Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm going to Court!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Keith C wrote:
    Bit harsh there Nelly, OP cut traffic like some many other people do, if there was a case of death by dangerous driving then someone should defo be off the road, but your comments are a bit OTT & "what if" imho

This is the problem and you pointed it out yourself "like some many other people do" the Garda need to cut this out so that people like the OP wont even bother thinking about doing this. At the moment everyone, inlcuding alot of people on here, seem to think it is ok to break rules on the road because "sure everyone does it". This does not make it right and well done the Garda. Hopefully they keep this crackdown going so soon that attitude will be got rid of off our roads and people will stop been killed
    Call the police and complain wat the way you were treated, making sure to tell them that the pig in question called you a "dumb f**king c**t" and said that they "had been waiting to catch someone to make an example out of" and that you were the "unlucky one". It doesn't matter that this isn't true, they will probably fabricate a whole load of $hit about you too.

Wat a pile of bullsh*t! and what a stupid attitude to have. If you break the law then you should be charged for it, telling lies to a court is breaking the law as well.
    nobody relies on urges to drive . . they act on them. Nice to see you making as much sense as usual.

First you dont make any sense? first you say people dont rely on urges to drive then you say they act on them? so if they dont have any urges when driving then how can they act on them if they dont exist??

Also how do you know anything about me? you have the grand total of 75 posts on here! you have never met me so if you cant made a decent comment then I would keep your post count around the 75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Big Nelly wrote:
    you have the grand total of 75 posts on here! you have never met me so if you cant made a decent comment then I would keep your post count around the 75

wtf! His 75 posts might make a lot more sense and be more informed than your 5000 + posts of harsh abrasive drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What you did was illegal and dangerous-not as dangerous as some things that are getting done every day on the roads but still dangerous.
    Whether or not other people were doing it isnt really the point. You were the one caught for it. With a bit of luck the other people will have seen you getting caught and may think twice about it doing it again. There's one poster in this thread who has already decided not to do it in future-this is a good thing.
    The guard cant catch everyone, you were the unlucky one this time.
    Get a solicitor, write down the details of what you remember, maybe contact the guard but accept that you may have to suffer the consequences of your actions and by the looks of it you have learned from your mistake.
    I have to concur with most of what Big Nelly has said but OP, I hope the penalty isnt too bad as you seem to have learned your lesson, and the other people at the scene at the time may think twice again.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I think the Big fella just likes an arguement to be honest, getting all hot and sweaty under the collar...

gyppo wrote:
    wtf! His 75 posts might make a lot more sense and be more informed than your 5000 + posts of harsh abrasive drivel.

Well he seems to think he knows me, nothing about my posts are abrasive, I am just pointing my point of view forward, just because you dont agree with it doesnt mean you have to attack the poster but the actual post. The only drivel so far on this thread is the post I have quoted above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

To be honest and frank. I have no sympathy for you. I see this type of move every morning going to work and coming home.

shapez wrote:
    To be honest and frank. I have no sympathy for you. I see this type of move every morning going to work and coming home.

Well said:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Big Nelly wrote:
    Wat a pile of bullsh*t! and what a stupid attitude to have. If you break the law then you should be charged for it, telling lies to a court is breaking the law as well.

Court, did I say court? :D The Gardai are gimps and I don't rate them one bit. All the cop needed to do was write the ticket and tell him the charge and the offence. Repeatedly saying 'I'm taking you to court' smacks of someone who is up themselves. The pig might as well have been wearing a wig and holding a gavel. No doubt he'll probably be off with the blue-flu on the day of the hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Big Nelly wrote:
    First you dont make any sense? first you say people dont rely on urges to drive then you say they act on them? so if they dont have any urges when driving then how can they act on them if they dont exist??

Erm did you read his post?
    He didnt say that urges dont exist, you said that.
    He said that people do not rely in urges to drive.
    An urge is something that you can choose to react to or not.

Pretty simple logic really :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Big Nelly wrote:
    Seem to me in the last few weeks there is more and more threads popping on here about garda pulling up driving doing stupid things, this thread, mobile phone user thread, no seat belt thread. Garda seem to be cracking down on dangerous driving and it can only be good for everyone else on the road.
    Saying I had an "urge" to do something and then did it even thou you knew it was completely dangerous means you are a dangerous driver. End of Story.

I am not trying to argue Gardai ability and usefulness in this thread... Or how me using or not a seat belt is good for everyone else on the road. I just felt that it was harsh to "take me to court" for a wrong, yes, but harmless maneuver IMHO...

I have felt this "urge" (i.e. I was thinking about overtaking everyone) as there were other people in front of me that already did the same and where queuing up in an ad-hoc lane. I don't say that what I did was right or that if other people do it why shouldn't I... I keep saying it wasn't dangerous in any way neither for me nor for any other participant to the traffic. Did I break the rules? Yes. Did I put anyone in danger? NO! Do I deserve to be taken in Court for this? Wouldn't a warning or fine will be enough?

That's my main concern... What usually happens in cases like this, was it personal or is this what Gardai usually do... That's why I asked you guys if you were in a similar situation and what actually happens when you go in court.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    When your driving on a back road do you get the "urge" to floor your car to see how fast it goes? if you rely on "urges" when you drive then you should be off the road!
    Actually I don't. I am not a speeder or anything, I got one speeding fine, true... but that's in many years of driving... However I feel it's idiotic to have 50km/h restrictions on dual carriage ways while having 100 km/h in narrow streets where only lunatics would drive with more than 50... Take me to court for that.
    el tel wrote:
    Call the police and complain wat the way you were treated, making sure to tell them that the pig in question called you a "dumb f**king c**t" and said that they "had been waiting to catch someone to make an example out of" and that you were the "unlucky one". It doesn't matter that this isn't true, they will probably fabricate a whole load of $hit about you too.
    Well he just said that I talk bul****, but I guess that's not as bad.... :) And he also specified that he can not stop everyone that did it but he got me... as I was the worst... I was the last in lane that's why he got me, I'm sure... And I also felt that he is taking it too personal, especially after he checked my license... But maybe that was just my paranoia...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

el tel has been banned for being abusive about the gardai.
    Unnecessary way to get a point across!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Big Nelly although you're the resident "angry man" (:p) I have to agree with you here.

While I'm not always positive in my view of the gardai, when you're nabbed, you're nabbed. I've come across some asswipe cops but many are grand if depending on you're attitude.

Perhaps if the OP had admitted his manoeuvre was careless and not been all "wtf have i done wrong" the garda's attitude may have been different.

I'm not suggesting the cops are always right and should not be contested, but more often than not I'd say they're just responding like-for-like with whatever attitude you throw at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

IMHO
    This is the key, in your opinion. In a lot of other peoples opinion and the laws opinion you were in the wrong and you got caught for being in the wrong. You are annoyed that the garda had to stop you and no one else. IMHO is not a good defence against anything.
    Actually I don't. I am not a speeder or anything, I got one speeding fine, true...
    You got caught speeding once. Doesnt mean you are not a speeder, not that it is relevant in the context of this thread.

Dangerous driving may be a bit harsh a charge in this instance and going to court is very harsh but I am not sure if there is any other option with the charge at hand. I suppose a standard fine of €100 and 2 points on your license would without the obligatory court appearance would be a decent punishment for this but that doesnt look to be an option. I amnt sure what kind of punishment you will get either. But the guard stopping you, as I mentioned above has made a lot of other people think twice about carrying out the same maneouvre again.
    Also, you make out that you are the only person ever caught at this spot doing what you did, could there possibly have been more people caught here in the past couple of years?
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Duras wrote:
    Did I break the rules? Yes.
    And the truth shall set you free!

What the hell are you complaining about?!?! Next time perhaps you will drive on your own "urges" and impluses and not follow other bad drivers. This sheep-like behaviour contributes to a wider problem on the roads imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

landser wrote:
    BTW, did the garda formally caution i.e. name the section and act under which he intended to prosecute you. he must do this

The above is rubbish. Gardai no longer have to issue an oral intention to prosecute and state under what section etc etc.

This Gard did however say he was going to prosecute him "bring him to court" and for the offence of dangerous driving. " Section 53 Road Traffic Act".

It was a dangerous manouvre. The Garda could not have wirtten a ticket (as there is no such things as tickets anymore its all computer generated tickets that arrivei in the post)

There is no specific ticketable offence for what the op committed. The garda has to go to court and give evidence to the judge and explain what happened.

It will most likely be reduced to a Section 52 or 51 RTA offence with a small fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Chief--- wrote:
    The above is rubbish. Gardai no longer have to issue an oral intention to prosecute and state under what section etc etc.
    If that's true, then one simple question ... why the !@#$ not? What possible advantage can there be to leaving people in doubt as to what the exact consequences will be apart from just pissing them off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

for dangerous driving you get for defo 5 penalty points and a manatory 6 months ban but if you state you need the car blah blah blah then it can be 1500 fine and 5 points.this is for sure as i have been there and done that:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

kippy wrote:
    Also, you make out that you are the only person ever caught at this spot doing what you did, could there possibly have been more people caught here in the past couple of years?
    Kippy
    Well the dedicated turn right for NUIG is only in existance over a year since they
    extended the campus that side of the quincentinial bridge, so i doubt this was a problem before then. That entrance didn't exist before that, it was some prehistoric gates into st. Anthonys.
    Dangerous driving for this strikes me as o.t.t.
    A day in court for it is BS imo
    A fine or points is grand and learn the lesson.
    If what Chief--- says turns out to be what happens then fair enough.
    They should make some more offences instead of wasting court time.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

OP: Court?? For that?? 5 points ? OMG! Jeez.. thats a bit harsh.. there should be something along the lines of "Irritating driving" as opposed to "Dangerous Driving"... also, the CC should have made 2 lanes out of that road ages ago! (its on my commute.. or at least it was until I copped on that there is a better way.. see below).
    That said.. you did break the law.. an on-the-spot fine of 100e or something would be a much more suitable punishment (and deterrant I'd imagine).
    To avoid this problem in the future... take a right at the Westwood and go down as far as the next roundabout and go straight through .. its quicker.. with no queues! ;-)

Like others have said... get a solicitor..

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Yes there was a traffic problem here before then. And I've NEVER seen Gardai round there at commute time.
    Steve

rkm wrote:
    so i doubt this was a problem before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stevo11 wrote:
    OP: Court?? For that?? 5 points ? OMG! Jeez.. thats a bit harsh.. there should be something along the lines of "Irritating driving" as opposed to "Dangerous Driving"...
    In the UK there's a lesser charge of "Careless driving and driving without due consideration" as well as one of Dangerous Driving that would probably be used in a case like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Stevo11 wrote:
    Yes there was a traffic problem here before then. And I've NEVER seen Gardai round there at commute time.
    Steve
    Of course there was always quite long queues.
    What i meant was there wasnt a dedicated turn right
    to the best of my memory.
    I've never seen the gardai there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If the OP was approaching the Quincentennial Bridge junction, then the most dangerous thing was to the pedestrians who regularly cross the road between cars stopped in traffic along that section of road, often without looking.

If it's where I'm thinking of, the left lane is for people turning left onto the brifge and the right lane is for traffic going straight on heading toward the hospital, and there is also a no right turn on that junction.

Also, from Greenfields to the bridge junction is a long stretch of road to be on the wrong side of the road, and it is a heavily residential road as well as it's proximity to NUIG. And I've often seen the Gardia there running a speed trap pointing over the wall of the house on the corner catching people speeding on the bridge (I think it's a doctors surgery or something).

Personally I feel its a fair cop, as I've had a few near misses there with morons skipping the queue rather than having a bit of patience.

O/T - to the person on page 1 of this thread who said that the Gardai will make up lies in court - there are 3 sides to this story; the OPs', the Gardas', and the truth!

O/T @ KB - I see you've finally found your stick!! Congratulations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

BarryM3 wrote:
    Hire yourself a barrister. NOT a solicitor.
    This is basically the problem with on-line fora. Opinions do not equal intelligence.

Members of the public cannot directly engage the services of a barrister. You have to hire a solicitor-pimp first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

You have to hire a solicitor-pimp first.

Yes, because they don't do anything other than hire a barrister really. That is what it takes 6/7 years training for; to ring up someone. Btw it is far easier to become a barrister than a solicitor.

If I under stand the OP it sounds like what happens in Silversprings in Cork. There is one lane, but those going straight on just stay on the right, those going left stay left. Everyone does it, myself included. I'd be shocked if anyone was prosecuted for dangerous driving, and couldn't see a reasonable judge upholding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

OP - I woulnd't worry too much about it, sounds like the Garda was just throwing his weight around a little. It also sounds like you won't be doing this again so overall it's a positive result without wasting court time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

kbannon wrote:
    el tel has been banned for being abusive about the gardai.
    Unnecessary way to get a point across!
    This is completely wrong. El Tel is being abusive about the gardai which is his right. Are the Gardai (rather than a specific garda) somehow to be protected by boards moderators? Am I not allowed to be abusive about BMW drivers? It is the same level of abstraction.

He is also free to get his point across in any way that he feels is necessary - in this case very strongly. Perhaps a bit too strongly. How about a "mind your language el tel"?

Not only is his post relevant it is also contributed to the thread.

Over censorship, mod, and over nannying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

First of all I'd like to say to the OP, unlucky.

Second of all I'd like to say, well done to the Gardaí for doing their jobs.

The law was broken, might have been dangerous (above poster talked about kids crossing the road there), might not have. Accept it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fey! wrote:
    O/T @ KB - I see you've finally found your stick!! Congratulations!!!
    The stick came out a while ago!
    This is completely wrong. El Tel is being abusive about the gardai which is his right. Are the Gardai (rather than a specific garda) somehow to be protected by boards moderators? Am I not allowed to be abusive about BMW drivers? It is the same level of abstraction.

He is also free to get his point across in any way that he feels is necessary - in this case very strongly. Perhaps a bit too strongly. How about a "mind your language el tel"?

Not only is his post relevant it is also contributed to the thread.

Over censorship, mod, and over nannying.
    Are you referring to the same post as I was? I felt it was out of line as did others, including those that went to the effort of reporting it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I have to say I've seen worse posts. The only thing he said was that the Gardai would fabricate stuff about the OP to make their story stronger, but he did use the word "pig". I woudl hate to think we're cap-doffing to the force here. The rest of the post was El Tel suggesting what the op should say if he phones to complain about the Garda, no?

Where was this post so terrible that it requires a ban?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement