Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car registration plate question:what does cd mean??

Options
  • 15-11-2006 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

HI guys just something thats been bugging me of late. What does the letters CD signify on an EU reg plate?Seen loads of cars with this recently...

Thanks
    Duffler..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

CD = corps diplomatique = foreign diplomatic vehicle
    CC = corps consulaire = (ususally) Irish person operating as a consul for a foreign country

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Usually means it's an officially embassy vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Usually means the driver can do what the f**k they like, think of it like having a taxi sign ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

KTRIC wrote:
    Usually means the driver can do what the f**k they like, think of it like having a taxi sign ;)

I know the diplomat has exemption from prosecution of traffic offences (the CD) but does the consulaire? (i.e. CC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

KTRIC wrote:

Exactly....always give these pr**ks a wide berth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

jayok wrote:
    I know the diplomat has exemption from prosecution of traffic offences (the CD) but does the consulaire? (i.e. CC)

nope. they can get fines/points and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I know of one car that was purchased from an embassy. It had very low mileage as the person was only authorised to drive to certain places. They had to get permission every time they left the compound, but then every embassy has their rules for driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

G Luxel wrote:
    I know of one car that was purchased from an embassy. It had very low mileage as the person was only authorised to drive to certain places. They had to get permission every time they left the compound, but then every embassy has their rules for driving.

I presume the CD tag was removed. You see some real poverty spec cars with these plates too. I think I saw a Punto/Fiesta or some such with a CD tag recently when I was in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As far as I know ...and I may be completely wrong on this ...the CD sticker denotes several things:

The car belongs to an embassy, therefore there may be diplomats driving/using this car. Diplomats are not excempt from obeying traffic laws. On the other hand, they or their cars and belongings may not be searched because of diplomatic immunity.

In the case of a poverty spec CD car, the driver probably is just a lowly employee with no diplomatic status. He/she may however be carrying diplomatic documents.

Certain embassies get very upset when they get the impression that someone may be infringing on their diplomatic immunity and create all sorts of hassle for simple requests ...hassle that the average gardai can usually do without ..hence they don't usually stop a CD car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

While there is a person in the vehicle and CD is being displayed, the vehicle is treated as an extension of the embassy. This can cover diplomatic staff, other staff and families. This is protected by the Vienna Convention.

If the car is not occupied, it can be towed, clamped, etc. as normal, much to the upset of one ambassador who liked to park on footpaths and who memoed the entire Dublin diplomatic community when he was towed around the corner. People laughed at him.

People who exploit diplomatic immunity for stupid stuff like parking offences risk having a complaint being made to the ambassador.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

KTRIC wrote:

ROFL!

Last Monday night a Dublin-registered VW EOS with a CD plate nearly wiped me out at the Cloghogue roundabout in Newry. I was on the roundabout coming from the bypass and heading south when she decided to join me from my left without giving way, let alone slowing down. The fact that I always anticipate this happening at this particular place is what saved me from T-boning them. I was behind her all the way down to the M1 and she was on the phone the whole time. Silly bint:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Victor wrote:
    If the car is not occupied, it can be towed, clamped, etc. as normal,
    Didn't this happen to a French car with CD plates twice in the same day last year? Think I remember the clampers getting in trouble for it.

Advertisement