Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pulling top wisdom teeth to prevent infection?

• 15-11-2006 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi guys,

I'm a bit concerned after reading some horror stories on here about wisdom teeth extraction so I'll explain my situation!

I went to the dentist on Monday for a routine checkup and x-ray. After he was done his diagnosis was that I'd a fine set of teeth. :) However he was concerned with my top wisdom teeth and suggested that they be removed. His reasoning behind this was that the teeth in front of my wisdom teeth could be at greater risk of infection and if the offending teeth were removed I might never need to have further work done on my teeth, assuming I kept looking after them of course. The dentist also said it would be a very simple procedure just involving some anaesthetic and knocking the two teeth out.

I have two big questions about this:
    1) Is pulling top wisdom teeth as a preventative step common procedure?
    2) Would my dentist be qualified to do this? His quals are B.A.B.Dent.Sc if that helps (which it probably won't :D).

Thanks in advance,
    H.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

homercles wrote:
    Hi guys,

I'm a bit concerned after reading some horror stories on here about wisdom teeth extraction so I'll explain my situation!

I went to the dentist on Monday for a routine checkup and x-ray. After he was done his diagnosis was that I'd a fine set of teeth. :) However he was concerned with my top wisdom teeth and suggested that they be removed. His reasoning behind this was that the teeth in front of my wisdom teeth could be at greater risk of infection and if the offending teeth were removed I might never need to have further work done on my teeth, assuming I kept looking after them of course. The dentist also said it would be a very simple procedure just involving some anaesthetic and knocking the two teeth out.

I have two big questions about this:
    1) Is pulling top wisdom teeth as a preventative step common procedure?
    2) Would my dentist be qualified to do this? His quals are B.A.B.Dent.Sc if that helps (which it probably won't :D).

Thanks in advance,
    H.
    1 yes
    2 yes
    every dentist on the dental register is licensed to treat patients surgically involving surgery in and around the mouth. each dentist choses himself what his limitations are and refers according to his or her ethics. some dentists wont even extract teeth, others spend their days placing implants, and doing sinus grafts. the bottom line is dentists are ethically bound to do the right thing and also bound by cival law if they are sued to have acted in a professional way and done the procedure to a high standard with informed consent.
    wisdom tooth extraction especially uppers is the simplest thing in the world to do. id recommend having it done.

Advertisement