Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Astra Head Gasket & Timing belt €€€

Options
  • 14-11-2006 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

The head gasket has packed up in my astra and the timing belt needs doing as well :rolleyes:

I'm due a quote from my usual mechanic can anyone give me an idea of how many yoyo's we're talkn here?

I got a quote for the timing belt job from the opel dealer in liffy valley a few weeks back & it was €400 would the head gasket job be same again???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It all depends on where you get it done. I reckon it can all be done for less than a grand but a main dealer will probably set you back €1.5k.

I know a place who do great work at reasonable rates in Dublin - PM me if you want their contact info.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you probably need a water pump as well. I reckon about €1,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

My old car was an Astra and I needed those two things done. Opel dealer said it would be €800 - 900. Local garage said it would be €400 - 500.

I got rid and bought a much nicer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes get the water pump changed at the same time as the timing belt. Much cheaper to get both done together than seperately. The water pump is a weak point in the Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

colm_mcm wrote:
    you probably need a water pump as well. I reckon about €1,000
    yea, the water pump is included in the €400 i was quoted for the timing belt job. The astra takes a timing belt kit which includes a new water pump!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€400 is very good for a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

J McChesney & Sons
    Opel Dealer
    Clonbert
    Monaghan

€295.00 Timing Belt and Water Pump and fresh coolant.

Same again for the head gasket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭b0bbie

wow its worth a trip to monaghan. My head gasket blew last year (1996 opel tigra) and need a new engine. Told the cars have same engine as a corsa. Crossan Opel quoted me 1600 plus labor! Went to a local mechanic who did i t for 800 so shop about....

Advertisement