Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roomie problems...

• 15-11-2006 5:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I need some advice... I live in a room with 3 other girls, and we were all really good friends at the end of last year. I guess it turns out that I didn't know one of them as well as I thought I did because she and I do not get along at all. I'll try and be as polite about this as possible - she's very used to having her own way and to pushing people around. My other roomies just kind of go with whatever, but I'm not going to let her tell me what to do, so I stand up to her and it causes problems between the two of us. For example, one of my other roommates is trying to decide which of these two guys she wants to date, if either of them at all - and my other roomie and I listen to her opinion, but tell her that it's her decision - but my awful roommate tells her that she needs to date this one, without any regard for her opinion. Basically, she and I are complete opposites - she's always pessimistic and whiney, and I try to see the best in most situations. Along that line, I'm trying to just laugh off how much she bothers me, because I'm very certain that talking to her would not change a darn thing - she really just has no regard for anyone else's feelings. I can cite a plethora of examples on this, but, for one example, the rest of us take our phone calls out in the hall when one person in our room is trying to nap or study, but this girl will just continue to have a loud conversation on her phone, or type ridiculously loudly on her computer when one of us really needs it to be quiet.
    I know my relationship with this girl is not salvagable, but I'm not really concerned about that because I wouldn't in particular want to be her friend in the future anyway - I'd rather surround myself with positive, uplifting people. But my other two roommates are wonderful, sweet girls, who I get along with really well, and I don't want to make the situation awkward for them by having a blow-out fight with my one roomie. Any suggestions for surviving the rest of the year with her? Right now, I am just making plans with other friends - spending a lot of time in my boyfriend's room, studying in the library or the study lounge in my building, making dinner plans with other friends (all of us used to eat together, but I really can't even bear to eat dinner with this girl). I really just need some suggestions to help me tolerate her for the remainder of the year, and to help me with my other roommates.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

so there's 4 of ye living in the 1 room? how does that work out?
    I'd think that even if all of you, including this girl, were soul-mates you'd still end up feeling clostraphobic and stressed not having your own space.
    My advice would be to move out if you feel it's for the best, just tell your friends you need your space and they will understand.

I lived with a few people in college, not in the same room now, but in same houses/apartments on 2 different occasions who I simply could not stand, the first time I was going to move out but he did first so that was sorted, and the second time I moved out as soon as I could, and I'd still say hello to the 2 of them if I passed them today, you don't have to completely fall out with the person which is obviously important to you seeing as ye used to be good friends, perhaps the space will make you better friends./.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

hey!!i really sympathise with your situation, i have a friend who sounds similar to your roomie and its really upsetting me, i can only imagine how it would feel to have to live with her!Idont really have much advice, i dont know what to do myself!The only thing i can think of is maybe the others feel the same way but are too afraid to say anything!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When she 'shouts' into the phone - turn the telly or stereo way up. If/when she complains, tell her you need it that loud to be able to hear it, and that she could either go into the hall like everyone else, or at least speak quietly.

When she hammers the keyboard and you need silence/quietness, earplugs are effective.

"Never try to teach a pig how to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig."

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement