Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom threatening legal action

Options
  • 14-11-2006 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hey,
    Try to keep things short.
    I recently had a line activated with eircom in order to get broadband with another provider. I did this straight away so was expecting to get a relatively small bill from Eircom i.e. a few weeks worth of line rental. Also, Eircom have stated on their website for around half a year at least that there is no activation charge for phone line. Anyway, about a week after activation, eircom sent me out a bill looking for 2 months line rental and activation charge (around €50). I ring them up a number of times, explaining my situation, and basically get either ignored, told to wait and the bill will be updated or I have to pay the bill and I will be reimbursed at a future date. So I decide to wait to get the final account closure bill and when it comes, it still has the activation charge. I can't get through to them that I shouldn't have to pay this. Anyway, I get a letter in the post yesterday from eircom saying they will persue legal action against me if I don't pay within 10 days. I don't want this because, even though I'm right, my name will be listed and I'll get a bad credit rating.
    can anyone give any suggestions on what I should do?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

if you have proof (ie a screenshot /weblink) from their website stating that there is no activation charge (dated if at all possible)..then you can show eircom this and claim it/ or if they insist on bringing you to court you can bring this as a defence. Also I would log the dates/times you made calls to Eircom and who you talked to.

Also report the issue to Comreg (just to have it on file..not that Comreg will do anything!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I did the exact same as yourself mate. Phoned eircom and got the line activated, they told me it would be 3 working days before I could order broadband.As soon as the 3 days passed I was gone to another provider.

Eircom of course sent me a bill for the first few months charges etc in advance for 50 odd quid, I popped the bill back in an envelope with a chq for a tenner with a note telling them I had paid the line rental pro-rata for the days I actually was on eircom till I moved and thats all they were getting...never heard anything since.

In your case I would get an official complaint logged with eircom...and comreg. Get them to show you were you agreed to a connection fee...of course they wont be able to :o I would be amazed if it got anywhere near court, once you have the compliants and queries logged you are rightly protected from them so I wouldnt worry a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Counter their threat with Small Claims court action, if it is applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

The same thing happened my mum, they added 100euro to the first bill when it was supposed to be free line activation (as seen on their website). 10 minutes on the phone and they scrubbed it from the bill. ;)

Advertisement