Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Park Convent, Drumcondra

Options
  • 14-11-2006 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone from here has done any investigation into possible hauntings at High Park Convent. I guess most of you would know of the history of the building but if not here is some info:
    http://www.netreach.net/~steed/portfolio/write/magdalene.html

"When the 133 graves at High Park were discovered, a huge cry went up among Irish society. What would become of these sad women and their legacy? Many of the graves were unmarked."

Probably shouldn't post this but I work in part of the building and have been told by many people of strange happenings they have experienced most recently a ruler flew up into the air from a desk and smashed mid air, leaving pieces all over the room.

Other things I have heard about from guards and other staff are voices being heard in places where no people are like crying and screaming. I am often here alone in the mornings and have heard things like very loud banging in the walls and doors slamming around the place.

I can only imagine it is worse in the parts of the building in which the girls were actually living.

Would be interesting for some to investigate the building I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Very interesting, I went to college in a building off Summerhill which has a similar history I believe.

What is the building used for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kivun Sotilas

6th wrote:
    Very interesting, I went to college in a building off Summerhill which has a similar history I believe.

One part of the building (the place the girls lived in I believe) is used as like a hostel thing for men who are homeless.

The other part is an organisation that rents affordable housing.

Some people have worked here since it was first sold by the Nuns and took part in the removal of old things from the building. I wish some of that stuff was still here. They sold alot of it but she said they found some weird stuff and rooms where babies had been obviously living. They had alot of the girls clothes in big trunks. It is all gone now.

More similarities, the building on Portland Row - half the building is a hostel for Down&Outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Interesting both buildings have a very similiar history...

I imagine there is a certain amount of negative energy coming from the current occupants in the buildings perhaps this is attracting the previous negative energies that would have been there. Not sure if that completely makes sense

It does Gillo, and a good theory too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've never even heard of this place and I live in Drumcondra! Where abouts is it?!

tk123 wrote:
    I've never even heard of this place and I live in Drumcondra! Where abouts is it?!

Grace Park Road, you have probably seen it before. Hard to miss the huge building on top of the hill when you are sitting at the traffic lights on Collins and Swords Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Actually, was talking to a guy the other week, said he was working as a security guard in here...he said there was some pretty odd stories coming out of it.

Doors locked one second, open the next, as he called them, 'shadows' walking around. Don't know him, so can;t say these are 100% accurate, but seeing as there's a thread here and all :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aratcam

Interestingly my school used to rent a portion of the convent. One of the students went utterly mad and went running around the building screaming.
    Before it was knocked down the "St. Mary's building" as it was called, We used to use the facility that was used by the women to do our own laundry. it always had a very creepy air about it, but we never heard anything about the history of the building. I left there in March 1993 when they were in talks of selling. there were little tiny roms with pink walls, and we were confused why there were son amny cramped in this huge freezing dormitory n the second floor. We were told only it was a reform school for "bad girls". In hindsite it all makes sense. there was always a very strange energy in that building nobody could just put their finger on, just a constant feeling of dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Grace Park Road, you have probably seen it before. Hard to miss the huge building on top of the hill when you are sitting at the traffic lights on Collins and Swords Rd.

I'm at them lights everyday and i never seen it. Are you coming from town?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mesa1

I was just wondering if anyone from here has done any investigation into possible hauntings at High Park Convent. I guess most of you would know of the history of the building but if not here is some info:
    http://www.netreach.net/~steed/portfolio/write/magdalene.html

"When the 133 graves at High Park were discovered, a huge cry went up among Irish society. What would become of these sad women and their legacy? Many of the graves were unmarked."

Probably shouldn't post this but I work in part of the building and have been told by many people of strange happenings they have experienced most recently a ruler flew up into the air from a desk and smashed mid air, leaving pieces all over the room.

Other things I have heard about from guards and other staff are voices being heard in places where no people are like crying and screaming. I am often here alone in the mornings and have heard things like very loud banging in the walls and doors slamming around the place.

I can only imagine it is worse in the parts of the building in which the girls were actually living.

Would be interesting for some to investigate the building I think.
    hello kivun
    why dont the people here not set up an investigation id be up for that.i know some people who could give some tips on wat to do and wat not to do.it would be interesting to see wat comes up.my freind was talking to a girl who lives in the apartments there and she said that she doubts that the bodies were removed from the graves prior to building.there has to be quite a lot of activety due to wat happened.the last ml shut down in 1996 i think its hard to believe they still had one running in the 90,s i wouldent say it was anyway near as bad as the way they used to be.those nuns were bad people back then i hope the bad ones went to the firey depths of hell along with the preists:mad:if anyone wants to do it let me know we wouldent have any equiptment though but digital cameras are good for picking up things

6th wrote:

i heard the building is derelict now but there must be a protection order on it but if someone wants it gone say for building reasons theyl just get it burnt to the ground wat can u do then

the film dosent even come close to wat happened to those women and children

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6m9GMGQFkw

sorry i posted in the wrong place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Dublingirl23

Hey

Just wanted to re-activate this thread. Myself and a friend, went up to have a look atound here a few weeks back and it was a horrible atmosphere....

I'd be very interested to bring a medium along with me, to check this place out.

We shot a video of it, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HliU0bee_Uw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 calexico

Hi Dublingirl23,

I recently started to take interest in the Magdalene laundries cause and I would like to take some photographs in the places where all these atrocities happened.
    Do you have a list of locations by any chance?
    Hey

Just wanted to re-activate this thread. Myself and a friend, went up to have a look atound here a few weeks back and it was a horrible atmosphere....

I'd be very interested to bring a medium along with me, to check this place out.

We shot a video of it, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HliU0bee_Uw

Sure have a list of the laundries here :)

http://tethys.croydon.ac.uk/magdalenecircle.nsf/pages/GoodShepherdConvent/$FILE/magmap.jpg

Let me know how you get on. Try google earth as well, for more specific results. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

just realised where this place is now. My aunt lives in the apartments built behind the old convent, have stayed with her a good few times and have met several taxi drivers who refuse to go to the back gates of the apartments at night because they have seen strange shadows and seen things in and around the convent, Dont know if they were talking rubbish or not but is a fairly creepy place at night

I definitely got a sickening feeling walking around it. That is very interesting, I wonder how anyone would go about further investigating this convent before its demolished....

Lets keep this thread alive with our vids and photos. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 calexico

Dublingirl23, you're just brill!
    Thanks very much for that!
    I'm interested in taking some photos of the buildings in Dublin (unless they've been demolished...).
    And yes, we can arrange for a bunch of us to go there.
    What do you guys think?
    Sure have a list of the laundries here :)

http://tethys.croydon.ac.uk/magdalenecircle.nsf/pages/GoodShepherdConvent/$FILE/magmap.jpg

Let me know how you get on. Try google earth as well, for more specific results. :D

• Advertisement

Heya,

It's not demolished yet. We were up there in October and the back of it looks like it's had some builders in. Overall, it's easy enough to access. I wasn't brave enough to go inside the derelict buildings, but sure i guess someone would be brave enough to go inside and take some photos. :D:D There's a few of these places in Ireland (10 I think). The Cork one looks huge. I am arranging to head down there after Xmas, with a friend of mine.

Looking forward to getting some good shots of this place :)

The video of it, is on my youtube www.youtube.com/irishplaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 retroireland

went to the old High Park convent yesterday for a wander around, it sure was creepy, posted some pictures from inside the place here....

http://www.barelythereireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=111

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Is there any word on a group going up to High Park some night? Also bare in mind you should get permission from the land owners to be there, you don't want the gard's being called!

Ye let's sort something out :)

I'm not even sure who owns that land these days ??? It wouldn't be the nuns, perhaps we should ask Dublin City Council ?? Not entirely sure on that issue....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Ye let's sort something out :)

I'm not even sure who owns that land these days ??? It wouldn't be the nuns, perhaps we should ask Dublin City Council ?? Not entirely sure on that issue....
    Might be a good idea to try and get one or two investigators to go aswell!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 retroireland

Ziycon wrote: »
    Is there any word on a group going up to High Park some night? Also bare in mind you should get permission from the land owners to be there, you don't want the gard's being called!

probably better off getting permission if you can, but as the building is unsafe they probably won't be able to let you in....

i was there in the afternoon yesterday with 2 friends and we were spotted from the window of the business that's located beside the convent, but no-one came out to stop us and we hopped the wall and got all the pictures that we wanted......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 IrelandsEye2009

yeah myself and retroireland and limerick student went to explore the place. it was very very creepy. unsettling to say the least. for all the pictures check them out at www.barelythereireland.com/forum/index.php we have almost every well know derelict building photographed . also i thin kti would be great to go to the Convent with a few people to investigate, i have heard some crazy stuff in that place. voices and bangs !

Hello all, I haven't posted on here for a long time. I don't live in Ireland anymore but was wondering about this thread I made years ago.

Still a bit disturbed by events that happened when I worked in that building, alone early in the mornings.

I currently work in a very haunted building in Australia, alone in the basement agh!

just realised where this place is now. My aunt lives in the apartments built behind the old convent, have stayed with her a good few times and have met several taxi drivers who refuse to go to the back gates of the apartments at night because they have seen strange shadows and seen things in and around the convent, Dont know if they were talking rubbish or not but is a fairly creepy place at night

I had to walk through that park every night by myself in the dark and I did find it really really creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

my friend and i walked his dog around that convent for years, i still live just across the road from it. it really isnt a nice place, the worst was the big work house which has since burned down and was replaced by apartments.

Advertisement