?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

I would be what you might term as a 'progressive driver' :D as in I drive quicker than I probably should.

Very slow drivers do kinda get me wound up but after reading the OP its satisfying to know that these people are more wound up than me, with their worrying about just about everything.

I feel much better now, safe in the knowledge that you guys annoy yourselves more than you do me!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Lorax wrote:
    I agree. The OP is a nerdy prude. He probably drives a Yaris!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

you can't blame peoples attitude when you see something like the 60 km/h limit on the M50 roadworks. It strikes people as a limit placed by an over protective mother on her dahling child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

In my experience roadworks don't exist and the signs have just been left behind by lazy roadworks crews for local kids to batter each other with.

I believe a council must crete a by-law on speed limits therefore nullifying roadworks speed limits unless they've done so, which would be very unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Are you guys serious?

In this country, with the heirarchy we have, anyone who ignores speed limit signs may just have their credit card at the ready and bend over. I am sick of people thinking that I have to speed to facilitate them. If it says 60 kph, that's what I do. I'm right to, and if you don;t like it, overtake.

Good on ya, OP.

Th cigarette butts thing just bugs me because people don't see it for the littering it is. Try throwing a coke can out the window and watch everyone be horrified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

overdriver wrote:
    If it says 60 kph, that's what I do. I'm right to, and if you don;t like it, overtake.

I try to overtake, but you drift in and out of lanes and don't check your blind spot.

Damn I didn't think you'd notice!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

full wind screen wash... foot on the brake.. and watch the f**ker back away.

I had it with a guy on the M4.. he came at me doing at least a 100mph when i clearly had no where to go on the inner lane ( full of cars ) he went mental.. i was doing the limit with cars infront of me.. i don't know where he thought he was gonna go?

.....screen wash full wack & slapped on the break..I watched him in the mirror loose two years off his life with fright.. I then took his number and had a garda call to his door offering a caution stating clearly if he did'nt accept responsiblity for being a c**t i'd see him in court for 4 penalty points. To drive the umarked car would be a true pleasure.

Lets hope slowed him down.:mad:

And as for cig's out the window.. thats drives me mad.. especially when it lodges on your wiper..

• Advertisement

stifz wrote:
    I then took his number and had a garda call to his door offering a caution stating clearly if he did'nt accept responsiblity for being a c**t i'd see him in court for 4 penalty points.

How'd you manage that? You a Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Why put on the full wind screen wash while hitting the brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Those of you that know Summerhill in Meath will now the newly done road on the Trim side about 2KM's of 50km/h very frustrating but I do keep to it and very annoyingly (well it really pissed me off) I saved a lorry driver from a fine as he sped up behind me coming out of the town and we crossed the brow of the hill before the school at the speed limit there was a speed trap pointing at me. A week earlier going the other direction I had a guy flash at me for not going faster than the speed limit ohhh I wanted to get out and hit him.

What are you suppose to do with this idirocity you can't be reporting them to the Garda as you'd never be off the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If your jets are set a bit high and the person is close enough to the back of your car, you can end up soaking their windscreen.

I hate the "speed up and break the limit" flashers, too, although I will admit to flashing people doing 70 in a 100 zone!

As for the cigarette thing, I hate to admit it, but I'm occasionally one of the knob-ends who does that (on the rare occasions when I smoke in the car).

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Great thing about cruise control : just set the speed and that way you're not inclined to speed up over the limit when someone starts their little tailgating and flashing fits behind ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

overdriver wrote:
    Th cigarette butts thing just bugs me because people don't see it for the littering it is. Try throwing a coke can out the window and watch everyone be horrified.
    Littering can be reported to the relevant local authority. They will issue a fine of 125 euro. You will need to provide the reg number, car description, location, date/time, incident details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

it's annoying all right, when people stay just under the limit. I'll always stay about 5km/hr over if i'm the front car. That way, everyone behind me is happy and no cop is gonna bother pulling me in for being 5km/hr over the limit :)

cruise control ftw :D however i don't have it so i have to make do with my right foot. I seriously think sensors should be put on cars and attached to road signs. Once you got past the sign, car automatically slows to a max of 50km/hr etc...

but the government won't do that because it will lose them revenue and cost them a bomb initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You hate law abiding citizens? Well I hate people like you. People who break the law and intentionally put other peoples lives in danger.

OP,
    Same as you. I stick within the speed limit in areas where they are signposted.
    If anyone else wants to break the law I make it as easy as possible for them to overtake me without putting my life in danger.

There are far to many idiots on the roads in a major rush somewhere. If more people slowed down on the roads and had a little more patience we would have less accidents.
    Kippy

the back spray hits their wind screen resulting in impaired visiblity coupled with full red of brake lights they tend to pull back and keep there distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lorax wrote:
    he people flashing u probably kno the road better than u

Or are probably just ****. There's an area down in Cork that always has speed traps, practically every person in Cork knows about it and slows down to the speed limit before getting caught. However, you often get drivers from outside the county who start flashing, overtaking and contributing to the speed fine coffers. But I suppose they "know the road better" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

kippy wrote:
    You hate law abiding citizens? Well I hate people like you. People who break the law and intentionally put other peoples lives in danger.

OP,
    Same as you. I stick within the speed limit in areas where they are signposted.
    If anyone else wants to break the law I make it as easy as possible for them to overtake me without putting my life in danger.

There are far to many idiots on the roads in a major rush somewhere. If more people slowed down on the roads and had a little more patience we would have less accidents.
    Kippy

I completely agree with Kippy. When someone is doing a speed limit posted, whos to say whoever's behind them flashing and beeping at them knows better? Just by the act of beeping and flashing and driving aggressively behind them shows they don't have simple intelligence to just wait till its safe to overtake and break the speed limit on their own.

overdriver wrote:
    How'd you manage that? You a Garda?

By picking up the phone and calling the nearest station to the incident.. Think you put 2 & 2 together and got 5 there overdriver..

Are you a Nurse?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

So to combat people driving a few mph over the sometimes too low limits, you impare their vision and brake test them??

Anybody that does this is WAY more of a hazard on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I doubt the driver coming up behind him wanted to only go a few mph over the limit. It's that driver's responsibility to maintain a safe distance anyway.

stifz wrote:
    By picking up the phone and calling the nearest station to the incident.. Think you put 2 & 2 together and got 5 there overdriver..

Are you a Nurse?:D

I am!!!

Not.

It's just I would be wary of complaining about a driver unless I were prepared to take it to court, particularly after my recent experience with Lucan gardai. So you were lucky they agreed to do it for you. I hope he got the fright of his life!

I'd put him in the ditch if ever tries a trick like that again. He's lucky i had kids in the car or i'd highlight his complete lack of self control by speeding without any care for any other road user when i come to a full halt and let him plough trough me.... he was intimidating me by the fact i could'nt see his headlights he was that close. He was on top of me in the space of checking my mirrors.. he was'nt there.. all of a sudden he's up my arse.

It's the only traffic situation i'd actually be prepared to see him in court for.. And i do 30k a year. SO i meet a lot of assH**es

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fey! wrote:
    As for the cigarette thing, I hate to admit it, but I'm occasionally one of the knob-ends who does that (on the rare occasions when I smoke in the car).
    Grrrrr - I'm a biker and having lighted missiles thrown at you is not fun. People have crashed as a result of a lit cigarette becoming lodged in their lap or even flying into their helmet.

In stopped traffic I'd be very tempted to throw it back inside the car :D

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

ninja900 wrote:
    Grrrrr - I'm a biker and having lighted missiles thrown at you is not fun. People have crashed as a result of a lit cigarette becoming lodged in their lap or even flying into their helmet.

In stopped traffic I'd be very tempted to throw it back inside the car :D

I have done it to stopped traffic, even if I'm walking, and I always say "Sorry, you dropped this". Most of the time I get an open mouth, sometimes I get abuse, but it's worth it for the look on peoples faces

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Happened to me today I was cycling and a van driver threw a butt out the window narrowly missed me. Was going to go back, pick it up and give it back to him at the next set of lights but decided- its not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

stifz wrote:
    That's odd :confused: I reported a woman for being all over the road last week, almost certainly Drunk. She picked up her kid from school and nearly hit everything in sight. I followed her for a while and then reported her. I was told that I would have to go ito the nearest Garda Station and make a statement and be prepared to go to court. Also, I would have to be sure that I recognised the woman - her reg was not enough. They said that they could not just call to her house and give her a warning.
    Jim.

Advertisement