Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Park Convent, Drumcondra

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 culchiewoman

Hi,

Could I have your permission to link to your eerie YouTube video of High Park Convent at www.magdalenelaundries.com?

Many thanks,

Mari Steed
    Justice for Magdalenes Committee
    www.magdalenelaundries.com
    www.netreach.net/~steed/magdalen.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dee232007

Of course :)

Work away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭scottser

high park is a freaky place alright. there is a therapeutic community located on the site run by merchants quay, and most of the site is social housing administered by respond housing. i've been up there a few times and there is a really intense energy from it as most of the original convent is still there, albeit derelict. i had a wander through it a couple of years ago and left feeling sad and hopeless for no apparent reason. one of the guys who works up there told me that they often find shoes, hats or momentos belonging to the children they would have had to give up. i hope they don't develop that site - it should be a shrine to the girls who suffered there, and their energy is still palpable and present.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

That website in relation to the laundarys is very interesting...Ye are after sparking my interest now I may see if I can take a trip to the Good Shepard in Cork at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ray101

I was in the building 3 weeks ago and knew straight away bad things had accured there.I asked is there ghosts here and then was told what the place was.You can feel the death and sorrow in the walls.Would love to go and investigate if any one is interested.Or maybe some things are best left alone.What do you think....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

ray101 wrote: »
    I was in the building 3 weeks ago and knew straight away bad things had accured there.I asked is there ghosts here and then was told what the place was.You can feel the death and sorrow in the walls.Would love to go and investigate if any one is interested.Or maybe some things are best left alone.What do you think....

Generally people in the community dont even like talking about these places I seriously doubt you would get permission to investigate and it would be about as ethical as asking Eamonn Lillis's daugther could you investigate her place. So no, some places are out of bounds and this is certainly one of them

Grimes wrote: »
    Generally people in the community dont even like talking about these places I seriously doubt you would get permission to investigate and it would be about as ethical as asking Eamonn Lillis's daugther could you investigate her place. So no, some places are out of bounds and this is certainly one of them

May I ask why you think it's out of bounds and why it would be unethical to visit it?

The only remaining building of the complex left is the industrial school.As far as I know the building that contained the magdalene laundry was burnt down/demolished and is now replaced by appartments.Even so I wouldn't consider visiting a long abandoned magdalene laundry unethical and wouldn't think twice about doing so.

Anyway back to the topic...I visited High Park Convent last year with 2 friends.Getting inside wasn't too hard,the only problem is that it's location makes it difficult to enter.Anyway once inside it became apparent that the remaining building was infact the industrial school (St.Michaels I think) which closed in the nineties.Some photos in this album if anyone's interested http://pix.ie/limerickstudent/album/333862

27D7F37E9E6C423781C466725A5C9CC0-500.jpg

17F9EAE2D5A049F99E249F7D6CBD77ED-500.jpg

AA9A91B5EBA147AEAE166E9D9581D949-500.jpg

C386B6D0781C40C9A986B67A5ECCCFA0-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

May I ask why you think it's out of bounds and why it would be unethical to visit it?

I never said anything against visiting it. I would have an issue with paranormal groups investigating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fred.dodds

We've just found from the 1901 census, that my wifes grandmother and her sister, aged 8 and 10,were living in the Sacred Heart Home, on Drumcondra road, and thier possible gradmother was an inmate aged 60, in High Park Convent, as a laundress. doe's anyone know if these two places were connected.??. We know her grandmother was laundress in Summerhill in 1918,,, anyone have any info,???:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

fred.dodds wrote: »
    We've just found from the 1901 census, that my wifes grandmother and her sister, aged 8 and 10,were living in the Sacred Heart Home, on Drumcondra road, and thier possible gradmother was an inmate aged 60, in High Park Convent, as a laundress. doe's anyone know if these two places were connected.??. We know her grandmother was laundress in Summerhill in 1918,,, anyone have any info,???:p:p

Well, the Sacred Heart Convent was a school, or an orphanage, for girls during the 1940s-1950s. I'm not sure how you would connect your wife's grandmother and her sister staying there to their grandmother's stay in High Park Convent, tbh.

Would it be possible that their grandmother had been placed in High Park Convent as a result of having a child outside wedlock? That was the primary reason for putting women in those institutions back then.

That, or they didn't have any family to look after them as children, or they were depressed. There were many reasons.

These sites might be able to help you further: http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search/index.php?simpleSearchSbm=true&category=19&searchDescTxt=high+park+convent&simpleSearchSbm=Search#searchfocus

http://www.dublindiocese.ie/content/archives

The Sisters of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge ran High Park Convent. I'm not sure who exactly ran the Sacred Heart Home, though it was obviously some type of religious order. I can't see any connection between both places but, then, I don't know all the details about these places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fred.dodds

Well, the Sacred Heart Convent was a school, or an orphanage, for girls during the 1940s-1950s. I'm not sure how you would connect your wife's grandmother and her sister staying there to their grandmother's stay in High Park Convent, tbh.

Would it be possible that their grandmother had been placed in High Park Convent as a result of having a child outside wedlock? That was the primary reason for putting women in those institutions back then.

That, or they didn't have any family to look after them as children, or they were depressed. There were many reasons.

These sites might be able to help you further: http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search/index.php?simpleSearchSbm=true&category=19&searchDescTxt=high+park+convent&simpleSearchSbm=Search#searchfocus

http://www.dublindiocese.ie/content/archives

The Sisters of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge ran High Park Convent. I'm not sure who exactly ran the Sacred Heart Home, though it was obviously some type of religious order. I can't see any connection between both places but, then, I don't know all the details about these places.
    Hi, Thanks for the reply, i'll try the other sites you gave,much oblidged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 K2011

Hi all,

There was a thread on this forum some time ago about one person’s experience at the CHAPELGATE complex on St. Alphonsus' Road in Drumcondra.

I understand that this is still a working convent/monastery with redemptorist nuns living on the grounds. Part of the original building has been converted into (public) apartments and it is this that is supposed to be haunted. The original poster of the other thread reported first hand experience in an apartment in this building. Around this building there are apartment blocks within the grounds.

Does anyone have any experiences of this location or information about those of others on any part of these grounds? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rob459

I was in that Convent in the late 60's the only thing I remember was the cruelty by the nuns.
    Hey

Just wanted to re-activate this thread. Myself and a friend, went up to have a look atound here a few weeks back and it was a horrible atmosphere....

I'd be very interested to bring a medium along with me, to check this place out.

We shot a video of it, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HliU0bee_Uw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

6th wrote: »
    More similarities, the building on Portland Row - half the building is a hostel for Down&Outs.

The Old maids ot was called, used to be church and old folks home (retired Nuns i think ) Priests name was Father Noonan, a gentleman. Spooky stories from that place afterwards , i knew a scaffolder before it was a College....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maryhmyers22

I am a paranormal investigator and would love the opportunity to investigate hyde park got my own equiptment also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Orlyworly

Hi there, my aunt lives in high park on the Grace park road , so stay there quite frequently, and I’m pretty sure there is a ghost of a young girl there. I know Im replying to an old post but maybe someone might know more about the area !!

Advertisement