Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It came from the stars !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Since evolution is hot topic on both this forum I thought I'd give you the heads up on what might potentially be an interesting topic. Well I at least I think it is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6146292.stm

Certainly very interesting, though I think the idea that these are just a very weird form of Earth life is more plausable. It is always best to stick to the facts until all options are exhausted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if it turns outr to be true it will be interesting and all but it doesn't really matter. even if life started on another planet we still have the same problem with the 'how' it started in the first place, and of course I'm sure there will be aliens killing each other (maybe us too!) over the 'why'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Wow, it actually would make sense and blow the Christian ideals straight out of the water if proven.

But where did they come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

layke wrote:
    Wow, it actually would make sense and blow the Christian ideals straight out of the water if proven.

There's lots of things that blow Christian ideals out of the water, hasn't stopped them though...

Zillah wrote:
    There's lots of things that blow Christian ideals out of the water, hasn't stopped them though...

Very true

I can see the explination now

All the water from the Flood was blasted into space by God (this is a common YEC theory of where all the water went to) and formed the frozen comets that orbit the sun. These bateria were original on Earth but got sucked up with the water. Now when they fall to Earth they are simply returning home, as God knew they would, after being on a long journey.

Plausability has never got in the way of Creationists before, I doubt this would stop them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I read the explanation for this in a New Scientist of a few weeks back. I think it was terrestrial bacteria of some sort, it was certainly quite a mundane root cause when compared to the 'alien seed of all human life' theory

Good story when it first came out though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I remain on a high state of scepticism (Scepcon 2).

Though that documentary tonight will pass the last hour before "LOST". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I remain on a high state of scepticism (Scepcon 2).

Though that documentary tonight will pass the last hour before "LOST". ;)

omigod don't tell me horizon are doing a docu on this ffs, everybody hates horizon now

omigod don't tell me horizon are doing a docu on this ffs, everybody hates horizon now
    Just watched it. Meh.
    Sounded to me like some people manipulating "evidence" to promote their pet theories.

The really interesting guys were the ones building a sub to go to Europa in a shed in Texas. That's cool science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

beans wrote:
    I read the explanation for this in a New Scientist of a few weeks back. I think it was terrestrial bacteria of some sort, it was certainly quite a mundane root cause when compared to the 'alien seed of all human life' theory

Good story when it first came out though

Trentepohlia spores, I believe - it's an alga that forms lichens (along with a fungal partner). The paper is here.

The problem with a lot of these possible panspermia events is the sheer quantity of material. Red rains frequently deposit tens of thousands of kilos - and if a meteor big enough to carry such an organic mass in addition to itself hit the atmosphere, we would know all about it.

Panspermia itself, though - interesting theory. Not really any less plausible than biogenesis on Earth alone.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Wicknight wrote:
    Very true

I can see the explination now

All the water from the Flood was blasted into space by God (this is a common YEC theory of where all the water went to) and formed the frozen comets that orbit the sun. These bateria were original on Earth but got sucked up with the water. Now when they fall to Earth they are simply returning home, as God knew they would, after being on a long journey.

Plausability has never got in the way of Creationists before, I doubt this would stop them.

I like that one. I like it a lot. Dare you to say it to Captain Capslock...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Shouldn't this be on the science board? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

(Scepcon 2).

Quality :)

These are interesting developments! I'll await further experimentation and understanding before I pass judgement :) I don't wanna sway the scientists' opinions before they even do the experiment ;)

"But... Dave thinks......"

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

DaveMcG wrote:
    Quality :)

I also thought that was very good :)

Yeah I must say Horizon isn't what it used to be. The producers seem more interesting in dramtic "OH MY GOD" moments music than actually explaining something.

For example yesterdays show they made a big deal about the red cells not having any DNA, in a "OH MY GOD!" kinda way. And then, almost as a foot note, it turned out 15 minutes later that oh no wait, yes actually they do contain DNA. Which kinda made the whole program rather pointless.

And the bit at the end when they asked people to email in with ideas like ESP for Horizon to investigate I just shook my head. Its turning into Haunting on Living TV...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Some people clearly watched too much Battlestar Galactica when they were younger.

"There are those who believe that life here began out there, far across the universe, with tribes of humans who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. They may have been the architects of the great pyramids, or the lost civilizations of Lemuria or Atlantis. Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man who even now fight to survive somewhere beyond the heavens..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Some people clearly watched too much Battlestar Galactica when they were younger.
    You dare speak ill of battlestar galactica ! Mod's mod's ban him, to the stake with him. Begone the power of christ compels you !

You dare speak ill of battlestar galactica ! Mod's mod's ban him, to the stake with him. Begone the power of christ compels you !
    Well I am in the middle of BG season 2 at the moment...

But in monkeyfudge's defense, I have heard you can get too much of a good thing.

Okay who shouted "nerd"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh come on now... as great as the new series is the old disco version from the 70's was pretty terrible.

Did you know that Glen A. Larson was originally going to make it about a bunch of Mormons traveling through space as he himself is a Mormon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw the Horizon prog last night - it was interesting but not exactly weighty.
    Sadly the BBCs factual science stuff is now tailored for 12 year olds in the United States who shows some signs of curiousity. AA Gill in the Sunday Times, blasted the beeb for the Planet Earth series on the same grounds.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Entering Scepcon 1...

Advertisement