Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat bravo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

And the red light brake light came on after a minute of driving it, whats that mean...
    Could be the brake fluid levels are low and/or the sensor is broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

green123 wrote:
    one bad car means nothing
    True, but a work colleague had the Brava (the 5 door model) and he had worse luck than me. He ended up in a head on crash with a tree when he skidded on ice and his airbag failed to deploy, even though the crash was serious enough to write off the car and put him in hospital with chest injuries.

The lack of FIAT cars on the roads also points to their poor sales figures caused by dull and unreliable cars. They had their heyday in the mid nineties with the scrappage deal and the "open book" pricing when people bought the cinq/seicentos, punto and bravo/brava. They were cheap cars and to some like me, the first brand new car they could afford. However, they had terrible build quality and reliability. And btw, I'm not just basing these comments on my own experience with a FIAT, my colleagues and friends have owned various models and none of them would buy one again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

If you have to go for a Bravo
    1) Red Key! as said before.
    2) I would recommend a 1.2 rather than the 1.4. The 1.4 could be pretty thirsty, partly due to a finicky MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow). 1.2 has better engine management.
    3)"That" 3rd into 2nd gear change is a "feature" ;) :rolleyes: ;)
    4) Timing belt timing belt timing belt!
    5) If the airbag sensor light is on, then walk away if you intend doing a driving test in it. This was some sort of problem with wires under the driver seat, but once the system detected a fault it gave the owner a certain amount of miles/driving hours to have the fault checked. If you exceeded that figure the chip locked out apparently and wouldn't reset!
    The airbag warning light won't fail NCT but you can't do a driving test in one (I'm guessing you're a new driver at this price range), and as prosperous dave's friend found out, can lead to more serious problems!

I had one for a while, enjoyed it much more than more reliable cars I had since. If you are very stuck for money there are better used car gambles to take though. It could work out to be very cheap and cheerful motoring if your lucky but there is obviously a higher chance of regular enforced garage visits then if you buy jap.

With mine, poorly maintained by previous owner and poorly treated by me:o , the total cost (initial price + repairs) probably worked out the same as if I'd bought a corolla etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Nearly everyone i mentioned i was buying a bravo to said "N000000"! Everyone had a story to tell about how crap they are!

Hence me buying a Jap instead, i really want as much hassle free driving as possible and therefore ive gone for the realitivly "bulletproof" Mazda 323F which i will be hopefully picking up at the weekeend when the current owner gets her 05 mazda. She said after driving the 323F for a couple of years she will never drive anything else but a mazda. I doubt you would get many Fiat drivers saying that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bought a new Cinquecento Sporting new, in 96. Brilliant car......currently have an old 1990 Mazda in the garage, also a brilliant car.

Cars? They're worse than people !! Some good, some ****e !! On my recommendation, a friends mother bought a new Brava 1.2 in 97, and another new one in.....00 ?? .....still has it, and she's had no probs. Mind you, it's minded like a baby........

Another friend bought a Marea estate, diesel, and put 100k on it for work - only repairs on it in that time were rear shocks and bushes worn out. Replaced it with Stilo estate diesel and put 90k on that.....no repairs on that at all. Which is more than could be said for his colleague's A4's, etc.......

Now he's got a Skoda, as the accountant told him he had to buy a car with better residuals. FFS ! It looks like the formula he had worked for him....but the Skoda is nice too.....esp as it has the DSG 'box...........brilliant.

So, I think it's a case of buying what YOU like, and what keeps YOU happy, and stuff the rest. !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

im driving an 01 bravo. 70k on the clock and it runs like a dream and I have put it through a hell of alot of punishment.

electrics havnt given me too much trouble and the engine is fine.

lovely car , nothing to complain about at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

yellow012 wrote:
    I had a Punto Sporting which has the same engine for 5 years and didn't have one single problem.

:eek: Am I missing something here? My Integra has had the same engine for 16 years! (and hasn't had a single problem, btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I had new Fiats and an Alfa when I was younger, they made sense because they were considerably cheaper than anything else you could get. In the age bracket the OP is loooking at, there is so much choice that it would be foolish to buy gamble on a Bravo for the sake of a few extras. even a new gearbox on a 1.2 will add another 60% to the purchase price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

green123 wrote:
    one bad car means nothing
    one bad car means the quality control department isn't doing its job.

Gurgle wrote:
    one bad car means the quality control department isn't doing its job.

correction: one bad car means PRODUCTION aren't doing their job..........they built it. You shouldn't NEED to 100% every product.

Except at Nissan, where I believe it's 100% QC on ever ycar.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    I had new Fiats and an Alfa when I was younger, they made sense because they were considerably cheaper than anything else you could get. In the age bracket the OP is loooking at, there is so much choice that it would be foolish to buy gamble on a Bravo for the sake of a few extras. even a new gearbox on a 1.2 will add another 60% to the purchase price.

...that's exactly the point. You cannot buy a 323 for Bravo money, both cars being of equal condition. Fiats are cheap to buy - so expect to sell cheap too. You cannot buy at Fiat prices, and then hope for Toyota prices at selling time, or Toyota quality, either.

It's all relative, as they say. Everything is worth something, the trick is to not spend more than it's worth. And the value should reflect any faults. Doesn't mean don't buy the car, if you're happy to fix it, but you should benefit in the pricing dept.

Oh, as for the wires under the seat and the Airbag light - I had 2 x Audi TT's with the same problem, so you're in good company there...........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

JHMEG wrote:
    :eek: Am I missing something here? My Integra has had the same engine for 16 years! (and hasn't had a single problem, btw)
    Hmm a pedantic Pete on Boards..
    Ok i'll take the bait and explain :rolleyes: my Punto Sporting had the same type 1.2 engine as in the Bravo. It's been troublefree for the last 7 years whilst in our family and we've no plans to sell it on, so we might yet get 16 years driving out of it as well - touch wood:D .

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

galwaytt wrote:
    ...that's exactly the point. You cannot buy a 323 for Bravo money, both cars being of equal condition. Fiats are cheap to buy - so expect to sell cheap too. You cannot buy at Fiat prices, and then hope for Toyota prices at selling time, or Toyota quality, either.

My point is, that the gap between a Bravo and a quality car like a Toyota and Mazda isn't massive at that age level. I bought the Fiats new because they were the highest spec for the money.
    At this age of car, reliability should be a huge deciding factor as you don't wanna be forking out € hundreds (a good percentage of the price of the car) on repairs.

Advertisement