Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restricting User Access in XP

• 14-11-2006 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey all security experts! I need advice!!!

I have had experiences in the past of the damage that can be done to computers when shared among friends and especially students with all there downloading, web surfing habits and eagerness to install unnecessary crap!!

Thus i have recently acquired a new laptop and theres not a sniff of me allowing any computer-tards to mess it up! So im gonna setup two accounts on windows, ADMIN and COMPUTER_TARDS. To save any rows im probably gonna call the computer_tard account the GUEST account. So here is so of my questions?

I have been using the group policy editor to restrict access to lots of stuff, drives, ctrl panel...etc However i am a bit of a tard myself and cannot find the difference between the ADMIN account and GUEST account when using gpedit.

1: In gpedit under UserCon..\AdminTemp... when you change access to programs and mess around with windows components, how do i only specify these changes for the guest account?? Basically I do want to change anythin in the GP editor for the ADMIN account but wanna change everything for the guest account!

2: When using the ADMN account one can set security access to any folder by right clicking and going to security tab. Is this the best way to restrict acess to certain folders?? Basically i dont want anyone to save to c:\ drive or anywhere on PC at all except for there MyDocuments folder.

3. I also might want to restrict access to people changing the start menu, or basically any settings on the start bar abd desktop. Can this be done?

4. I'm also seeking advice about protecting users from visiting unreliable (xxx, spyware, adware) sites! Because basically you tell people that they'll f*ck ur computer if they visit these sites, but no-one cares until your computer is virus ridden and unusable! I was thinkin of installing something like NetNanny. Is this a good website blocker? can anyone suggest any better? Also i suppose you can restrict the GUEST account from making any changes in NetNanny while the admin can change everything!

5. Finally, is this the best way to go about protecting ur computer? i was thinkin of doin away with the guest account and just creating another user, but restricting that using gpedit.msc

All i want is for the GUEST user to use the internet + some office programs + some games + be able to save to their MyDocuments folder. Everything else i want to restrict!!!

Any help, or helpful websites would be greatly appreciated. I couldnt find much sites in the way of 'User Policy'

cheers in advance

Comments

Advertisement