Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving away purchases ?

Options
  • 14-11-2006 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Lets say I have a competition and the item I'm giving away I purchased is €100. The competition is just a way of bringing in more business and it doesn't cost anything for someone to enter.

How would this work when I claim this on my expenses?, or what would I do in this situation ? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

BreadBoard wrote:
    Lets say I have a competition and the item I'm giving away I purchased is €100. The competition is just a way of bringing in more business and it doesn't cost anything for someone to enter.

How would this work when I claim this on my expenses?, or what would I do in this situation ? :confused:
    That €100 would be tax exempt I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

So, I would not have to pay tax on the item as it was giving away in a competition?

Also would there be anyway I could claim back some of the €100 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

BreadBoard wrote:
    So, I would not have to pay tax on the item as it was giving away in a competition?
    No, you would pay tax on the purchase of the item, ie VAT and afaik you couldn't claim that back.
    You would subtract €100 from your taxable income when calculating PAYE or corporation tax, whichever is applicable.
    BreadBoard wrote:
    Also would there be anyway I could claim back some of the €100 ?
    From who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Gurgle wrote:
    No, you would pay tax on the purchase of the item, ie VAT and afaik you couldn't claim that back.
    You would subtract €100 from your taxable income when calculating PAYE or corporation tax, whichever is applicable.

Ok thanks for the info. :)
    Gurgle wrote:
    From who?

Dunno, anyone :D.. I'm new to all this and I just taught I'd put the question out there.

Advertisement