Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Jackson passes the 100 million mark with Thriller.

Options
  • 15-11-2006 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

MJ picked up eight certificate fron the Guinnes book of world records yesterday. The awards included: The Most Successful Entertainer of All Time; Youngest Vocalist to Top the US Singles Chart - aged 11, fronting The Jackson Five; and First Vocalist to Enter the US Single Chart at Number One (You Are Not Alone); The First Entertainer to Earn More Than $100m in a Year; Highest Paid Entertainer of all Time (£125 million dollars in the 1989 Forbes List); First Entertainer to Sell More Than 100 Million Albums outside the US; Most Weeks at the Top of the US Album Charts (non-soundtrack for Thriller) and Most Successful Music Video (Thriller).

At tomorrow nights World Music Awards, he will perform the song Thriller and he will recieve the Chopard Diamond Award, a new award, given to artists who have sold over 100 million albums over the course of their careers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

wtf!? when and how did that happen? last I heard it was around the 54 million mark! this has to be some mistake.

guiness.jpg

007.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Binomate wrote:
    MJ picked up

that's as far as i could go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The 100 million is total sales, kinaldo, not just Thriller.

I wonder if Back In Black is still catching up on it.

blastman wrote:

AC/DC... and Angus dressed as a school boy...

hold on Angus dressed as a school boy and MJ..... no i wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Who is this Michael Jackson person you speak of?

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Who is this Michael Jackson person you speak of?
    you might be too old for him...sorry i mean too old to know him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D To think he was just a normal kid with a lovely voice once.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

blastman wrote:

It clearly states on the cert. in the picture that it Thriller has sold 104 million copies. His total record sales is estimated to be 750million including the Jackson Five and Jacksons records that were sold.

i cant figure this out

didnt
    THE BEATLES, sell 168,500,000
    ELVIS PRESLEY,sell 116,500,000
    LED ZEPPELIN sell 107,500,000
    GARTH BROOKS, sell 105,000,000 albums.

Those figures are not correct. The Beatles have sold almost a billion albums as far as I can remember, including solo careers. None have sold over 100 million of a single album though.

• Advertisement

I dunno. From what I can gather a lot of Elvis and Beatles numbers have been made up or loosely estimated by the recored companies as they didn't really keep track back then, especially in foreign markets.

I find it hard to believe that Thriller has made such a huge jump. It's possible they were just slow in re-certifying MJ's catalougue, and the remasters were a massive success, but I know for sure that they were saying it was around 55 million as recently as the late 90s.

This Guinness thing may even be a gimmick that includes singles sales for the album which then would add up. Or if the claim that Thriller continues to sell up to 4m a year is true, which I also find hard to believe.

blastman wrote:
    Lol, his TOTAL sales by far exceed 100 million!

Binomate wrote:
    At tomorrow nights World Music Awards, he will perform the song Thriller
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6150394.stm

suprise, suprise.

Edit: well not quite what was expected...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6152976.stm

So I saw on Sky News last night. He said words of him performing were just rumors. Still glad he got up at the end and sang even a few lines of the song even though he probably wasn't supposed to. It's being aired on Channel 4 on the 23rd. I'll have to see for myself what it was like.

kinaldo wrote:
    Lol, his TOTAL sales by far exceed 100 million!

From the horse's mouth

Now I know the States isn't the whole world, but it's a reasonably good indicator as the largest single market. It's also almost impossible to accurately measure worldwide sales, as the RIAA themselves have said.

blastman wrote:
    From the horse's mouth

Now I know the States isn't the whole world, but it's a reasonably good indicator as the largest single market. It's also almost impossible to accurately measure worldwide sales, as the RIAA themselves have said.
    Whenever I've heard reports of MJ's worldwide sales it's always been +200 million (not including the Jacksons). Considering he's toured every continent selling out stadiums I wouldn't doubt he's sold more records outside America. If the Guinness thing is anything to go by there's no doubt.

Wikipedia says:
    Michael Jackson is an American R&B, pop and rock artist whose recording career has spanned from 1963 to the present. In 1982, Jackson recorded best-selling album of all-time, Thriller, with claimed worldwide sales of 60 million, though some reports suggest worldwide sales as low as 50 million and as high as 100 million.[2][3] Jackson has been awarded numerous honors, including the World Music Awards' Best-selling pop male artist of the Millennium [4]and Jackson is often referred to as the 'King of Pop'. While their databases have hardly any information from the 1950s or 1960s, or sales of uncertified releases, Jackson's totals are not affected as all his solo records were released after 1971 (despite this, the WMA later reverted, claiming The Beatles had outsold Jackson).

Jackson's record company Sony BMG has never given an accumulative sales figure for Jackson, but estimates vary for Jackson's top 3 albums as selling between 90 and 120 million alone. [5]. It has been estimated by various fan sites, that Jackson's accumulative worldwide sales is about 300 million. Recently, as part of the publicity surrounding Jackon's World Music Award's - Diamond Award; Raymone K. Bain, Jackson's publicist announced that Jackson has sold over 750 million albums and singles worldwide.[6][7]. Reference to sales were mentioned by Beyonce Knowles, as she presented him with the Chopard Diamond Award at the World Music Awards on November 15, 2006. Guinness Book Of Records presented Jackson with an award for the most successful artist ever on November 14th 2006, among other certificates. [8]

From 1963 to 1984, Jackson was also a member of The Jackson 5 (later called "The Jacksons"). Their accumulative worldwide sales are reported to be approximately 150 million [citation needed]. Sometimes their sales total is added to Jackson's solo sales total because he was their lead singer from 1968 to 1984 and chief songwriter from 1978 to 1984
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best-selling_artist_of_all-time

I think that shows that no-one really knows, so lets give him an award for something! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Wow, 3 years ago I looked at the sales figures for Thriller and it was at 70 million I think. Well there you go. It's about time someone acknowledged the real reason why he's a household name. Looking forward to his new album. I think he's even begun recording it here in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He has been recording in Moate, been there for a month or so, out walking with the kids and behaving like any other parent with his kids, had to vacate for the Manic Street Preachers but back in again this week.
    Putting all the hype to one side, pure genius, Thriller is close to perfection, the crossover of jazzy R&B, rock, pop soul etc the music video evolution wave, everything about it, I mean its 24 years old, stick it on and it sounds so fresh and fantastic, pity it all got too much for the man himself

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Wow, 3 years ago I looked at the sales figures for Thriller and it was at 70 million I think. Well there you go. It's about time someone acknowledged the real reason why he's a household name. Looking forward to his new album. I think he's even begun recording it here in Ireland.
    If this is true, lets say he did hypothetically sell 30 million of the same album in the last 3 years. That's 10 million a year, so how exactly isn't the album no. 1?

• Advertisement

LundiMardi wrote:
    If this is true, lets say he did hypothetically sell 30 million of the same album in the last 3 years. That's 10 million a year, so how exactly isn't the album no. 1?
    Actually, it has been in and out of the charts quite frequently in different places around the world over the last couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 makaveli33

did anybody hear about jackson buying a castle in tyrrellspass, co westmeath? apparently he has visited it many times before and recently purchased it for a mediocre €4.3 million with intent to renovate and live there with his kids out of the spotlight of the paparazzi.. hope it works it out for him! whats that place called ' Tyrrellspass Castle ' i think? if anyone has more info let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I seem to remember hearing The Best of the Eagles was the highest selling album of all time. I had the unfortunate pleasure of listening to it about 1000 times in a clothes shop where I used to work. Perhaps the blandest rock ever..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I seem to remember hearing The Best of the Eagles was the highest selling album of all time. I had the unfortunate pleasure of listening to it about 1000 times in a clothes shop where I used to work. Perhaps the blandest rock ever..
    When I was 'big' into music in the 1980's Thriller was the number one selling album of all time, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac was second and Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd :) was third. I think it stayed like that for years. Thriller had amassed 45million sales in the 1980s IIRC.

Advertisement