Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewing Lamb

• 14-11-2006 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I have some stewing lamb - still on the bone.

Can anyone suggest how to cook it and or what to cook with it please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Assuming there's 500g to 1kg of meat, you could try this.
    (Any combination of spices will do.)

1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp chilli powder
    1 small turnip
    3 or 4 carrots
    2 peppers in chunks
    6 cloves garlic roughly chopped
    1 tin tomatoes
    tbsp tomato pureé
    juice & zest of 1 lemon (or a whole pickled lemon in chunks)
    Chicken or vegetable stock
    Olive oil

On a medium heat - fry spices in 1 tbsp of oil for 2 mins, then add meat & brown.
    In separate pot sweat veg in oil for 5 mins.
    Add meat to pot along with chopped tomatoes, pureé & lemon zest.
    Add enough stock to almost cover contents.
    Simmer for 90 mins.
    Add lemon juice 5 mins before serving.
    Serve with cous cous.

Alternatively, if you want a plainer version - leave out the pepper, spices, lemon, tomato & pureé - chuck in some chopped celery (maybe parsnip too?) & some parsley & thyme.

Edit: And a bay leaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

That sounds delish!
    Will try that one of these winter nights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I was actually going to put up a very similar recipe to that one hill billy, had it drafted and all, just didn't get to finish it.
    Mine would be slightly different, adding mustard seed and going straight for garam masala rather than the impromptu one you made up.
    Tis nice stuff though get's the thumbs up in this house too.
    One other addition, if you have a garland of dried chili hanging in the house, take about 20 of them and throw them whole into the "curry" and let them rehydrate in that, fantastic is the word.
    I'd leave out the root veggies and add fry some ginger paste into the onion, garlic, spice mix at the start.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I was actually going to put up a very similar recipe to that one hill billy, had it drafted and all, just didn't get to finish it.
    Sorry about that!
    Blub2k4 wrote:
    Mine would be slightly different, adding mustard seed and going straight for garam masala rather than the impromptu one you made up.
    I don't know if it was intentional, but - yes - that was a "made up" spice mix. I would normally go for a higher heat & spice factor in my own cooking, but tend to put more moderate (usual?) amounts of spices in recipes that I post here as not everyone would have the same taste as myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

So obviously, if you like it hotter, add more chilli?

I'm salivating here just thinking about it

I assume i'd be able to get stewing lamb on the bone at any good butcher

• Advertisement

sofireland wrote:
    So obviously, if you like it hotter, add more chilli?
    For hotter - add more chilli (powder, dried or fresh).
    For spicier - add more spices (naturally) depending on what "floats your boat" so to speak.
    sofireland wrote:
    I assume i'd be able to get stewing lamb on the bone at any good butcher
    Try the above with some lamb shanks or mutton knuckles. My personal preference would be lamb shanks for spicy dishes & the mutton knuckles for plainer stews.

Whatever recipe you go for - Be sure to cook it nice & slow to get the meat to a melt-in-the-mouth stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I got a nice shoulder of lamb earlier and only got him to saw the bones where necessary and we're going to do a nice slow lamb curry later, will let you know how I get on and pass on the recipe.
    I haven't decided on accompaniment yet, but it's for lunches so I may do a large curry then pack some off for freezing with cous cous and some with basmati rice.

Advertisement