Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speed limits and night driving.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

JamesM wrote:
    That's odd :confused: I reported a woman for being all over the road last week, almost certainly Drunk. She picked up her kid from school and nearly hit everything in sight. I followed her for a while and then reported her. I was told that I would have to go ito the nearest Garda Station and make a statement and be prepared to go to court. Also, I would have to be sure that I recognised the woman - her reg was not enough. They said that they could not just call to her house and give her a warning.
    Jim.

Gardai tell porkies there - a truckie reported me a few years ago over some minor overtaking incident on a dualcarrageway. Anyway the Gardai called to my house and that was the first I heard about it, I was dumbstruck when they called as I hadn't a clue what I was supposed to have done at the time until they told me. This thing was so minor that it took me a few minutes to remember what it was. I gave my version of events and I never heard anymore about it and that was about three years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I had them call at 3 a.m, after I was driving home from a gig. I was loading the gear into the house, when they arrived. The missus was with me, and between the tow of us we couldn't figure why the person who reported us had done so. Save for my steering gently around a drunk standing in the road with a bollard in the air, over his head. I told them that and off they went. But they weren't giving out to me. only seeing if I was drinking.

Now the scary part to me is that normally, I don't unpack the gear, but that night I did, and normally, i have a beer or two in the house to help me wind down. But I didnt get to that night.

I recently had exactly the same experience as JamesM though. So it does seem to depend on who you get on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

In follow up to this op, i am glad that most of the replies are from responsible and good drivers. My point of both observations is that if the sign says 50 kph, then stick within 50kph, even during so called rush-hour traffic. There are some people that want to get from a to b in seconds, who get up late and are disorganised. There are many people who are organised with their lives and can get from a to b and also have regard for others and for speed limits. If there are white transit vans with cameras and patrol cars with guns and I am driving within the speed limit, I am saving myself and the people behind me from getting penalty points and paying a fine of 80 euro or whatever it is, but expecting me to drive faster just so that you can get somewhere faster will cost me and you penalty points and a fine. If your late or disorganised and drive aggressively and couldnt care less about others, then thats your problem.

People who throw items out of the car window dont have regard for the environment or other motoristsa. While a coke can or a cigarette butt is thrown out the window, they may well hit the car windscreen behind and may cause a crash (either item) or the cigarette butt may fail to extinguish and land on someone's clothing or hit someone's face and may cause the driver to lose control of what they are driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

overdriver wrote:
    Now the scary part to me is that normally, I don't unpack the gear, but that night I did, and normally, i have a beer or two in the house to help me wind down. But I didnt get to that night.

Why would you be scared............. no law against having a beer in your house ?
    as you said, all you done "wrong" was drive around a drunk in the road....... guards are there to both help and protect...... maybe the driver who reported you had a concern and reported it and the guards sorted it out.... ?

You're picking me up wrong, there, mate. What I mean is, if I'd just gone straight in, logged on the pc with my can of cider, and the lads had come a-knocking, even though I wouldn't have been over the limit, my credibilty would've been seriously undermined. They would have treated me much more suspiciously. It was a huge help having the girlfirend here, too, because she was very adamant with them we'd been driving safely.

The thing that bothered me about the driver reporting me was the fact that they were safely anonymous, while I had the cops at my door - very publicly in that small estate with a few curtains twitching etc ( they left the engine running). Also if they saw my avoid the drunk, how didn't they see him, and what I was at?

The gardai"sorted" nothing out, as there was nothing to sort out. I sterred ever so slightly left to avoid this pillock, on an empty road ( just where Eddie Rockets is in terenure, heading to Bushy Park. The pub is opposite).

It annoyed me at the time, but in retrospect, it was cool they'd try to catch a "drunk" driver. My point is that they didn't go after the other poster's drunk in the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

JamesM wrote:
    That's odd :confused: I reported a woman for being all over the road last week, almost certainly Drunk. She picked up her kid from school and nearly hit everything in sight. I followed her for a while and then reported her. I was told that I would have to go ito the nearest Garda Station and make a statement and be prepared to go to court. Also, I would have to be sure that I recognised the woman - her reg was not enough. They said that they could not just call to her house and give her a warning.
    Jim.

I had explained that we were both going to end up in the morning traffic 3 miles down the road so he was purely acting the dick as he was in the same tail back 5 minutes later within 3 cars of me.. I guess i explained to the garda to the point that something needed to be said. I've reported people in the past including drunk drivers but never got any feedback. I even rang ahead to 2 stations on the galway road to try and get one lad nailed one time but neither did anything.. he actually put me into traffic cones to get away from him & his crazy driving.

I made a point that i would definitely see this F**ker in court though. So the garda proceeded with a caution. Being honest i was delighted he had a sqaud car outside his door. Slap a bit of sense into the muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

Surely you can't just decide to report someone for dangerous driving etc and have them in court?

If thats the case anyone that I might have a non driving issue with, owe me money etc etc I can just pick up the phone and have them in court on a bogus claim

BarryM3 wrote:
    Surely you can't just decide to report someone for dangerous driving etc and have them in court?

If thats the case anyone that I might have a non driving issue with, owe me money etc etc I can just pick up the phone and have them in court on a bogus claim

based on witnesses etc etc.. obviously it's not his word against yours..

give the gaurds some credit...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

Wasn't there a phone line somewhere that you could call to annonymously report dangerous driving to the authorities, so in that case you don't even have to give your details to have the guards knocking on someones door.

I'll give credit where credit is due, so the gardai wil be waiting :)

BarryM3 wrote:
    Wasn't there a phone line somewhere that you could call to annonymously report dangerous driving to the authorities, so in that case you don't even have to give your details to have the guards knocking on someones door.

I'll give credit where credit is due, so the gardai wil be waiting :)

It goes to an answering machine!!!! I'm no joking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

BarryM3 wrote:

You have to be willing to stand up in court and give evidence, otherwise its just a ticking off from the guards, afaik......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 metallicabmw

hey, glad to see other drivers with my dilemma, I have 4 points on my licence, so that must mean I'm a dangerous driver, tailgating and overtaking only where there is oncoming traffic, well no, first was for doing 56km/h in a 50km.h and the other 66km/h in a 60. Thats the thickness of my speedo needle for gods sake.

I always try to stick to the limit buts its hard with a 06 DAF Bus Eireann radiator grill stuck to your back bumper, or some ass hole 06 DL Transit van with "wash me" on the front of it that seems to terrorise me every morning when he wants to do 160km/h and I'm doing 100km/h, but seems incapable of overtaking me

So the next bastard that tailgates my 03 Passat on the Trim to Longwood road in the morning will see how well my ABS works as compared to a fully laden Transit, because i've had enough.....you've been warned!!!

Why are the Gardai never ever to be seen on a back road, ever !!!!

Bad day, Metallica?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

G Luxel wrote:
    I have experienced some drivers that don't adher to the speed limit in places like road works or where the main road is now replaced by a bypass. What happens is when I hit into the 50 zone, the cars behind start flashing their lights or blowing the horn to get me to drive Ioo. The problem is that they dont want to pass out and there are also white transit vans with cameras parked anywhere in the area, including garda bikes with speed guns. While I keep to the speed limit, others are not and I think maybe there may be some form of road rage emerging. What do others think?

On another topic, Night driving or day driving, Ive noticed the high number of stupid people throwing cigarette butts out the window at high speed not realising that the butt is still alight and may possibly fly into your car if you have a window open, or if you drive an open top car.

Even if your doing the maximum allowed speed limit and someone want's to overtake you then let them by pulling in a bit...
    Accidents are caused by people driving under the limit and this leads to cars bunching up on one another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Ronanom wrote:
    Even if your doing the maximum allowed speed limit and someone want's to overtake you then let them by pulling in a bit...
    Accidents are caused by people driving under the limit and this leads to cars bunching up on one another

You should not move over to let traffic pass if you are travailing at the speed limit, especially at this time of year. It is the responsibility of the driver behind you to drive in a manner which is deemed as proper and safe.

If you move in to let them pass you could hit a pedestrian, pothole, ditch or anything on your left. Travelling to close to a vehicle in front of you is dangerous driving and you can be prosecuted..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

40kmph > Bandon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

I just cannot believe that people are complaining about drivers ahead of them that stick to the speed limit. Oh wait, I can - you're the same muppets I come across on the road every day driving dangerously. If you want to break the law, that's your business (and I hope you're caught) but don't expect someone else to do so just to facilitate your getting somewhere a few seconds earlier. If you have a problem with the limits, take it to the council or whoever is doing the roadworks.

upsfan wrote:
    I just cannot believe that people are complaining about drivers ahead of them that stick to the speed limit. Oh wait, I can - you're the same muppets I come across on the road every day driving dangerously. If you want to break the law, that's your business (and I hope you're caught) but don't expect someone else to do so just to facilitate your getting somewhere a few seconds earlier. If you have a problem with the limits, take it to the council or whoever is doing the roadworks.

Completely agree with you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

stifz wrote:
    I'd put him in the ditch if ever tries a trick like that again. He's lucky i had kids in the car or i'd highlight his complete lack of self control by speeding without any care for any other road user when i come to a full halt and let him plough trough me.... he was intimidating me by the fact i could'nt see his headlights he was that close. He was on top of me in the space of checking my mirrors.. he was'nt there.. all of a sudden he's up my arse.

It's the only traffic situation i'd actually be prepared to see him in court for.. And i do 30k a year. SO i meet a lot of assH**es

You tried to impair his vision and hit the breaks while he is driving so close that you cannot see his head lights and you have your kids in the car!! :eek:

Are you a complete fool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Well far as I am concerned the guy with his headlights flashing in my rear view can kiss my shiny metal ass! and I dont give a rats ass, i dont drive above the limit or below the limit, I drive AT the limit.

In my opinion the problem is with.....

(a)Idiot speedfreaks with road tunnelvision (other cars.. nah?).
    (b)Inconsistant drivers - ones that go from 40k - 120k on a 100k road, everytime you try to pass.

I had quite an interesting experience coming off the enfield - dublin sliproad just before the motorway was finished there was a 60kph limit (and yes I had seen garda there many times) and two tailgating artics on my tail.

On the downward ramp hitting the motorway the first guy goes right up my ass and trys to overtake as soon as there is any space around me and swings into the outside lane of the m4 - he obviosly WAAAAYYY underestimated his (and wha would be) my speed and tried to get out / in of the lane and around me straight off the ramp in one foul movement ...

Speed limit just off the ramp goes now from 60k - 120k.. my foot goes down (BMW) .. he tries to overtake and swings into the overtaking lane (crosses two lanes on the white triangle leading into the motorway).. he now knows he cant overtake, I'm way ahead, but he isnt looking at his mirrors and cant see the truck behind him (who now is at faster speed than him)- and as soon as he sees Im suddenly way ahead of him swings (jerked) back into the slow lane flashing his lights and almost jack knifing the truck.. as i see the smoke behind him of truck No.2 in my mirrors and two dangerously wavering trucks .. thankfully no accident !

• Advertisement

Mojito wrote:
    You tried to impair his vision and hit the breaks while he is driving so close that you cannot see his head lights and you have your kids in the car!! :eek:

Are you a complete fool?

You can touch your breaks to show lights without coming to a complete halt. In fact you can touch your breaks and reduce you speed by 5kms over any distance you want really.. part of training in the advanced driving course which can be done by civilian or part of the trained services .ie army, gardai, fire services etc..

I could'nt physically come to a halt or slow suddenly without it directly resulting in a collision because he was that close. whites of the eyes were all to clear in my rear view mirror..

And tell me without being in the situation what exactly were my options were.. speed up and increase the danger... push the car in the inner lane over and pull in between him & the one infront of him causing everyone behind to break.. maintain speed and let him travel dangerously behind me threatening my well being when the inner lane was full for at least another mile so i could'nt pull in

..Or impair his vision with spray put on as much red lights as i can forcing him to slow down.. The exercise does'nt actually blind his vision it gives him more than one task to complete in a short period ie. put on wipers, slow down etc maintain road position etc etc.. he HAS TO SLOW DOWN . HE"S FORCED TO SLOW DOWN.

stifz wrote:
    You can touch your breaks to show lights without coming to a complete halt. In fact you can touch your breaks and reduce you speed by 5kms over any distance you want really.. part of training in the advanced driving course which can be done by civilian or part of the trained services .ie army, gardai, fire services etc..

I hope you're not trying to indicate that you have done an advanced driving course because from what you have posted clearly indicates you haven't!
    stifz wrote:
    And tell me without being in the situation what exactly were my options were.. speed up and increase the danger... push the car in the inner lane over and pull in between him & the one infront of him causing everyone behind to break.. maintain speed and let him travel dangerously behind me threatening my well being when the inner lane was full for at least another mile so i could'nt pull in

If you don't know what you should do in that circumstance you shouldn't didn't be driving.
    stifz wrote:
    Or impair his vision with spray put on as much red lights as i can forcing him to slow down.. The exercise does'nt actually blind his vision it gives him more than one task to complete in a short period ie. put on wipers, slow down etc maintain road position etc etc.. he HAS TO SLOW DOWN . HE"S FORCED TO SLOW DOWN.

Hopefully by not crashing into you and your kids.

If anything I have learned from reading your posts is you do seem to have a road rage problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Or impair his vision with spray put on as much red lights as i can forcing him to slow down..

You could get the same effect more safely with your foglights (assuming its dark) or just switching on your lights if its bright.

edit: should mention I dont think imparing anyones vision is a good idea on the road, its bad enough out there at best of times and thats asking for an accident, maybe not to you but there were cars in the inside lane too and it just takes a swerve, a guy like that will probably want to drive at 160k regardless of road visibility or weather conditions.

Mojito wrote:
    I hope you're not trying to indicate that you have done an advanced driving course because from what you have posted clearly indicates you haven't!

If you don't know what you should do in that circumstance you shouldn't didn't be driving.

Hopefully by not crashing into you and your kids.

If anything I have learned from reading your posts is you do seem to have a road rage problem.

Tell me... what would you do?

Inside lane blocked for at least a mile rear & in front and heavy traffic further ahead thats not fully clear when you can pull in further up the line.. 3 miles down the road is a known traffic jam where the motorway comes to a complete stop. Car appears in your rear view mirror in seconds.. ie the guy is going like a bat out of hell... you've no where to go and he continues to tailgate at 120kmph for nearly a mile or so - as the traffic is progressive the inner lane is still unsuitable to pull over... He's dangerously close and aggressive and increases the pressure knowing that you have no where to go. And you know in 2-3 miles you'll have to come to a complete stop by the traffic jam.

Seriously cut me some slack here. I'm expected to just keep truck'n in the fear that the guy is actually gonna drive over me or start ramming me.. . were both gonna end up in a traffic jam in 5 mins time.. come on??!

So it's okay to drive up someones arse that close for a distance knowing he has no where to go and yet for me to spray his window with screen wash and touch my breaks which lets him know in no uncertain terms he's too close and making me very uncomfortable by his actions.. i'm at fault?!! And as for advanced driving course yes i have done one.. I do 30k a year and any fool that travels at that speed in such close proximity to the car in front deserves everything they get...prefrably a few penalty points. I don't have road rage issues i have respect for life on the roads - I care about my life being endangered by some asshole who drives too fast and expects everyone to get out of his way even when it's not physically possible..

By touching breaks i showed red lights - back away please and by spraying water i splashed his screen - the same as rain does in regularly. I did'nt full whack on the breaks and throw a bucket of oil on his screen.. he can still see, he can still realise that eh.. doohggh im tooo close better back away..

Seriously come on?!

stifz wrote:
    Tell me... what would you do?

First off I'm not saying you're at fault for his driving. He's an idiot for doing that in the first place.

You could be the best driver in the world but the muppet behind you could be the worst driver in the world. You don't know how he may react to your methods of telling him to back off or if his breaks are any good. He may panic and slam on the breaks causing the car behind him to hit the breaks as well causing a knock on effect, etc...

Doing what you did can actually cause a traffic jam. Every been on a motorway and the traffic slows down and then picks back up again for no reason? Think about it.

I and most drivers have at some point who drive on motorways will have been in the same position as you before. If you can, indicate and pull into the left and let him go on and annoy someone else. If you can't, drive normally until you can then pull into the left and let him by.

Take his number and report him by all means

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

So it's okay to drive up someones arse that close for a distance knowing he has no where to go...
    I don't think anybody actually said that
    ...and yet for me to spray his window with screen wash and touch my breaks which lets him know in no uncertain terms he's too close and making me very uncomfortable by his actions.. i'm at fault?!!
    IMO 2 wrongs don't make a right.
    Spraying your screen wash only lets him know that you've sprayed your screen wash. Screen wash regularly lands on the windscreen of the car behind - I doubt anybody who has posted on his thread has ever had that happen and though "ooops i might be a bit too close - better back off"
    I don't have road rage issues i have respect for life on the roads
    I don't know you from Adam (whoever he is) but I think you might do - albeit very small ones.

Yes the guy is acting like a class A gob****e - but it doesn't give you license to do the same. He might be tailgaiting, he might be trying to intimidate you, pressuring you to go faster but he certainly doesn't want to crash into you (it will only delay him and cost him money in the long run). I'd keep at a steady pace and if I needed to slow considerably I'd hit the hazzards before applying the brake. (Given your advance driving course you shouldn't need to jam on)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

upsfan wrote:

Would these people sticking to the speed limit be the same ones who step on their brakes every time they see an oncoming car once the road narrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Would these people sticking to the speed limit be the same ones who step on their brakes every time they see an oncoming car once the road narrows.

Are you telling us you like to break our speed limits I hope you get caught soon and done for dangerous driving.

Oh I keep to the speed limit and I don't feel the need to hit the brakes everytime I meet a car and it's usually people who are unfimilar with the road and speeders who do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

if someone was driving up my arrris i wudnt speed up or slow down id just keep going.as for the spraying of window wash on purpose r u a complete ejit thats possibly one of the worst things u can do (what happens if hes wipers wont work and u impair his vison).i was driving a moped before and my cousin and her boyfriend wer on there way somewhere they saw me and decided to spray water at me my visor got full of water i couldnt see where i was goin (no fu**kin wipers on visor ) i ended up in a ditch with a busted hand the bike wasnt damaged thank god.i found out a few weeks later it was my cousins boyfriend hes one lucky fella coz hes little starlet gt was nearly going to be beat asunder.on other thing is guards sometimes tailgate to see if youl brake the limit iv heard of people been done by unmarked cars this way so my advice stay on the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Someone in work told me recently that to get done for speeding it must be a stationary Gardai checkpoint with a speed camera and not a moving garda car, of course they can give you a bollocking, but I was told not a ticket (?)

Another thing, this may have been mentioned before, in order to get a grip on the speeding issue why not just use satellite/GPS to track the cars, the issue of who was driving can easilly be solved with a biometric reader in the car for when you start it (no keys just capture your thumbprint, palm print or whatever).

Advertisement