Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speed limits and night driving.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

h2s wrote:
    Another thing, this may have been mentioned before, in order to get a grip on the speeding issue why not just use satellite/GPS to track the cars, the issue of who was driving can easilly be solved with a biometric reader in the car for when you start it (no keys just capture your thumbprint, palm print or whatever).

...and while we're at it we use the obtained data to find out who was visiting the girlfriend instead of the golfcourse :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

endplate wrote:
    Oh I keep to the speed limit and I don't feel the need to hit the brakes everytime I meet a car and it's usually people who are unfimilar with the road and speeders who do that

Or people coming to a bend who get blinded by the oncoming lights of cars. I usually find when the traffic ahead of me starts to slow down, that soon after I see some eejit(s) coming against me with full beams/poorly adjusted dips.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Car Mad wrote:
    i ended up in a ditch with a busted hand the bike wasnt damaged thank god.i found out a few weeks later it was my cousins boyfriend hes one lucky fella coz hes little starlet gt was nearly going to be beat asunder.
    You shouldn't have let that stop you :D
    But seriously, you could have had him up on a charge no matter who he was, you could have been killed.
    A few weeks ago I saw a Starlet GT driver deliberately swerve into the path of an oncoming car, it was his idiotic way of saying hello to his mate (they waved) but what if he misjudged and they collided? Kicking myself I didn't get his reg.
    on other thing is guards sometimes tailgate to see if youl brake the limit iv heard of people been done by unmarked cars this way so my advice stay on the limit.
    Entrapment, and dangerous driving to boot
    How do they expect the public to respect the law and principles of safe driving when they themselves too often do not?
    h2s wrote:
    Someone in work told me recently that to get done for speeding it must be a stationary Gardai checkpoint with a speed camera and not a moving garda car, of course they can give you a bollocking, but I was told not a ticket (?)
    One Garda and a calibrated speed measurment device (speed gun, or possibly a calibrated car speedo, I know their bikes used to have specially calibrated accurate speedos, a mate owned an ex-Garda CBX750) OR two Gardai willing to state in court you were speeding, with no speedo or measurement device required.
    In other words, two Gardai walking along could decide you were speeding and you've no defence.
    Incidentally, if you are done on a speed gun or gatso, they've no requirement to prove that the device is accurate. How this is constitutional I'll never know.
    Another thing, this may have been mentioned before, in order to get a grip on the speeding issue why not just use satellite/GPS to track the cars...
    Because we don't (yet) live in a police state, and the citizen has freedom of movement so long as they respect the law, innocent until proven guilty and all that - as long as they've enough money to appeal to the Supreme Court :(

Amazing how many people these days are willing to be tracked, indexed, numbered etc. in a fashion The Prisoner never would have accepted :mad:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

h2s wrote:
    Someone in work told me recently that to get done for speeding it must be a stationary Gardai checkpoint with a speed camera and not a moving garda car, of course they can give you a bollocking, but I was told not a ticket (?)

).

i'm afraid h2 your workmate is wrong. We stopped at guy on the M1 travelling at 160kph while we travelling behind him. it was dark and we didn't have the roof light on. there was three of us in the car to verify his speed. he will be getting a speeding ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

ninja900 wrote:
    Amazing how many people these days are willing to be tracked, indexed, numbered etc. in a fashion The Prisoner never would have accepted :mad:

Good Point, folks should remember this when using their Tesco CLubcard - massive database with lots of info on shoppers habits.:eek:

The Nog's info will make some interesting conversation at tommorrow's lunch table.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

h2s wrote:
    Good Point, folks should remember this when using their Tesco CLubcard - massive database with lots of info on shoppers habits.:eek:

The Nog's info will make some interesting conversation at tommorrow's lunch table.:)

lol:D tesco:p how do they keep track of so many peoples:eek: back on topic now people try and stick to the speed limit;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ninja900 wrote:
    on other thing is guards sometimes tailgate to see if youl brake the limit iv heard of people been done by unmarked cars this way so my advice stay on the limit.

I've heard this also as well as experienced it (it was a marked car but I couldn't see until he overtook me as he was so close and his beams were blinding me). It's the primary reason why I will never speed up for an aggressive driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stark wrote:

Er, I didn't write what you quoted, I write in English :D

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement