Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racers

Options
  • 14-11-2006 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hi i'm doing a study in college with some friends, looking to talk to people about the stereotype of 'boy racers' and people who go out to street race/etc. does anyone have any opinions or stories? looking for contacts. cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

hi i'm doing a study in college with some friends, looking to talk to people about the stereotype of 'boy racers' and people who go out to street race/etc. does anyone have any opinions or stories? looking for contacts. cheers

TRY WWW.RACERSHAVEN.IE OR eiremax.net or driver.ie;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 researchgal

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jezus, your man iff driver.ie wouldn't like to be called a boy racer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I've seen loads.

There are two types of Car modder, those who use their cars on the track and those who are skangers. The scummer element of of society are the few who street race and go around corners side ways often late at night in various industrial estates. JFK ind being a prime example.

Also a boy racer is someone who is 17, drives a low power car with a bolt on exhaust end. Please do not confuse car modders with Boy racers.

I'm 25 with a modded car, if you called me a boy racer I would hurl abuse at you ;)

Unfortunately a few bad apples ruin the lot and lead to Gardai following you for no reason, pulling you for no reason and other descrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

layke wrote:
    There are two types of Car modder, those who use their cars on the track and those who are skangers.

by that reckoning you're calling anyone who has a modified car who doesnt use their car on a track, a skanger. please think about what you're posting before you hit the button.

owning a modified car does not make you a bad person, as the media would have many believe. plus the op is looking for opinions on street racers / boy racers, car modifiers are a completely different thing.

if you are looking for people who street race then driver.ie is not the place to go. such people are not tolerated on the site, for good reason. if its the stereotype of boyracer which you want to discuss, it might be better to get a definition of same from those who label as such first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'm not sure if your trying to twist my words or not but that's clearly not what I mean. By applying your logic i'm calling myself a skanger for driving my modded Civic to the shops. It boggles me as to how you came to such a conclusion.

Those who skid round corners sideways on public roads are majority wise skangers from my vast vast vast experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

im just pointing out by your reply that was the logic, whether you meant it or not.
    i know exactly where you are coming from, im 26 with a modified car and i get the odd bit of grief from the boys in blue, just because of the look of the car, no offences, just pulled simply for the car. once they speak to me or see the baby seat in the back, they seem more interested in speaking to me about or complimenting the car than telling me exactly what i was pulled for. it is very frustrating when just going for a sunday spin etc but what can you do, theres always some idiot out there who will spoil it for everyone and give all modified cars a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

layke wrote:
    I'm not sure if your trying to twist my words or not but that's clearly not what I mean. By applying your logic i'm calling myself a skanger for driving my modded Civic to the shops. It boggles me as to how you came to such a conclusion.

I know that the argument is over, but you clearly said..
    layke wrote:
    There are two types of Car modder, those who use their cars on the track and those who are skangers.

I didn't understand it either as you were essentially calling yourself a skanger too?? Maybe you should have said there are 3 types of Modder:

Boy Racers (skangers, in a 900cc - 1400cc 1st time car who are on a fast track to death)
    Track Day Modders (relatively small club due to insurance costs)
    Show & Shine Modders (This is where the majority of people would sit IMO)

I was a show and shine modder as my insurance wouldn't let me go above a 1.4 engine. There was a lot more than a bolted on exhaust and a few neon lights involved, and I'm glad I did it.

I used to slag people who would buy a Punto and stick on a set of alloys, tint the windows and bolt an exhaust tip on, but then I grew up and said live and let live. They weren't hurting me, in fact what they were doing actually made my car look better.

As for trouble from cops, once the local guys knew who I was and realised that I was of decent skin - they left me alone. In fact a few of them would often come to me to ask questions about CD Head Units and Alloy suppliers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Advertisement