Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Transfer Costs

Options
  • 14-11-2006 5:13pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently I was threatened with legal action for running a forum which referred to a global brand in its name. (I won't mention its name!!!).
    I recently received this...
    We appreciate your co-operation regarding the change of the domain name for your Forum, but would still insist that you transfer the domain name "***.co.uk" to us. We would be willing to grant you a further 3 months period to inform your members and visitors about the new domain name of the Forum. After expiry of this transitional period we would request you to transfer the domain name to us. If you agree with our proposal we would be willing to reimburse you the costs for the transfer of the domain name "***.co.uk".

My usage of ***.co.uk was not damaging to the brand, it actually helped the brand IMO but it did infringe on their trademark and I would like to continue using it but will be pressurised into not using it or transferring it to them.

Now, if I decide to transfer it to them, should I charge the *ahem* transfer admin fees and if so how much? Would "reimburse you the costs for the transfer of the domain name" include my costs? Obviously clarification from them is needed but I wanted some advice from others who may have experienced this kind of thing first.

I also own other domains pertinent to the global brand but not in use due to this 'dispute'. Should I mention them if Im likely to get a few bob?

*****Before Im accused of trying to milk them, it may appear like that but as i said earlier, I would prefer to keep these domains!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Were you contacted in writing?

If they were take a dispute to Nominet's arbitration it would probably cost them a high four figure sum (based on costs of legal advice for a .eu dispute), so you may be able to recoup a four figure sum, but you would be best advised to seek legal advice. If you need some contacts pop me an email

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Nothing less than a race-tuned 1990 M3 sports evo can compensate you. Remember that in your negotiations ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My thoughts exactly CuLT! With an M5 thrown in for goodwill!
    I was contacted initially in writing and from then on by email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

kbannon wrote:
    My usage of ***.co.uk was not damaging to the brand, it actually helped the brand IMO but it did infringe on their trademark and I would like to continue using it but will be pressurised into not using it or transferring it to them.

I think you just answered your own question - you did infringe on their copyright. Whatever way you try and look at this, fundamentally you are in the wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I didn't think people could threaten like this and get you to transfer the domain, i thought that once its registered in your name then you are the legal owner, if they want it they have to prove to the disppute board people that they are entitled to the domain name!

From what i believed i would of thought you could of kept the name unless the went to try dispute it!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement