Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dashboard surgery

Options
  • 14-11-2006 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

The backlight behind my speedometer has gone belly up, meaning I don't know how fast I'm driving at night. So I should probably get this fixed. Does anyone know if I could easily tackle this job myself? I don't feel like taking the car to a mechanic to repair what is probably a broken light bulb. The car is a 95 corolla, in case that matters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are you sure it's not just something simple like a fuse blown?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You know what, I should have thought of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

a blown fuse would most likely lead to none of the instrument cluster working at all
    there's small bulbs that go into the back of the instrument cluster, 1 of yours has probably blown - you should be able to remove your cluster with nothing more than a screw-driver.
    have a look around it - the cover should just pop off, although look around for screws (up top, facing down)
    if you don't feel confident enough to do this, bring it to a back-street mechanic, it shouldn't cost a lot to fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Or buy a penlight torch and leave on it the dash!

Mike.

Checked all the fuses, they were grand. I removed the plastic surround from the instrument cluster (and broke one of the plastic things that snaps into the dashboard, but that doesn't matter). I got bored then... it looks fairly simple, 4 screws mounting the whole thing. I'll tackle it when its daylight and I can park somewhere off the street. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Make sure you buy the bulb first - and maybe some Loctite! How are you gonna drive to the motor factors with the instrument cluster dangling by its wires :eek:

But seriously, it's an easy enough job. If your steering wheel is height adjustable let it down all the way for more room. Just tilt the dash forward once you've take all the screws out and you should be able to get easy enough access to the bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crosstownk wrote:
    Make sure you buy the bulb first - and maybe some Loctite! How are you gonna drive to the motor factors with the instrument cluster dangling by its wires :eek: .

You be surprised. I was changing a bulb in the safrane and got sidetracked. I was doing it outside my uncles house. I forgot about it and it was late when I was going home, so was tired and it was too dark to be fiddelign around with the dash. You just have to be carefull. :)

I'm within walking distance of a motor factors so I'll probably manage it. If I get lazy, I'll just stick a tealight or something up there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Stekelly wrote:
    You be surprised. I was changing a bulb in the safrane and got sidetracked. I was doing it outside my uncles house. I forgot about it and it was late when I was going home, so was tired and it was too dark to be fiddelign around with the dash. You just have to be carefull. :)

I drove around in my MkI Golf for a few days without any cluster whatsoever. On another occasion I drove around with no front wings! I once was part of a 'team' of 3 mechanics who drove around in the boot listening for a rattle in a 91 Astra!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crosstownk wrote:
    I once was part of a 'team' of 3 mechanics who drove around in the boot listening for a rattle in a 91 Astra!!

Cosy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I had the dash light go in my first car once, a VW Vento.

Was done for speeding one night at 1am.
    "Do you realise what speed you were going?"
    errr....no I didn't, but I didn't/couldn't tell the guard that ....

Anyway, the light on the odometer and the little digital clock worked, so by putting a piece of silver paper under it, it reflected enough light to see where the needles were pointing.....

Advertisement