Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vaio Laptop keyboard drank some coke

• 14-11-2006 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

One of my users has spilled some coke on her laptop keyboard. I've removed it and mopped up the excess. I've washed ordinary keyboards before with no problems but I'm wondering is it safe/stupid to rinse this keyboard with water and let dry ?

Any thoughts or prior experience ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

you COULD wash it with water, I havent the foggiest how you'd dry it afterwards, Ive washed salt off mobo's with water, and used a compressor to dry it, but that's not gonna work on the keyboard as u can wave bubye to the keys! And I wouldnt even dream about turning it on until you're 100% sure she's all dried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to laptop forum.

And washing a laptop keyboard with water ends up with a dead laptop imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You could remove the keyboard from the laptop but that would probably be a bit extreme given its just some coke on it. However future concerns about the coke getting to other parts of the laptop might be an issue. I mean the guts of the laptop are just under the keyboard and liquid and electronics and all that.

Anyway I'd just use a damp cloth and clean it with bit of pressure. It should come off easily enough. I wouldn't have it wet enough that drops will fall into the laptop. Then use something to dry off the moisture from the keyboard. If neccessary repeat until the Coke is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

How much coke? Did it go past the membrane or was it all sitting there in a nice little puddle? :)
    Don't wash it unless it's actually causing keys to physically stick (Even then, a BARELY damp j-cloth and a quick wipe should do the trick) - this will cause more problems than it solves. Liquid damage's a bitch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

using a hand dryer / hair dryer would almost certainly kill it.

isopropyl alcohol is a fairly handy solvent too

sony parts can be pricy :(

tissue paper or blotting paper to soak up the coke - the problem with coke is that the sugar sticks everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

I had the same problem with a dell laptop myself except the coke was mixed with some vodka.

I removed the keyboard and cleaned the contact sheets underneath with some IPA and alls working again.

Advertisement