Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

size of RSJ for supporting loadbearing wall

Options
  • 15-11-2006 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am planning on knocking an 8ft by 8ft hole in a wall between the sitting and dining rooms in a typical sized edwardian house. The thickness of the wall is approximately 1ft. How long and how thick should the RSJ be for this job?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 inchbyinch

Sweetie

It will depend on alot of things such as the load on the wall(is it supporting the floor upstairs or does it support the wall all the way to the roof) or what condition the wall is in. My best advice to you would be to employ a civil consulting engineer to take a look at it. It would only cost a few €100 and you would have a professional and qualified opinion, aswell as back up if it goes wrong!! (Make sure they have insurance)! you will get builders to do the job fine but they may not stand over it long term!

You'll find one in golden pages, I'm afraid I wouldn't have any contacts of the top of my head in dublin!

Hope it helps
    Inchy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Thanks. I have a guy to do it who works in the building trade. He reckons ten ft, so that would be a ft each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

sweetie wrote:
    Thanks. I have a guy to do it who works in the building trade. He reckons ten ft, so that would be a ft each side.

The amount of bearing each side is not the only critical piece of info. RSJ's do not come in a one size fits all size!!! And because steel is sold by section weight, you will find that the builder will go with the cheapest section size he can get away with!

Be very careful of builders who have a "sure it will be grand attitude" :eek: Get a qualified engineer to look at it for you, they will give you a specific sttel size and weight appropriate for the ope you are forming!

Advertisement