Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CURRYS - Now open in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,195 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good call nanook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

andyr ban has been lifted, welcome back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Was in curry's today to buy a hoover.
    The service was shocking! Very very poor! Was waiting 20 minutes just for someone to tell me the price of something.

Happy with the end result though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rui

As a regular tv buyer like to have the newest currys or any dsg stores are not the place unless you want to buy a warrenty c"$% service stick with the local guys at least they know the area Sony centres are usually quite good too if limited in product range one brand but a good brand gennerally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭andyr

Gillie wrote:
    Was in curry's today to buy a hoover.
    The service was shocking! Very very poor! Was waiting 20 minutes just for someone to tell me the price of something.

Happy with the end result though!

It is very annoying when they haven't got everything priced up in Currys and you have to ask a bod there.

the wife bought an upright Dirt Devil hoover from Homebase a couple of doors up for 79.00 Euro one of those cyclonic things, there is something pretty satisfying watching all the dirt and fluff getting sicked up in the clear bagless container being swirled around like a hurricane:)

Ah but hold on I have diversed and gone off topic by talking about Homebase and not Currys! :o - I am gonna get banned again if i am not careful! ;)

Andy.

• Advertisement

andyr wrote:
    Ah but hold on I have diversed and gone off topic by talking about Homebase and not Currys! :o - I am gonna get banned again if i am not careful! ;) Andy.
    Andy if you are going to persist with this childish behavior then I think you will be looking at a long layoff from here.

I have better things to be doing instead of reading your dribble.

Take this as being a yellow card.

Was up there again this evening. Spent 20 minutes on an assistant who went off to assist someone else.
    I walked! F*ck that!

Gillie wrote:
    Was up there again this evening. Spent 20 minutes on an assistant who went off to assist someone else.
    I walked! F*ck that!

Ah, well its only early days yet they have only just opened up the other week there - given time they will sort themselves out.

- Did you mean 20 minutes you were with a shop assistant? - if so why was you with them that long and look at it from their point of view they might end up serving someone for 20 minutes just to find the customer is a time-waster and just walk straight out of the shop.

Andy.

No I was waiting for her to come back to me about a price. She went on to serve other customers. I just gave up in the end.

Gillie wrote:
    No I was waiting for her to come back to me about a price. She went on to serve other customers. I just gave up in the end.

Yes, thats not very good service I agree. If you got a little time on your hands sometime write a quick letter and address it to the manager or customer services to the Sligo store you might as well let them know how peed of you are about it and it might just kick them into not doing it again rather than just not letting them know.

Sometimes the trouble with service in Ireland is such that customers will complain down the pub or to their friends but wont actually put pen to paper and complain directly to the shop/store - then wonder why they get poor service from a place.

- Tell them how long you was waiting for a price and they went off served someone else and you left the store and bought what you was looking for somewhere else. - too much of that carrying on they will soon change their ways if they want to keep customers!

• Advertisement

andyr wrote:
    Sometimes the trouble with service in Ireland is such that customers will complain down the pub or to their friends but wont actually put pen to paper and complain directly to the shop/store - then wonder why they get poor service from a place.

Very true andy. I just didn't have the time yesterday.
    Actually I went into Pizza Hut after that for a bite. The food was very nice but again the service was brutal.:(

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

andyr wrote:
    It is very annoying when they haven't got everything priced up in Currys and you have to ask a bod there.

It's not just annoying. It's illegal. Go to www.odca.ie and make a complaint there and don't just moan about it on Boards. Dunnes was prosecuted for failing to display prices and yet Curry's and PC World seem to think that they don't have to.

Then again maybe if we all went in and picked up unpriced items and queries the price and then picked another item and queried the price and ... they'd get the message .

parsi wrote:
    It's not just annoying. It's illegal. Go to www.odca.ie and make a complaint there and don't just moan about it on Boards. Dunnes was prosecuted for failing to display prices and yet Curry's and PC World seem to think that they don't have to.

Then again maybe if we all went in and picked up unpriced items and queries the price and then picked another item and queried the price and ... they'd get the message .

Thats very interesting. I thought I heard something a couple of years ago about everything must be priced up by law but I thought that only applied to the UK. - I have a local supermarket/petrol filling station down the road from me where there are an awful lot of stuff not priced up on the shelf or the items themselves and you have to take them up to the counter.

I have my theory that in some way it is done deliberately making people take the thing up to the till for a price and even if its more than they want to pay they might think 'well I am here at the till now I may as well buy it!' - because that has happened to me a couple of times rather than putting it back on the shelf.

Andy.

Gillie wrote:
    Very true andy. I just didn't have the time yesterday.
    Actually I went into Pizza Hut after that for a bite. The food was very nice but again the service was brutal.:(

ah, pizza hut - pretty expensive in there. Last time I took the family of 4 in there it cost something over 50 Euro! - I haven't been in there since. The kids equally enjoy a McDonalds which is cheaper - be good if there was one of them up the retail park.

Andy.

The last few posts here could have gone into consumer affairs or the food and drink forums.

Andyr, you were warned about off topic posting so this time its a red card - off for 2 weeks

Anyone else who wants to hijack a particularly good thread and waffle on about things that have nothing to with the topic at hand will also be banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Spent an hour in Currys on Tuesday waiting for a shop assistant to be available. Before our turn he spent fifteen minutes with some muppet enquiring about hoovers who in the end up didnt even buy one. Eventually when he did come to us, the item we were after wouldnt be in stock till after Xmas. He mentioned that four staff who would normally be on the floor were off sick.

He mentioned that four staff who would normally be on the floor were off sick.

Not your problem!
    The staff up there are nice but thinly spread and their knowledge on the products sold there is questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

muffler wrote:
    The last few posts here could have gone into consumer affairs or the food and drink forums.

Andyr, you were warned about off topic posting so this time its a red card - off for 2 weeks

Anyone else who wants to hijack a particularly good thread and waffle on about things that have nothing to with the topic at hand will also be banned

andyr didn't hijack the thread though, he started it. I myself have found this thread really interesting, at least a lot of people have had a lot to say and it all refers to places in Sligo, so I don't think he should have got banned.

this thread has been going on and off topic for ages, but it all seems to evolve around retail park.

Maybe the title should be changed, any thoughts on this

nanook wrote:
    this thread has been going on and off topic for ages, but it all seems to evolve around retail park.

Maybe the title should be changed, any thoughts on this

There has been a fair bit of tolerance shown here which would not have been afforded in other forums. I even got banned myself a few months ago from another forum for 1 off-topic comment. No prisoners taken there.

I had suggested that someone start a new thread to debate or discuss other issues but andyr in particular seemed determined to drag the thread continually off topic and ignored repeated warnings to desist from doing so. After he got his marching orders the posts from other users went bang on topic again which is great.

If we start changing thread titles then it will be an open season for continually changing titles depending on who is discussing what. My suggestion here is for someone to start a new thread with a title like "Sligo development topics" or something like that. That would give a wide berth to a range of issues and unless someone starts talking about the man on the moon I cant really see any great problems with the posts.

• Advertisement

fair point.

If andyr is not logged in he should be able to view the posts here. So if you are reading the posts Andy would you mind changing your settings in the user control panel (under edit options) so as to allow you to receive PM's.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grimly

muffler wrote:

In my opinion the standard of moderator could do with improving. This thread could easily have been hived off in another direction and further comments directed there, as I've seen done many times on Boards.
    The childish behaviour seems to be coming in another direction, distinctly not AndyR's. It's always a shame when some seem to get a charge out of throwing their weight around in a particularly loathsome schoolyard fashion.

grimly wrote:
    In my opinion the standard of moderator could do with improving.
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

grimly wrote:
    In my opinion the standard of moderator could do with improving. This thread could easily have been hived off in another direction and further comments directed there, as I've seen done many times on Boards.
    The childish behaviour seems to be coming in another direction, distinctly not AndyR's. It's always a shame when some seem to get a charge out of throwing their weight around in a particularly loathsome schoolyard fashion.

That would be based on the vast experience you have got from your six posts. :rolleyes:

I think it is very simple and in the forum charter, stay on topic or be banned.

smashey wrote:
    That would be based on the vast experience you have got from your six posts. :rolleyes:

I think it is very simple and in the forum charter, stay on topic or be banned.
    Spot on there smashey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WasBanned

grimly wrote:

Very well put.

I went up Currys today and into McDonaghs in Sligo. McDonaghs seemed as busy as ever so I don't think it has effected them much it seems. I come back to what I said before though that Currys do seem to have a better selection of stuff whereas McDonagh seem to have just a lot of Sony stuff.

Its hard to say how McDonaghs and Taheney are going to survive but if they continue to have their regulars they might especially the customers they have built up over the years. If people have to wait a long time to get served in Currys this could affect them though people will just get fed up and walk out and go somewhere else.

Andy.

well andyr went and created a 2nd account, WasBanned, in order to work around his initial ban. Opening duplicate or multiple accounts is the cardinal sin on boards.ie He has now been permanently site banned and that actually is not the responsibility of the moderators here as we dont have such power.

I will however look at the situation again in the near future and if I can get certain assurances from Andy then I will talk to one of the SMods about this.

We try to encourage members to be more active in this forum and it is only as a last resort that a ban will issue. We want to hold on to people here not drive them away but they must stick to the rules and for what its worth I didn't make the rules

grimly wrote:

Nothing to do with Curry's

grimly Banned for a week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Firstly I'd like to support our mod's. They're as fair as we could expect, sometimes fairer.

On the topic I have seen all the multiples in Sligo often have inexperienced staff and I believe whilst all these companies sell similiar products aftersales service will come into play big time in this market.

I imagine lots of people are also ill advised in some of the bigger stores quite often. I know where I wouldn't buy a pc in Sligo.

Advertisement