Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[article] Swords Pavilions due for enormous extension

• 14-11-2006 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Surface car parks to be developed into retail, office, residential, hotels and leisure.
    Swords Pavilions due for enormous extension

12 November 2006 By Neil Callanan
    Developer Joe O’Reilly is likely to spend between €300 million and €400 million on extending The Pavilions retail scheme in Swords by around 50,000 square metres and is also planning to develop around 95,000 square metres of overhead offices, hotels and leisure facilities.

O’Reilly acquired the shopping centre and an adjoining 5.2 acre site earlier this year for €575 million and unveiled his preliminary plans for the future development of the centre at the BCS C showcase in Manchester, one of the major retail events of the year.

The development strategy aims to turn the centre ‘‘into a major regional destination serving north Dublin’’.

That will be achieved by developing just under 50,200 square metres of new retail space as a third phase of the scheme, bringing the total amount of retail on site to more than 92,000 square metres.

The new phase would have two department stores, to be targeted by the likes of Marks & Spencer and Debenhams, and would bring the total number of shops in the centre to around 260.

The town centre element of the extension would involve the construction of more than 92,000 square metres of office, residential, hotel and leisure space. O’Reilly hopes that a new metro/transport interchange will be built next to the centre which will help facilitate a high density scheme on the site. A planning application is likely to be lodged in the spring.

Dunnes, Superquinn and TK Maxx anchor the existing Pavilions scheme which has 65 shops and restaurant. The centre opened five years ago and the phase two extension, measuring around 9,290 square metre extension and including 20 new shops, is under construction.

An 11-screen cinema opened last week.

Irish Life and Irish Property Unit Trust are to buy part of the existing shopping centre from O’Reilly. He is best known for his involvement in Castlethorn Construction, which developed the Dundrum Shopping Centre.

It is also developing around 10,000 homes in Adamstown near Lucan and earlier this year bought a site in Woodbrook at Shankill for €160 million.

O’Reilly has a stake in the Ilac shopping centre off Henry Street and is developing a retail scheme on South King Street in the city centre which has attracted high quality tenants H&M and Zara.

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=COMMERCIAL-qqqs=property-qqqid=18730-qqqx=1.asp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

thats great to hear! didnt think that the pav could get any bigger. this joe o reilly lad seems to not want to stop building. i suppose its good to have the cinema there and all but think he mite be takin it a bit too far with all of this. the place is bad enough as it is
    he must be worth a fair few quid if hes gona go ahead with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Hmm, just wondering where all this is going to go as the centre is closed in on 3 sides by roads?

Even the Pennys development brought the centre out right to the edge of the street (the original centre that was the old Superquinn development had a small amount of parking out the front - was actually a nice development and was surprised that nothing was made of this).

Also, reading last week's Fingal Independent apparently parking in the village area (i.e. all-day parking for people working in the town centre) is at crisis point and the free parking available is full by 8am. I could see difficulties in getting PP for a significantly bigger development unless they started knocking housing estates around the place.

I would also guess that traffic congestion in the area would not enthuse developers to creating a Blachardstown-like monstrosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

shoegirl wrote:
    Hmm, just wondering where all this is going to go as the centre is closed in on 3 sides by roads?

The surface car parks will be redeveloped with parking underground, this will include the currently undeveloped corner and where Burkes house used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

i believe ray burkes old house it part of the development and i think the current ground car parts are going to be rooted up and built into high rise car parks, offices and the likes

i also believe the housing opposite the pavillions is owned by the pavillions and are rented out ( though i may be wrong on that )

Advertisement