Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical quote, bit high I think?

Options
  • 14-11-2006 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Im in a bit of a spot at the moment. I have called 9 electricians in Bray/Shankill/Greystones and only 2 agreed to come out to look at our job, one quoted, the other has disappeared off the face of the planet.

Anyway what I am looking for is my existing distribution board (which is pretty new since rewiring 5 years ago) replaced with two half boards - side by side in the same location as the original and for the electrician to arrange for the ESB to replace the 1960's ESB meter.

The whole reason for the change is that we are converting our garage and the meter and fuse box are all bang slap where the door opening is to be made into the hall way. The two half boards will allow us the space to have them above the door opening and the ESB need to move the meter beside the boards. Cost for ESB is €85 and for the sparks to replace the two boards €700!

There seems to be sufficient length in the existing cables to mount the two half boards side by side using the original wiring so there shouldn’t be a huge amount of work, so to me €700 seems a lot. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sounds a little high but not OTT. Keep ringing around and get more quotes then pick one in the middle. Im in your area and know a few sparks if you want ill PM you there numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'm thinking five hundred or so. Material costs for this job should be low enough, assuming all the existing switchgear can be used, and there's no reason why it cannot, I imagine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Sounds high to me too, keep shopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Cheers guys. My father in law has actually found a cheaper solution. There was enough cable behind the board to move it 12 inches to the right, which has now freed up enough space between the end of the stairs and the ESB board for the door. Not ideally where I wanted the door, but as it is saving me nearly €800 I will live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Excellent. Much handier than the alternative :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement