Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sapphire Radeon X1950PRO vs Gainward 7900GS

Options
  • 14-11-2006 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭

This fellas here:

https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=326957
    &
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=325489

I think I rememeber reading on bit-tech that there will be a 512mb version of the X1950PRO (could be wrong?!) Would there be a huge difference between the two?

This has the new internal CrossFire support.....

3577-board.jpg

....so I'm not tied to a motherboard with CrossFire support. Maybe get a second one down the road.

Or am I better to get a 7900GS /GT and go SLI down the road?
    btw, this is for a new build....still undecided on what mobo to get. (deffo a Duo though)

Looking here:

Verdict

Considering X1950 Pro is faster than the 7900 GS and supports simultaneous full precision HDR and FSAA, there is no doubt in my mind that I would choose the X1950 Pro over any 7900 GS.

CrossFire has been greatly improved, not only in terms of performance, but in simplicity of doing so. I still feel they have a long way to catch up with nVidia on the driver front, as SLI feels like a much more mature product. However, with ATI's commitment to regular driver updates – I'm confident this will improve, and quickly.

Any suggestions would be great lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ati defo....there software aint great tho.

u know u gota have a ati chipset or compatible chipset mother board to run crossfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Would the new 680i mobos work with Cross Fire then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

no they are a nivida chipset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I'd probably go with the X1950 Pro as well though Crossfire support is a lot better now besides ATI chipsets Intel's 975 & 965 are now supported in Crossfire so there is plenty of choice.

Advertisement