Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CURRYS - Now open in Sligo

Options
  • 14-11-2006 4:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭

Just in case ye didn't hear Currys Electrical Superstore is now open up at the Retail Park. I went in there on their first day on Saturday and its good. Easily as big as Enniskillen if not Bigger but maybe not as big as the Galway one.

Too many blooming tempting gadgets though! - My credit card is gonna be smokin'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I think I actually started drooling when I was in there on Sunday!
    It's gonna put it up to the other electrical shops in town!
    McDonaghs, Colemans and Tahenys being the big three!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭andyr

Gillie wrote:
    I think I actually started drooling when I was in there on Sunday!
    It's gonna put it up to the other electrical shops in town!
    McDonaghs, Colemans and Tahenys being the big three!

Its hard to say how or whether the big 3 are going to survive now Currys is there. I suppose the others have been around for yonks and they would have their regular customers and they might offer a different level of better service (or not maybe?) as Currys but Currys do knock spots off the others for the wide range and prices of the stuff they sell. Whereas McDonaghs might be tied to selling Sony for TV's and Zannusi for Freezers you look at how many different brands there is in the Currys store for people to chose.

And that is what people want these days choice rather than maybe sometimes quality. Of course as well with Currys being such a huge operation over here and in the UK they also have the buying power to buy huge quantities in bulk and have some extremely good offers on stuff whereas small electrical stores wouldn't be able to buy in stuff at good enough trade prices to compete with Curry's.

I do feel sorry for the other shops now because as I say they have been around for years and i have used them for years myself but I have to admit that now Curry's is now on the scene, is in a great location with loads of parking and is around other shops that interest me up at the retail park and have late night opening and are open on Sundays and Bank Holidays I would predict that now if I want anything electrical I dare say i am going to buy off the Currys store in future. - If a lot more people in Sligo think like me that is very probably affect the other stores like McDonaghs, Taheny's and Colemans business so I hope they manage to keep their heads above water and survive but I don't know whether they will or not. Time will tell.

Mind you, in another way what was really stopping any of those others opening up a superstore up there before Currys came on the scene the retail units were empty for an awful long time - I thought at one stage maybe McDonaghs would have moved from Adelaide Street up to the retail park and made a big store.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Niiiice, I actually have a reason to go home for the weekend. Must check it out!

andyr wrote:
    Its hard to say how or whether the big 3 are going to survive now Currys is there. I suppose the others have been around for yonks and they would have their regular customers and they might offer a different level of better service (or not maybe?) as Currys but Currys do knock spots off the others for the wide range and prices of the stuff they sell. Whereas McDonaghs might be tied to selling Sony for TV's and Zannusi for Freezers you look at how many different brands there is in the Currys store for people to chose.

And that is what people want these days choice rather than maybe sometimes quality. Of course as well with Currys being such a huge operation over here and in the UK they also have the buying power to buy huge quantities in bulk and have some extremely good offers on stuff whereas small electrical stores wouldn't be able to buy in stuff at good enough trade prices to compete with Curry's.

I do feel sorry for the other shops now because as I say they have been around for years and i have used them for years myself but I have to admit that now Curry's is now on the scene, is in a great location with loads of parking and is around other shops that interest me up at the retail park and have late night opening and are open on Sundays and Bank Holidays I would predict that now if I want anything electrical I dare say i am going to buy off the Currys store in future. - If a lot more people in Sligo think like me that is very probably affect the other stores like McDonaghs, Taheny's and Colemans business so I hope they manage to keep their heads above water and survive but I don't know whether they will or not. Time will tell.

Mind you, in another way what was really stopping any of those others opening up a superstore up there before Currys came on the scene the retail units were empty for an awful long time - I thought at one stage maybe McDonaghs would have moved from Adelaide Street up to the retail park and made a big store.

I do Hope that Colemans and Taheny's stay viable. Not bothered about the other place for me own reasons/experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Currys has an advantage in parking but try asking one of their staff anything about the products. They don't know them...

McDonaghs offered to match anything like for like price wise before Currys opened. They are close on price on a few items I checked and will generally give you a discountif you ask. Tried asking a staff member for a discount in Currys. doesn't happen.

I'd say McDonaghs will manage to compete and have loyal customers and a good after sales service, but they are a bit awkward to get parked close to on a busy shopping day.

• Advertisement

GG66 wrote:
    Currys has an advantage in parking but try asking one of their staff anything about the products. They don't know them...

McDonaghs offered to match anything like for like price wise before Currys opened. They are close on price on a few items I checked and will generally give you a discountif you ask. Tried asking a staff member for a discount in Currys. doesn't happen.

I'd say McDonaghs will manage to compete and have loyal customers and a good after sales service, but they are a bit awkward to get parked close to on a busy shopping day.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that point about McDonaghs.
    If you have been fortunate enough to receive a good aftersales service on something with them - consider yourself lucky.
    I have had (and know ppl who have had) bad experiences with them in terms of an after sale service.

Soon I will be purchasing new TV's, Dishwasher, oven etc.
    I'm torn between buying in Curry's or being loyal to Taheny's!!!
    Might get the TV's in Currys and the rest in Tahenys! Everyones happy!:D

GG66 wrote:

I have been using a different McDonaghs, Taheney's and Colemans over the years then if you think they know all about their products. If I wanted anything I would do my research on the Internet or read leaflets before I used to buy off them and on a couple of occasions have had false information of a product by the shop staff.
    McDonaghs offered to match anything like for like price wise before Currys opened. They are close on price on a few items I checked and will generally give you a discount you ask. Tried asking a staff member for a discount in Currys. doesn't happen.

I have never got anything substantial of the other crowds maybe a fiver knocked off - I get the 'ah well we don't make much on those items!' - I wonder how long they would be able to match Currys Prices? - it stands to reason that Currys is a much bigger operation and can buy stuff in bulk and offer it cheaper if they wish. I read in a newspaper that you can haggle with Currys on price (but I think its just the UK stores) to get something cheaper or they will bung in a 'freebie' accessory for you.

I believe if you have a shop which sell large items that you can put in the back of your car and drive away that they should provide ample parking for customers at their premises - Currys stores always seem to have this and you can pull up to their front door to load the stuff - something you cannot always do with the other 3 in town.

Gillie wrote:
    I'm sorry but I don't agree with that point about McDonaghs.
    If you have been fortunate enough to receive a good aftersales service on something with them - consider yourself lucky.
    I have had (and know ppl who have had) bad experiences with them in terms of an after sale service.

Soon I will be purchasing new TV's, Dishwasher, oven etc.
    I'm torn between buying in Curry's or being loyal to Taheny's!!!
    Might get the TV's in Currys and the rest in Tahenys! Everyones happy!:D

why not make life easier on yourself and order all from Currys and get it delivered all in one go. The only thing to note is delivery charges. I think the others do free delivery on large items. My wife checked today at Currys about how much delivery costs on a freezer and they said they are not fully up on delivery at the moment but but in the next few days or next week they should be and that delivery for the freezer would be 24.99 euro. They will take back the old freezer and the new freezers packaging (polystyrene / cardboard packaging). - 8 Hours they advised for the new freezer to stand upright before plugging in to use. To let all the gasses settle.

one thing I have not been impressed with before with buying stuff off the other electrical shops in the town in the past is that if you see something on display is when you ask for it they say that they have checked their warehouse and they have not got it in stock and that the only one in stock is the display one and if you ask if its any cheaper they say no.

So you can in effect order something and get the shop display model and say if thats a fridge freezer where everyone has has there mucky paws in and out of the fridge and if its a TV then you have had people turning it on and off and its dusty and not essentially new.

I don't think a lot of this would go on in Currys somehow. I think if you would order something you will get it all packaged up as new from the warehouse in the condition it has come from the factory.

The only things I have seen in other Currys stores is 'Managers Markdown' and I hope the Currys store in Sligo will do this. It essentially is goods that are either ex-display or returns from customers, Items with scratches, or items without or damaged boxes/packaging or some lead missing and these are marked down extensively in price just so they can get rid of them. In a lot of times you can get the stuff dirt cheap in the managers markdown area.

Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Haven't seen into Curry's yet? But i imagine it's the same as PC World (which i think i recall they also own)..

.. wildly expensive unless they've a sale on.

Will give it a look at the weekend though.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    Haven't seen into Curry's yet? But i imagine it's the same as PC World (which i think i recall they also own)..

.. wildly expensive unless they've a sale on.

Will give it a look at the weekend though.

sorry to disagree but I think 'wildly expensive' is too harsh. You have a greater range of items and different range of prices. When you say wildly expensive can you elaborate to what or whom as an example to back up your claim?

PC world is not that expensive. The problem is that the staff know sweet FA about the kit there!
    Halfords. Now THEY'RE expensive!!

Gillie wrote:
    PC world is not that expensive. The problem is that the staff know sweet FA about the kit there!
    Halfords. Now THEY'RE expensive!!

Some staff do - some don't know. I was looking for a laptop in PC world and asked to hear the sound on it. To which the sales person said there was no music installed on the laptop. Knowing that Windows XP include some sample music whilst she was there I went into the windows/media folder and played highway blues music to which she had a surprised look and then said oh! - there is music on it then.

Then another sales woman walked past and I said 'does that laptop come with Works word processor on it' to which she replied no, you would have to buy Office to use a word processor so i got her to 'unlock' it (they have some demo program running on them) and whilst she was there went into start menu and there was microsoft works on it ' Oh yes she said it does indeed has works on it! '

These are sales woman I have seen in the store for the last year so i don't get it how they didn't know these simple things. - it comes to something when the actual customer know more about the computers than the PC World staff!

andyr wrote:
    Some staff do - some don't know. I was looking for a laptop in PC world and asked to hear the sound on it. To which the sales person said there was no music installed on the laptop. Knowing that Windows XP include some sample music whilst she was there I went into the windows/media folder and played highway blues music to which she had a surprised look and then said oh! - there is music on it then.

Oh Sweet Jesus!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Does anyone know how their pricing compares with the sterling equivelent prices in Northern Ireland.

If its anything like Argos you're better off buying some sterling and heading over the border

muffler wrote:
    Does anyone know how their pricing compares with the sterling equivelent prices in Northern Ireland.

If its anything like Argos you're better off buying some sterling and heading over the border

are you though. I have found lately that with a lot of stuff up in the North after changing over currency and the travelling that is getting actually cheaper to get the stuff down here in the ROI. - A few things I have priced up in the NI ARGOS catalogue work out dearer after changeover rather than buying in Euro now. - food shopping seems better value up the north but as for electricals I think its better to buy in the south now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It depends on the item. Most of the time, it wouldn't make much difference. Some items work out cheaper south of the border, but my parents bought a food processor and it was equivalent of €100 in Enniskillen but cost €150 in Argos down here. Apparently you can contact them and get a refund for such disparities though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

andyr wrote:
    sorry to disagree but I think 'wildly expensive' is too harsh. You have a greater range of items and different range of prices. When you say wildly expensive can you elaborate to what or whom as an example to back up your claim?
    Currys in galway (a month ago): Sony dsc s600 €230 or so
    Galway Camera shop : same camera €209.95

JIZZLORD wrote:
    Currys in galway (a month ago): Sony dsc s600 €230 or so
    Galway Camera shop : same camera €209.95

yes that is a fair difference. I wonder if you buy it from Currys and if you see it down the road for cheaper they refund the difference. They do this in the UK Currys stores I believe - must be the same in Ireland no?

Was up there on Saturday afternoon and while not "wildly expensive"... other than their offers - there was very little to tempt me into purchasing.

Greater range of products maybe, but not in terms of savings.

To be honest.. the best thing about that retail park is probably 'Homebase'

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    Was up there on Saturday afternoon and while not "wildly expensive"... other than their offers - there was very little to tempt me into purchasing.

Greater range of products maybe, but not in terms of savings.

To be honest.. the best thing about that retail park is probably 'Homebase'

Homebase can be quite dear as well. As ever you still have to do a bit of shopping around but its nice to have a lot more choice and more shops to chose from.

My best stores up there are Homebase, PC World and now Currys. I like looking around in Halfords sometimes and I like sometimes looking around in 2 seasons and the café is nice in 'instore' (try the Cinnamon danish pastry or the cookies, and a cappuccino mmmmmm.)

its coming along nicely up at the Retail Park but the only thing missing up there of course is ahem...... ARGOS and a ALDI Store!!! - oh and of Course a large TESCO superstore across the road from it ;) - I can only picture it in my head though, I don't think it will ever happen,

but you never know I suppose what is around the corner do you. - I never thought a year ago that I would ever see a Currys store come to Sligo!

Andy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

It's really hard to find an honest salesperson these days. They will do ANYTHING to sell you crap. The more someone seems eager to sell you stuff, the more they are bound to be dishonest. Look for salespeople who don't talk too much and when asked questions, respond in short, to-the-point answers. Those are the ones who will guide you properly in getting a good deal.

andyr wrote:
    Homebase can be quite dear as well. As ever you still have to do a bit of shopping around but its nice to have a lot more choice and more shops to chose from.
    That's true.. but i always seem to find better bargains in there than elsewhere up there.
    andyr wrote:
    and the café is nice in 'instore' (try the Cinnamon danish pastry or the cookies, and a cappuccino mmmmmm.)
    Myself and the girlfriend went by that, and i dying for a coffee, but she said it wasn't worth it as it was a bit expensive.. i will next time! :D

I did find some lovely stuff in the place before InStore.. forget the name. All beds / couches and stuff.
    andyr wrote:
    oh and of Course a large TESCO superstore across the road from it ;) - I can only picture it in my head though, I don't think it will ever happen,
    Didn't those Tesco plans fall through recently?

Tesco, Aldi and Argos have all been refused OR picked at (by the Chamber of Commerce and others) so much that they ain't coming.
    It's total BS. They would be outta harms way if you know what I mean and would be of huge benifit to ppl not living in the town/city centre.
    But i'm sure having everyone drive into the centre of Sligo looking for a car parking spot that isn't there is a much better idea!

Look what they've done in Castlebar!!!
    Aldi, Argos and a 24 hr Tesco built behind the TF.
    If you didn't know it was there you probably wouldn't find it.
    Doesn't impact the "oldstyle" look of castlebar at all!

Well at least in Sligo we have a Sex Shop and a Casino. Who needs Argos or Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Gillie wrote:
    Well at least in Sligo we have a Sex Shop and a Casino. Who needs Argos or Aldi!

Where is the casino?

Gillie wrote:
    Tesco, Aldi and Argos have all been refused OR picked at (by the Chamber of Commerce and others) so much that they ain't coming.
    It's total BS. They would be outta harms way if you know what I mean and would be of huge benefit to ppl not living in the town/city centre.
    But i'm sure having everyone drive into the centre of Sligo looking for a car parking spot that isn't there is a much better idea!

yes, doesn't it make you sick. Instead of nit-picking and refusing these shops they should have been welcoming these shops into Sligo instead and they should have been grateful that they wanted to set up in Sligo in the first place - it would have made more people stay shopping in Sligo instead of driving out people out of Sligo to other towns to shop at these places.
    On one hand they are trying to come up with solutions to ease traffic in the town centre by coming up with stupid one way systems and pedestrianisation and they have a huge parking problem but in another way they are not in favour of these out of town shopping parks at all which would ease some traffic in the town centre!

The thing is do they not listen to the public of Sligo when they are making these decisions - I have yet to come across 1 person that agrees with these refusals placed by the Sligo Chamber of commerce to the locations where places can set up in Sligo and every one I talk to agree that ARGOS, Tesco and ALDI should all be placed out of the town centre to facilitate easy access, greater parking and convenience.
    Gillie wrote:
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, its a joke anyone would think that they would have had huge opposition yet they got the go ahead with no problem - its a funny ol' world.

Where is the casino?
    Just off Adelade Street. Where Better Bodies used to be.
    Want to know where the Sex Shop is?
    ;-)

Gillie wrote:
    Want to know where the Sex Shop is?
    ;-)
    Is it the well documented one in the Market Yard?

** cough **
    ** cough **

.. not that i've been there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I knew where that was, thanks to the weekender online.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    Is it the well documented one in the Market Yard?

** cough **
    ** cough **

.. not that i've been there! :D

Do they do 16 Day money back guarantee on their goods like ARGOS do? :)

Advertisement