Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xfx 8800 Gtx

Options
  • 14-11-2006 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Well it finally arrived today! Ordered on launch day so I guess it still counts. :D :eek: :cool: :) Here are some pics!

As you can see compared to a dvd, it's really a beast of a card. No extra games included just the driver disk, which I probably won't use. Now off to the bench cave!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Nice one. Where did you buy online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Dabs, really good service. I highly recommend them over Ocuk. Last gpu I bought from them the seal was already broken on it and an oem cpu I also bought from them had an imprint of a heatsink on it. Personally I think they test a lot of the stuff out before they sell them, which is just plain wrong. Hopefully this one will be a good clocker. Dling the drivers now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Jezz...why would you even need a 1st generation DX10 card, it's probably not 100% compliant, it uses tons of power and prduces tons of heat.

Wait for gen. 2 on a 80nm fab, or better still 65nm...wait for GDDR4 and especially wait for nVidia to sort out the thermals and power usage.

In 6 months your €650 card will be worth €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Cause he wants to play games now at 1920x1200 with 16x AA and with good framerates and better image quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Flaccus wrote:
    Cause he wants to play games now at 1920x1200 with 16x AA and with good framerates and better image quality.

Oh no he didn't!!

• Advertisement

Jezz...why would you even need a 1st generation DX10 card, it's probably not 100% compliant, it uses tons of power and prduces tons of heat.

Wait for gen. 2 on a 80nm fab, or better still 65nm...wait for GDDR4 and especially wait for nVidia to sort out the thermals and power usage.

In 6 months your €650 card will be worth €300.

Cos everyone who is buying one for the latest DX9 power, there isn't even any DX10 games yet so it's not like you can even try that out. If DX10 is your thing, then yeah wait. :rolleyes:

Of course things are getting better all the time, you don't need to list out what techs will be improved. There will always be improvements. If you've want the best DX9 graphics card atm, this is it. Image quality, power and new features all make this a worthwhile leap from x1900xt. Good thing I skipped the GX2. :D

It's idling at 65C in a warm room, which is quite high. There have been a few problems, crashing and what not. I don't know if it's the drivers or the hard drive. Using the latest 97.02 forceware. It's different coming from ati where the tweaking options were fairly limited in comparison.

Played BF2, oblivion, dark messiah might and magic @ 2560x1600. So good so far. More tweaking to do to get it just right. Haven't touched overclocking yet.

I've got a 7600GS, works just dandy...i'm waiting for generation 2 cards.

I've got a 7600GS, works just dandy...i'm waiting for generation 2 cards.
    Good for you, everyone has different ideas about for upgrading.

Should'a bought a GTS and overclocked it, save a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The gts is a fast card, but the memory when overclocked is 200mhz slower then the gtx, And almost the same for the core. I took the GTS as i will be adding 2 more in a few months for tripple sli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

anti wrote:
    i will be adding 2 more in a few months for tripple sli.

I just fell off my seat... ARE u mad!!!! triple sli on a 20" monitor... good god it makes no sense... The rooms starting to spin Arrrggghhhhh :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This is not the monitor i plan to use then. Like i said on another thread, This monitor is mainly for my xbox. I plan to get somehting alot bigger, When my credit card recovers. Ive worked it off. In 14 weeks i can pay off the 2000£+ i just spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

what about the dell 30" sooo coool

Figured out how to enable nvidia's CSAA model. You have to enable "enhance the application setting" in the new cp and then select any form of aa within the game. Then the 8X, 16X and 16XQ modes are applied in game. Works well with BF2, then again it is an old game by todays standards.

Now playing wow @ 2560x1600 with 16AF & 16CSAA with Transparency sampling, damn does it look good! And it's a rock solid 60fps everywhere. Was it worth the upgrade, emm.... hell yeah! :)

I understand the who idea of an 8800, belive me...it's just experience has tought me that in 6 months a new revision will be out that's better, probably to compete with ATI.

Vista and all that goes with it i feel needs little time to mature, hardware and drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Should'a bought a GTS and overclocked it, save a fortune.
    And in 6months there'll be another ultra-expensive hot-as-feck card to waste money on.

Personally, I try to go mid-range performance at lower power consumption and as quiet as possible.
    Strike the balance between enough power to get stuff done and not be irritated by noise and heat while doing it. All without breaking the bank.

But if I got a GTX for 200euro I'd quickly change my tune.

SyxPak wrote:
    And in 6months there'll be another ultra-expensive hot-as-feck card to waste money on.

Personally, I try to go mid-range performance at lower power consumption and as quiet as possible.
    Strike the balance between enough power to get stuff done and not be irritated by noise and heat while doing it. All without breaking the bank.

But if I got a GTX for 200euro I'd quickly change my tune.
    It's actually very quite compared the x1800\x1900 dustbusters that are out there. You can only really hear it when the fan is at 100% and I haven't heard it kick in at 100% yet while gaming. The difference really is the quality and smoothnees of image at high resolutions as many of the online reviewers have said. You won't get the same perceived increase in performance at lower resolutions.

Advertisement