Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which card is better

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Dont let the 512mb of ram on the x1600pro fool you. The 1600XT is a good bit faster. But for a little more money i would reccomend a Nvidia 7600gt/gs. They are much much faster in all games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

ok i've just gone crazy and decided to blow my budget on a sapphire x1950xt 256mb ddr3 for just over 200 euro. is this a good buy???

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=49NJ&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=x1950&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

ok i've just gone crazy and decided to blow my budget on a sapphire x1950xt 256mb ddr3 for just over 200 euro. is this a good buy???

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=49NJ&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=x1950&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

According to the link it's in fact a X1950 PRO 256mb for 200 euro.
    (if this is the correct link for the card you bought)

It's a great card for the money and is comparable to a 7900GT is most games.
    (bar the open GL stuff thast nvidia always performs better in, on the flip side the x1950 pro performs better than a 7900GT in some games i.e. Oblivion)

A X1950XT 256mb would normally cost a bit more than 200 euro, 275 euro on komplett.

sorry yes i meant pro. wrote it tired you know anything about this cards overclocking capabilities?

sorry yes i meant pro. wrote it tired you know anything about this cards overclocking capabilities?

Nothing really :-)

From what little I have seen in a review or two, very modest overclocking.

I.e. not really worth bothering to overclock.

• Advertisement

Any cards for 200 quid that i should consider for overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

while were on tha topic of which gfx cards a re better..what card would be tha best out of a 7950gt 256mb and a x1950xt 256mb

on the toms hardware charts the x1950xt beats the 7950gt in nearly everything..but because im now thinking of getting the pc prebuilt in komplett..as of now the x1950xt isnt availble in the graphics card list when customising the parts..so i have to go with the 7950gt at the moment but by the time im getting the pc just after christmas will the radeon card be there??ive heard it just recently been released so could that be the reason why its not listed..because i really want this card instead of the 7950gt unless of course the 7950gt is better..but im not sure if it is..:confused:

Any cards for 200 quid that i should consider for overclocking.

Don't know.

Most cards in that bracket I have seen are all modest overclockers.

Most gfx cards are in general as fast as they can possibly be: it's the rare exceptions where Nvidia or ATI sell a "cut down" card, i.e. X800 GTO2, where the card sold was originally slated to be a higher model, but had pipelines/pixel shaders disabled, and sold as a cheaper model.
    You can mod these cards and unlock the disabled hardware and you get much better performance.

Regular cards, for the most part, are running pretty much fast as they can. They don't have much headroom for overclocking.

Unless you change the cooling on them drastically, you are only looking at a 10 frame increase on the cards performance, more or less.

An increase you won't really notice until the end of the life of a card where it is really struggling with games.

In general I perfer to concentrate on geting a good card that performs well for the money at stock speeds.

Overclocking for me, just brings and extra layer of complexity I don't want when playing games.

I only bother at the end of a cards life when I really need the extra 10 frames.
    (Won't even bother with my present card a X800XT PE as it is pretty much a factory overclocked X800XT and prob has zero head room)

Others may differ though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Well i spend about €300 on a video card. After that i just don't think the proformance is worth the extra cost. I also seem to only keep my video card for about a year then sell it on. There are some good cards you can get for €200 or just a little more. The x1950pro would spring to mind.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=326957

I think i would buy that card before the other 2 you have picked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

7900GT ftw :D I got a 512mb edition (Damn you GRAW *shakes fist at 512mb content :mad:*) dirt cheap off ebay for €230, and its been running grand for nearly 2 months now. You'll probably be able to get them cheaper now in the wake of the G80, check the prices of them on newegg, usually a week after the prices are slashed on newegg you can find them on ebay for a little bit dearer, but still a lot cheaper than they are over here. The great thing about the 7900GT is its OC potential, people are getting the core clock up from 540 to 700 :eek: with a "simple" volt mod. I'll be doing mine today, so keep an eye over in the tweak/mod section for results.

• Advertisement

Well guys i've bought the x1950 pro arraived today. now all i need is ram ddr2 if anyones got some goin cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Thats a nice card you got. Better then my current card which is a 7800gs.

Check the adverts form for cheap ram.

Advertisement