Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review Forums suggestion

Options
  • 14-11-2006 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

This might not be implementable, at least without a lot of hassle, but anyway here's my suggestion - on the "Review forums" (Game Reviews, Film Reviews) - it would be cool if the thread rating were in control of the author of the thread.

So then scanning down through the threads on the forum you could see how many starts the reviewer gives the Game or Film, before reading the review.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I might be better if you told people to rate the thread based on the film/game rather than the content as some people will like films others will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    This might not be implementable, at least without a lot of hassle, but anyway here's my suggestion - on the "Review forums" (Game Reviews, Film Reviews) - it would be cool if the thread rating were in control of the author of the thread.

So then scanning down through the threads on the forum you could see how many starts the reviewer gives the Game or Film, before reading the review.

Even easier to put the number of stars as asterisks in the title of the thread, but it may be mistaken for profanity.

A half-way mark would be to add 5 new icons in the "Post Icons" selection: one to five stars. Presumably they could be added just for the "review" forums.
    Something like these:
    1.gif
    2.gif
    3.gif
    4.gif
    5.gif

Edit:

Just realised that those images are pretty similar to the ones that are already used to the thread rating anyway. Maybe if they were put in more of a circular or square arrangement, they would fit in better with the post icon look...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

tba wrote:
    I might be better if you told people to rate the thread based on the film/game rather than the content as some people will like films others will not.
    I meant just the thread author - so the star rating reflects his review - ie other posters can't influence the rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Could you not just use the poll system, like we do in 24 for each episode?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054935583

It's not so much like your idea, but atleast people will get an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I dont think thats what he wants. I might be wrong but I think;

RE*AC*TOR doesnt want to show the average rating ppl have for the thing being reviewed, he wants a way for the critic to visually display his rating, so you can see the authors opinion before reading the review

• Advertisement

Oh I see.

Well Cloud could get a plugin from vB.org that adds an extra thread bifield to the threadview that would show the rating but as Reactor has pointed out, this can be hastle for an admin as it's work to do.

You could make up some 1 to 5 post icons for threads (ie thumbs up icon) and ask an admin nicely if he would add them.

Or to add [*****], [5 stars] or [5/10] to the end of the thread title.

I think the post icons idea is a good one if it runs, it's simple to implement also.

RE*AC*TOR doesnt want to show the average rating ppl have for the thing being reviewed, he wants a way for the critic to visually display his rating, so you can see the authors opinion before reading the review
    Thank you Kap'n, I thought I was incoherent in explaining the point.

It may be too much hassle for the admins - in which case - fine, its only a suggestion.

Also - I forgot the Music Reviews forum above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

OP can just put in Title;

New Cruise Film (1/10)

etc.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

How about people actually read the review in order to find out what the person thinks about the film.

...yeah... Crazy, I know... I'll chut up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If that's the case then I think it's important to point out that the OP's individual opinion shouldn't be given special attention because they started the thread. The rating that's important is the average rating given by the OP and subsequent posters. Just because someone starts the review thread doesn't mean their opinion should be used alone to guide people! I've started a few review threads, that doesn't mean that my rating is the rating other people would give it. The "thread rating" option should be used in review forums for the purpose of reviewing the film rather than the thread as its intention originally was. It's the best system IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Sorry, what? Of course the reviewers opinion should take precedent, its his review! This is the Film Reviews Thread, not the 'what does everyone think of this movie' forum. Any star rating on the thread should reflect the quality of the reviews not the actual score given by the OP or the subsequent reviews.

If you disagree with the OP's sentiments or final score, write a review of your own.
    The OP's review won't guide people alone, the net weight of all the reviews and their reasoning and articulation will. The point behind the Film Review is the reasoning behind the rating, not the rating itself. Your way of implementation would nullify the incencitive to take the time to write an eloquent review.

Also, I hardly think people should ibe able to nfluence the score on a film review board without having to write a review themselves but simply vote in a poll.

If you want a general overview of what people rated a movie you should visit imbd.com

^^ what he said.

Sangre wrote:
    Sorry, what? Of course the reviewers opinion should take precedent, its his review! This is the Film Reviews Thread, not the 'what does everyone think of this movie' forum. Any star rating on the thread should reflect the quality of the reviews not the actual score given by the OP or the subsequent reviews.

So what is it, a race once the film comes out to see who gets to have their review up? There's only one thread allowed per movie, and rightfully so for the sake of organisation, so is it a case that whoever's got the fastest trigger finger (maybe the person who writes the shortest review) gets to have their opinion broadcast and the rest of us are irrelevent?

The average consensus is what should guide whether people go to see a movie or not -- not the fastest typist's opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I think just put scores in titles as was already suggested.

I write a review of Memoirs of a Geisha. It think it was pretty good, I title it "Memoirs of a Geisha 9/10".

Someone else reads my review. He think's it's a great review, he gives my review 5/5.

Someone else thinks my review sucks donkeys and begins to wonder if I've even seen the same film. He gives my review 1/5.

Someone else thinks my review sucks because even though he also liked it, he thinks I've completely not got the point. he gives my review 2/5.

I'm still saying the film is IMO 9/10. The voting is saying the thread itself is 2.6 out of 5.

Grand.

Maybe we should decide on what the actual point in the review forum is... Is it for people to share their opinions on a film? Or is it a place for people to practice writing reviews, and get critiqued for same?

I would have thought the former.

Still nobody has convinced me of why the person who starts the thread should have their rating count above everyone else's. Unless we start allowing multiple threads for each film, which would be silly.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

DaveMcG wrote:
    Still nobody has convinced me of why the person who starts the thread should have their rating count above everyone else's. Unless we start allowing multiple threads for each film, which would be silly.

Do you scratch out the rating that a journo in the Irish Times gives a film?

It's a review board, why not have multiple threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

There's an option for rate thread, which could be changed to film/game etc rating perhaps on those specific fora?

And take away the minimum number of votes required before it takes effect.

Also, maybe add thread rating to the quick reply box somewhere?

CuLT wrote:
    Do you scratch out the rating that a journo in the Irish Times gives a film?

It's a review board, why not have multiple threads?

Well I don't go out of my way to read reviews in newspapers, but The Times doesn't allow multiple people to give their opinion on the film, boards does. For that reason newspapers don't just drag in Mary or Billy off the street and ask them their opinion. They get people with some knowledge of films and some insight, to give a more informed opinion than "it's crap/it's alright". But at the end of the day it's still one opinion, so no, I don't scratch it out, but I don't take it as "The Truth" either. You may notice critics differ in their opinions.

As to multiple threads, I'm not the mod of the forum, that's Karl Hungus. He's the one who closes repeat threads, so you'll have to ask him, but I'm sure he'll say something along the lines of: it makes the forum messy having repeats, it's good for organisation purposes to have individual threads, since someone can go "I wonder what that World Trade Centre film is like...", find the appropriate thread, and have a list of a few users' opinions. Much better than having to click through each person's individual thread.
    On top of that, if everyone has their own thread for review, then you'll find that after the original post, most of the threads will quickly become redundant as another one is posted, and it'll sink to the bottom.

I don't see any reason why you would allow multiple threads. Can you give a reason? Is it broke? Why fix it?

Advertisement