Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seven Stages of Property Cycle.

Options
  • 14-11-2006 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see David McWilliams "The Popes Children" last night. He was explaining the seven stages of the property boom. I was just wondering if he made this up or is it an actual economic model that has been proven in the past in other countries. The reason I ask is that it seemed like a very, very accurate description of what has happened to property and people in Ireland over the last 15 years.

McWilliams stated that we were now in stage five but I believe we have entered stage six where people are starting to "feel the pinch" as he put it. The next step apparently is "banging the door" when investors scramble to exit the property market. Scary stuff. How accurate is it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its probably the Hyman Minsky Cycle , a Universal Framework for all Bubbles , stage 5 is Euphoria which in our case lasted from 2004 - c.Spring 2006 .

Stage 6 (now) is Insider Profit Taking .

Stage 7 is called Revulsion.

Here is the complete 7 stage model of a bubble (any bubble)

http://www.irishstrangler.com/wordpress/?p=120

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I think he took that cycle and just put some new wording on it. Pity, because I think the original wording is more stark.

If you look at probably any bubble you'll see the phases in action - the dot com boom and Japanese property two good recent examples. Beanie babies for another slightly off the wall example ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mc Williams and his trite labels eh . I'll give him one so .

ARSE !
    Acronyms Ruin Serious Economists !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I think auld Davey's career as a media person is undergoing the same seven-stage cycle.

Advertisement