Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laser/Radar Detector

Options
  • 14-11-2006 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi every one was in spain last week and got a Laser/Radar Detector the make of it is a whistler 1565. dose any one know if its any good and will it work over here.

Thanks.
    Every one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

It will work fine.
    I'm not sure what the current fine for using one is, but the Guard who stops you will let you know.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Ah! Fond memories!

I owe my second pair of points to one of these little beauties!! Forget about it, and drive in the limits, mate. It's easier on the long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

overdriver wrote:
    Ah! Fond memories!

I owe my second pair of points to one of these little beauties!! Forget about it, and drive in the limits, mate. It's easier on the long run!
    Here, Here !

I had a Bel 550 which did the business but I still stopped using it after a while.

Lulls you into a false sense of security, (even when you set it to minimise false alerts), as a garda with a mobile laser gun will probably have you bang to rights, before it goes off.

The only good thing they do is increase the awareness of your speed.

Having said that, whipping it out of slight in a hurry might also be an issue should you get stopped unexpectedly. Some judges would throw the book at you if caught.

Best to keep your speed within the limits or thereabouts ... keep you eyes peeled ... give your full attention to the road ahead ... and not start thinking about your destination, work, wife, kids etc ... Enjoy the journey !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You'll need a jammer for laser, a laser detector will only tell you when you've just been caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Didn't the law change to make it an offence to have one in the car, whether it's turned on or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

It BeeMee wrote:
    Didn't the law change to make it an offence to have one in the car, whether it's turned on or not?

yes as far as im aware your right on that. It used to be legal to own one but not switch it on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I have one here you can have for nothing. Just don't blame me if it gets you in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭james92

Thanks every one i tink im going to forget about useing it. it was just some thing i got in spain for 20euro.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The law as it stands make it clear that these are illegal to own, buy, possess, use (pick a verb!)
    from oasis...
    It is an offence for anyone to use a speed meter detector in any vehicle in Ireland under the Road Traffic (Speed Meter Detectors) Regulations, 1991. Under this legislation, it is also an offence to import, fit and supply speed meter detectors and jammers.

The Gardai are empowered to seize this equipment if it is found in your vehicle or in your possession under the Customs Consolidation Act, 1876.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not that there are any useful speed camera location databases available here, but how would the law view the possession of a Road Angel type device, or a PDA based satnav with a speed camera database? Strictly speaking it doesn't "detect" anything, so doesn't fall under the same category. They're legal in the UK, where detectors are also illegal AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You would have to read up on the law but I suspect that if it somehow interfered with the gardai doing their job then its illegal.
    If the satnav device has the fixed camera locations inbuilt then I don't think it is illegal as this info is already public knowledge. However, Im no solicitor!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Anan1 wrote:
    You'll need a jammer for laser, a laser detector will only tell you when you've just been caught.

Trust me they are all useless.

For starts the Gardai only use laser detectors, no radar anymore.

Laser jammers cause an audible warning on the speed gun that its laser is being jammed.

Gardai have the power to search vehicles they suspect contains such a device. All Gardai who conduct speed checks know about this.

Judges give fairly hefty fines from what ive seen in district courts, also they make orders that the device is destroyed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Laser Detectors give you seconds, no more, and are very reliant on the gardai taking 2-3 readings of your car. Helpful if you're floating over the limit but if you're really speeding forget it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

Savman wrote:
    Laser Detectors give you seconds, no more, and are very reliant on the gardai taking 2-3 readings of your car. Helpful if you're floating over the limit but if you're really speeding forget it!

they take 1/4 sec. to get a reading, once the operator holds the thing steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Chief--- wrote:
    Laser jammers cause an audible warning on the speed gun that its laser is being jammed.
    I'm not sure that this is the case with all laser jammers. I have an M10 Blinder - I haven't used it in a few years, but when I did it worked perfectly.

Advertisement