Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about locks

Options
  • 14-11-2006 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone out there that know such things please tell me how to tell which size barrel lock I should get for a front door. or is there a standard size, or can I buy an adjustable length barrel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Can someone out there that know such things please tell me how to tell which size barrel lock I should get for a front door. or is there a standard size, or can I buy an adjustable length barrel?

Hi
    If by "front door lock" you mean a "yale tpye" Nightlatch, I think they're more or less standard. If you replace yale with yale or union with union, you shouldn't have a problem. The length you're worried about is adjusted by cutting its "tail"(junior hacksaw). If your type has a "triple turn deadbolt" , using the key from inside, then remove the entire lock and bring to locksmiths. He'll select a suitable barrel(pin wise) and file down the inside cylinder pins to suit, allowing you to use the same key inside and outside. Take him 5 mins and he'll charge a tenner(?) extra.
    If there is a difference in barrel body length across brands, measure the original, it just has to be shorter than the door is thick...if you get my drift.
    hope this helps
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

yeah the lock was Yale, I got one of the same make and got locksmith toshorten it to the same length as the old one. thanks for the response.

Advertisement