Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin 802.11g router problems

Options
  • 14-11-2006 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a Belkin 802.11g router and it's set up and working fine, except for a few things. MSN Messenger for one simply refuses to work when useing this router as well as poker sites won't open for me and I think it's probably due to some kind of setting in the router itself. I turned off the firewall but MSN still wont connect, giving me some kind of error message about ports.

It says... "Failed to connect to the service. This could be due to imporper proxy or firewall settings. Please review your proxy and firewall settings.Proxy settings can be accessed through windows live messenger options. For Firewall settings, please see the retailers instructions"

This does not happen with the other router (netopia) I have which is not wireless. Does anybody know exactly what setting is wrong here and how I'd go about changing it on this router? I can get into the control panel and all, I'm just not sure exactly where I'm looking once I get in. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

tribulus wrote:
    This does not happen with the other router (netopia) I have which is not wireless. Does anybody know exactly what setting is wrong here and how I'd go about changing it on this router? I can get into the control panel and all, I'm just not sure exactly where I'm looking once I get in. Cheers.
    The Netopia supports UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) which allows the applications on your PC to tell the routers the settings they need to work. Presumably the Belkin doesn't. Check the manual on the Belkin website and see whether you can enable UPnP on the Belkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

yep it's enabled and still no help, tried changing the MTU to 1400 and that didn't work either, any other ideas, it's a Belkin ADSL Wireless G router F5D7633uk4A

thansk for the help

tribulus wrote:
    yep it's enabled and still no help, tried changing the MTU to 1400 and that didn't work either, any other ideas, it's a Belkin ADSL Wireless G router F5D7633uk4A
    If MSN won't connect, it's almost definitely because the Belkin isn't doing UPnP properly.

Uness you're using the Netopia and the Belkin at the same time. If you are, have you put the Netopia in Bridged mode? (See the FAQ in the Wireless forum).

no it's just the belkin on its own, wireless connection for my laptop, non-wireless for desktop, won't work on either, neither will various poker sites, komplett, hotmail etc :confused:

I have set the UPnP to enabled, restarted and everything and no change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im having the exact same problem

cant get msn working 95% of the time, ebay doesnt work right, myspace is problematic, as are most sites with a lot of dynamic content, although some work perfectly

• Advertisement

yeah i gave up! I tried making it a static ip, portforwarding, everyting I could find, just wouldn't work.

fixed the problem

change from pppoe to pppoa

it really is that mind blowingly simple

my net is now working perfectly

Helix wrote:
    fixed the problem

change from pppoe to pppoa

it really is that mind blowingly simple

my net is now working perfectly
    It might be working perfectly, but you've uncovered a fairly serious bug, as no Irish ISP uses PPPoA, to the best of my knowledge.

im not too well up on the whole broadband thingy and who uses what to be honest, but its working fine. im sure its something a firmware upgrade for the router modem thing would fix, but its working fine now as it is, so ill be sticking to the old saying, "if it aint broke..."

id be interested to see if this works for tribulus as well

i have to get mine working again! I messed around with ip addresses and subnet stuff and now i can't get to the routers settings page (192.1......)

I've no knowledge of this stuff so everything I tried was googled basically.

It has to allow poker sites to work for me, that's the acid test as such, care to download partypoker or something while i'm doing this and see if you can get into it?!

• Advertisement

done and done

its all good in the hood bro

just change her to pppoa and youre laughing

thanks for that helix ;)

Major problem though, i can't get onto the net with the belkin rouer now:eek:

I was following instrutions from www.portforward.com and now i can't do anything! help

reset everything, or uninstall and reinstall or something (im not very technical at these things lol)

then just redo everything you did to set it up

depending on which isp youre with, you might have something like this http://www.netsource.ie/html/support.html on their website

which is damn handy if youre like me and manage to balls things up at least 5 times a year

okay i'm with eircom, have they got a support page? I tried resetting the router already and nothing happened. :mad: There's an easy solution at hand I can't even get online!

Nothing to install wit this router, it just starts off working

I can't redo anyting without the internet!

Thanks for the help

Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoA
    Multiplexing: LLC Based

VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

Incoming Mail Server: mail1.eircom.net
    Outgoing Mail Server: mail1.eircom.net

Mail Server Type: POP3
    Webspace FTP Server: homepage.eircom.net

FTP Server Port Number: 21

Default Web Folder: public_html
    Default Web Page: index.html

there ye go, try entering those as the details

i presume that username/password will be different for your own account like

tribulus wrote:
    okay i'm with eircom, have they got a support page?
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/

Helix wrote:
    Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1

i presume that username/password will be different for your own account like
    Not on eircom - everyone uses the same username/password. Other ISPs use unique usernames/passwords.

Success!!! :D

The answer's always right in front of you eh?

Changed connection type to ppoA and it works fine.

Had to reset the router though so now i'm on an unprotected network, any idea how to get back onto my old protected network or else create a new one?

Advertisement