Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEAR, HL 2 - joypad

Options
  • 14-11-2006 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi guys, can someone recommend the ideal joypad or stick for this (or is the mouse/keyboard simply better)?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Mouse/ Keyboard conbination is defintely the ideal choice for first person shooters like HL2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lets use a scale of 1-100 to guage how useful various things are.

For first person shooters a pad is a 5 or so. A mouse is 100. Go with a mouse and keyboard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

If you are going to play FPS on the PC, you may as well get used to the keyboard and mouse. Ive played many FPS games on consoles and the computer, and trust me, keyboard and mouse > joypad.

Also, if ever ventured to online gaming with a joypad, you will be pwned so badly. Its all about the accuracy in the mouse, and the movement functions on the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

However, if you just want to relax a litte (or have a TV as your PC screen), you should probably look at a wired Xbox 360 pad.
    Or, if you're feeling a little extravagant (and don't mind waiting & extra cables ;) ), a Logitech Xbox pad + a USB converter -- I tell you, that Logitech is the most comfortable pad I've ever used with Halo!

*edited for link

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Dunno how anyone can play a FPS with a joypad - must be like playing the piano with your feet. I thought given all the FPS moving into consoles that some sort of mouse/keyboard peripherals would have been fairly standard by now?

• Advertisement

Sand wrote:
    Dunno how anyone can play a FPS with a joypad - must be like playing the piano with your feet. I thought given all the FPS moving into consoles that some sort of mouse/keyboard peripherals would have been fairly standard by now?
    Find someone with an Xbox & Halo 1/2, then you'll see it's perfectly viable.

Besides, think of which is smaller (and thus more practical) to put around a couch -- 4 joypads (size of 4 small plates), or 4 mouse/keyboard combos (size of 4 food trays).
    Phantom apparently have some kind of lapboard coming out (just Google for it); but then again, Phantom also "had" a games console & online distribution model ready-to-go...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Find someone with an Xbox & Halo 1/2, then you'll see it's perfectly viable.

I've tried it. Pads suck ass. In my experience someone has to invest a huge amount of effort to become anyway competant with a pad in FPS, and even then they're still not at the standard that you'd have at the very start with a mouse. Its just an inferior control system.

You have a point with the availability of space though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I've always wondered if you could rig up a keyboard and mouse to an Xbox, would you have an edge in Halo over people using a Joypad. I think i recall seeing a usb connection that would let you hook a keyboard & mouse into an Xbox, but it think that was on Lik-Sang [R.I.P]

My friend has one of those (and he's a mad UT player too), yet he can't beat us pad-users. Go figure :rolleyes:
    Oh yeah, and it's PS/2. Maybe the prob is he doesn't have a laser mouse :p

Advertisement