Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anarchy Online

Options
  • 14-11-2006 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of giving this game a go again and was wondering if anyone is still playing it ?
    Main things I'm wondering about is how populated it is ? And how stable, the last time I tried it it had issues.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lol i came on here to ask very same questions.
    Pretty much all reviews ive read state it is superb game but plagued by technical issues.
    Im downloading the fre AO classic now to try,its free.
    http://www.anarchy-online.com/free/ad_campaigns/freecampaign

Gamershell link is coming down @ 270 kbps for me.
    Has to be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

There are still thousands of people playing, They (funcom) keep coming up with patches so they're still working on stuff.

I am having disconnection issues at the moment, broadband cable is usually fine, but on 3mobile all it takes is a microsecond of signal loss and I get disconnected from the game and have to re-login.

The problem with this is that it takes 30 seconds for the disconnection, during which time you can be running into monsters and not realise, as all the other characters appear frozen. Once you sit down during this disconnection you are unable to stand. Keep playing around with the keys until the client catches up.

My advice is to find where your client is, and log back in for a while.
    (see my most recent post about AO)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Did you just search for every Anarchy Online thread and necro them all? Nice :pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    Did you just search for every Anarchy Online thread and necro them all? Nice :pac:

I am replying to Rev Hellfire's question about AO.

You did notice that some of the threads on boards.ie have identical names?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I did, and i noticed that you resurrected 4 threads and they were, between them, 21 years old. I'm not giving out, its just odd to answer a question that hasnt been asked in 3/9 years.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I did, and i noticed that you resurrected 4 threads and they were, between them, 21 years old. I'm not giving out, its just odd to answer a question that hasnt been asked in 3/9 years.

For a start, there's nothing wrong with answering old threads. If you think there is, I suggest you become an Administrator and delete anything older than 3 months.

Second, in line with the thread, I had a contribution to make and I made it, concisely.

Third, nobody had answered the question so far.
    In fact, Dcully had asked the "very same questions".

Lastly, 2 years and 4 months is not the same as 21 years. It's not 3/9 years either, whatever that is supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

If the question isnt answered after 6-9 years, you can be pretty damn sure that the people asking the questions dont really care anymore ;)

This kinda strikes me as shilling tbh, especially since you then proceeded to the games forum to do the very same thing there... all while adding your own nice little contribution of "your AO guide". Coincidence?

Somebody has already deleted the second posting (the copy) so there's no need to keep going on about that. As for the two other AO post I replied to, I don't feel obliged to explain them further, once you actually read them you'll find them fairly self explainatory.
    Ivan wrote: »
    If the question isnt answered after 6-9 years, you can be pretty damn sure that the people asking the questions dont really care anymore ;)

How can you be so sure that people don't care anymore? New people are joining AO all the time, Including people who don't know about it yet, people who've heard about it from friends and aquaintances, Including people reading forums for information.

It is nobody's job to decide another's level of interest or participation for them.

Two years and four months is not 6-9 years.
    Ivan wrote: »
    This kinda strikes me as shilling tbh, especially since you then proceeded to the games forum to do the very same thing there... all while adding your own nice little contribution of "your AO guide". Coincidence?

The "guide" part is completely original, glad you think it's nice.

What is Shilling? And what exactly do you mean by "Coincidence?"

I've been completely open and obvious about my posts.
    I posted twice because those threads were started by two different people, who may have subscribed to get their own replies.

Anyone can visit anyone else's statistics, see what they've posted and proceed to regurgitate the obvious. At least make it original.

If nobody is willing to address all the points I've made then why do I bother arguing?
    Has everyone already made up their minds before reading, then why bother thinking at all?
    What is boards.ie for?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

chompy wrote: »
    It is nobody's job to decide another's level of interest or participation for them.

It's the mods job actually.
    Two years and four months is not 6-9 years.

One of the threads you necromancied was nine years old, the last century and millennium, and another planet effectively in how the net, games and technology have advanced since then.

What is Shilling? And what exactly do you mean by "Coincidence?"

Shilling is the practice of fake "posters" promoting or giving fake grassroots promotion for someone/something, usually businesses.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
    Even a cynical old sod like me doesn't thing that's the case here though.

If nobody is willing to address all the points I've made then why do I bother arguing?
    Has everyone already made up their minds before reading, then why bother thinking at all?
    What is boards.ie for?

People who've been here much longer than you are trying to help you by telling you where you went wrong, listening to them is a good idea. What you did is needlessly dredge up ancient threads, a practice often called thread necromancy. Instead had you just posted it on it's own fresh thread it would have been fine, and probably a welcome contribution.

Advertisement