Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on Wiring Alarm Sensors?

Options
  • 15-11-2006 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just about to start wiring my new alarm for my house. The house was prewired for it so its a standard install.
    My question is regarding concealing the alarm cabling on windows.
    For example, my front windows are top hinged with the alarm cable coming out of the wall above the window. Now the sensor will have to be installed at the bottom of the opening for obvious reasons & while there is plenty cable, I am unsure as to how I should run it.
    Should I clip / glue the cable down the side of the window or is it feasible to drill into the pvc & hide the cable completely as it goes down to the sensor?
    Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You have a couple of options
    You could use some mini trunking
    Drilling the windows can be tricky. How you approach this will depend on the type of joint on the window, butt or mitre. If it is a butt joint you will have to drill a hole a couple of inches from the top and fish it from there. This will leave a couple of inches of exposed wire at the top. If it is a mitre joint you will see even less wire.
    You could leave the sensor at the top and fish the wires from there down to the other openings. Remember not to place the sensor over the weld joints on the window as these sometimes move and can cause false alarms
    Use a piece of 1.5 copper wire to fish the cables

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My first alarm was done by a guy who worked for Chubb, but had moved up to management. He did it as a favour and I've never seen such a neat job before. No matter where the cables were left, he sealed up the original entry point and fished them into the frame of the door or window so any sensor that was surface mounted looked like it had no connection to the system.

Now I can only imagine the amount of alarms he had to have installed to get to this point of neatness, but it made a big difference visually to the doors and windows. Mini trunking is great and all, but it does look a bit crappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Thanks for that lads, I'll have a look @ it tonight & might even take a photo of the window if I reckon it'll be of any use.
    I'm in no rush with the job so I'd say I'll take the time and fish them through in order to get as tidy a finish as possible.

Advertisement