Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arbitration Decided

• 14-11-2006 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Well, the decision has been made. No replay.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1428
    The eircom League had ruled on October 3 that Bohemian FC should be deducted three points for playing a player while he was suspended in their league game against Shelbourne FC on August 18.

Shelbourne FC appealed this decision and on October 31 the FAI Appeal Board ruled that Bohemian FC be deducted three points and ordered that the match be replayed in the interest of fair play.

The eircom League requested the FAI to refer the matter to arbitration and Mr Collins was appointed as arbitrator. He heard representations from the eircom League, Shelbourne FC, Bohemian FC and the FAI Appeal Board.

Mr Collins ruled that Bohemian FC should be deducted three points but rejected the decision to order a replay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I suppose that is about the best outcome. Pity it is almost 3 months late before it has been decided though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Probably the best decision really.

But we could have done with them points after Derry's result last night.

Them feckin' Dublin refs, out to get us they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'm not a Shels supporter, but I can't the logic or fairness in not replaying a match that has been lost when the opposition played an illegal player.

It'd nearly encourage Bohs to play a few more illegals in the final game of the season. A few more penalty points won't matter to Bohs, but I'm sure they'd have great amusement in stopping Shels winning the title!

But a replay would be giving Bohs the oppurtunity to regain the points they had been deducted in the first place.

The decision which should have been made first day is awarding Shels a 3-0 win, as is the UEFA precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

gimmick wrote:
    But a replay would be giving Bohs the oppurtunity to regain the points they had been deducted in the first place.

yeah a replay would have been stupid. There would have been no punishment really for bohs if they had won the game...
    gimmick wrote:
    The decision which should have been made first day is awarding Shels a 3-0 win, as is the UEFA precedent.

Is it the precident though? Is it in a rule book? I'm not say its not the precident, just wondering where you've seen this.

This brings into question though, how much did that suspended player affect the outcome of the game? The game took place and a result was earned. Punishment can be dealt after, but you can't just give points to someone else. They have to be earned on the pitch IMO.

• Advertisement

^ If im not mistaken, Jason McGuinness had a big part in one of Bohs' goals, possibly giving the assist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is it the precident though? Is it in a rule book? I'm not say its not the precident, just wondering where you've seen this.

This brings into question though, how much did that suspended player affect the outcome of the game? The game took place and a result was earned. Punishment can be dealt after, but you can't just give points to someone else. They have to be earned on the pitch IMO.

I think it was in a game involving one of the Ireland and Albania underage teams - possible U18. I think the Albanians played a suspended player, and UEFA awarded the full points to Ireland.
    gimmick wrote:
    ^ If im not mistaken, Jason McGuinness had a big part in one of Bohs' goals, possibly giving the assist?
    Worse than that.

McGuinness played Centre Half in that game, which meant that Fergal Harkin (possibly another player) could play in the centre midfield position. Chances are that if McGuinness had not have played then harkin would have filled in at CH.

McGuinness then went and provided an assist to Harkin to score the winner in the game.

Harkin possibly would not have been in the position to score otherwise.

BUT - at the end of the day that is all conjecture.

Shels were shyte that night, and didn't deserve to win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

In Junior football the FAI rules state that a team that fields an illegal player loses the game and the 3 points are awarded to the opposition.

Not really the right decisions by the FAI originally or the arbitrator but its better than having a replay. That would have been ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

seansouth wrote:
    Shels were shyte that night, and didn't deserve to win the game.

Yeah we were. Blew a lead that we probably didn't deserve to get.

I think, in the interest of the league, its probably best that there isn't a replay. If Shels had needed it to win the league then it'd be another hollow victory, but now its black and white, and all down to one game on Friday. Kinda ironic that its Bohs we have to play, and I'm sure they'll want to give it their all. That said, we haven't lost at home in the league in aaaaaaaaaaaaages and I would be extremely hopeful of getting the win we need.

It's going to be yet another great eL title decider.

Advertisement