Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting my dog in a kennel for few days (feeling lousy about it)

Options
  • 14-11-2006 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

Im heading on holidays in a couple of weeks for 5 days.. Usually i always have a relative that can take my dog but this time around there is nobody available. I have decided to put my dog into a kennel for the 5 days.

I have her 4 years and the only time she has not been in the house in all that time was when i put her into a kennel over night when i went to a wedding.
    She must have been barking and barking all that night cos when i got her home the next day she was hoarse and she was a bit weird with me for a couple of days.

Anyway i have been reading up on particular kennels and i have picked what i think is the perfect one for her.. but I fell really guilty putting her in one for almost a week.. Im obviously just a big softie but I can just picture her big doe eyes looking at me when i leave her there.

One question I have.. how long would it take for the dog to adjust to her new environment?? I would hate to think that she would not enjoy what is essentially a holiday for her. Anybody ever in a similar situation and how did it turn out??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If it's a good kennell (and I'm sure you picked a good one) it will indeed be a holiday for her ...or at least something different and positive. Contact with other dogs, other people, lots of new things etc.

The main thing for you to do is not to fret. By now your dog knows you inside out and can read you like a book. If you get all anxious and "guilty" about the prospect of kennelling, she will sense immediatedly that something is worrying you and so she will be worried/ confused/anxious.
    Then you drop her off at the kennells with a big lump in your throat and give her a tearful, guilty goodbye hug, waving sadly at her as you walk to your car bent with sorrow ...you get the picture ....:D :D:D

She'll just be beside herself with worry and unable to relax and enjoy these new experiences.

So ...chin up ...be positive ...you picked a good kennell for her, all will be well and she will have great time. You just believe it and so will she.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Hi gazzer
    I totally understand - I put my fella into a dog boarder's cos I'm too soft to put him in kennels. She takes about 3 dogs into her house, you bring bed, bowls, and food (and blanky in our case) and she walks them twice a day.

Jack knows her and her 2 little dogs well as she walks him for me if I have to be away for a few hours for work and he's mad about her.

I don't know where you are but you could ask around in the local vets for something similar? My lady texts me to tell me how he is and it's so reassuring. And he's never funny when we come back - just full of beans!!
    All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

If you have found a good kennels, don't feel guilty about putting your dog in for a few days.
    I was in the exact predicament as you were, and I also fretted.
    As Peasant said, it will be a holiday for her, with new friends to meet.

Find out the kennels policy on vaccinations, ( a good kennels will insist on seeing your vaccination card ) and make sure your dog is up to date in this department.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

My dog is 6 years old and for the first time this year i put her into kennels. I was quite apprehensive at first, however the girl that owened the kennels was very nice and i ahd utmost confidence in her.
    I had to bring trilo in kicking and screaming...well i ended up carrying her into the kennel, she wouldnt go in of her own accord.
    I brought with her three blankets, a dog toy that drops gravy bones out when she moves it and some cushions. (all of which she uses on a day to day basis.

Anyway when i came home she was a happy as larry. TBh though, i's still have to carry her intot he kennels still.

The amin thing is don't molly coddle the dog when bringing her in, make sure she has enough of her belongings that she would normally use.
    All in all don't feel guilty, if you found the right kennels that will look after her the way you expect than the dog is in safe hands.
    You could also get the kennel staff to give you an honest account of how she got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Don't feel bad about leaving your dog in kennels, I leave mine in every time I go away, they love it. First time I (like you) was really worried about it, Would they pine for me? Would they be well cared for etc. You've obviously done your homework and have choosen a reputable Kennel, (be sure your dogs vaccinations are up to date) Relax and enjoy your holiday, Most important; Before you take your dog in, spend at least 2 hours with him, Bring him for a really long walk to tire him out physically and play/work with him to tire him out mentally. This will help him adjust to his new surroundings far more quickly. (A bored dog won't settle so fast)
    Treat this as normal and your dog will too, Treat this as a big deal, so will he, When you come home, DO NOT treat your dog like he's done something amazing, he hasn't, walk in, ignore him, pay the owner, walk your dog to the car, NO fussing over him, and drive home as normal, NOW you can make a fuss of him. Bring him for a walk/play. Life returns to normal very quickly for him. The bigger a deal YOU make it, the more difficult it will be for him. Best of luck, First time is always hardest, for you and him. After this, its a doddle, expensive, but worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement