Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topnailing Floorboards Laid on Concrete

Options
  • 14-11-2006 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I've moved into a house which has solid oak floorboards in the hall and livingroom. Problem is they have been laid floating on what seems to be an uneven concrete floor and they creek like b*stards. Every footstep produces a squeak.

Now I've tried the talcum powder thing to no avail, and I'm not sure if that's a long term solution anyway. If they were laid on plywood I would nail them down regardless of how it looked, but as they are laid on concrete, is there anything I can do to fix the boards to the floor without taking them up altogether? Can I nail them down to the concrete or something (I'm guessing this would render the damp proof membrane useless though)

If I do need to take them up, level the floor and relay them over again, can I take up floorboards that have been laid with adhesive without wrecking them?

Advertisement