Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving early from a lease

Options
  • 14-11-2006 11:47am

Hi all,

This question is really just something that has been nagging me for a while, I'm happy where I'm living but I was wondering where do tenants stand when they wish to break out of a year-long lease early?

It seems strange that leases don't have "get-out" clauses (mine didn't mention such a case at all).

Where would a tenant stand if he/she decided to give a month's notice and leave after about 8 months, say?
    Hope that's not a vague circumstance, just something I'd like to know for future.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

A lease is a contract so it's not unusual that it is difficult to break out of one. Legally, if you're within a lease you have to serve out the term (unless there's a breakout clause), and you will have to pay for the remaining months. You may be able to argue some element of unfairness in terms, but that would be a trip to courts and not something I've known anyone to do. Leases provide protection for both landlords and clients.

In practice almost every landlord I know will allow you to "break" the lease by having someone else take up your part of the lease e.g. if you leave a room and can find someone else to occupy it. If the landlord sticks to his guns though you have a problem.

Yeah, I imagined it would be along those lines, although I thought there would have been some legal thing to prevent people from being 'forced' to stay if there was a genuine reason they had to leave.

No biggie, I'll take this on board and consider it. As I said, I'm in a good position at the moment, just don't like being tied down and like to know my options (if any) for the future.

Thanks for your input.

Advertisement