Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm going to Court!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

drdre wrote:
    for dangerous driving you get for defo 5 penalty points and a manatory 6 months ban but if you state you need the car blah blah blah then it can be 1500 fine and 5 points.this is for sure as i have been there and done that:mad:

Didn't need the 'spare' license then? What a waste of Boards time! Did you learn anything from the whole experience?

@OP - overtaking at a junction is dangerous driving. Can't you understand this?
    BarryM3 wrote:
    I don't see how you can reach that decision.... If the (30 odd cars) cars were stopped it wouldn't take more than a couple of seconds.

Average car length is 4 metres (per UK Highway code). So, 30 stopped cars plus gaps of say 1.5 metres is over 165 metres. It would take you approx 7 seconds at 100 kph to travel that distance.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Are the Gardai (rather than a specific garda) somehow to be protected by boards moderators?

Not only is his post relevant it is also contributed to the thread.

Over censorship, mod, and over nannying.

I agree. His post may not have been as articulate as the mod would have liked, but that's life and people for you.

A new low for boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I agree. His post may not have been as articulate as the mod would have liked, but that's life and people for you.

A new low for boards.
    A harsh warning would have probably been more appropriate but I can see where the mod is coming from.
    Abusive language is far too prevalent on this forum, and the poster has nothing to prove that this guard is like the guards he is attempting to describe.
    They are doing a job after all, the OP has broken the law in most peoples eyes so I dont believe the guard deserves abuse for catching him.
    Kippy

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

can we get back on topic please?

Kbannon, I dont really see what else needs to be discussed on this topic. Was just making a point about what I thought of the post.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

drdre wrote:
    for dangerous driving you get for defo 5 penalty points and a manatory 6 months ban but if you state you need the car blah blah blah then it can be 1500 fine and 5 points.this is for sure as i have been there and done that:mad:

The only difference here is that you should have been banned off the roads for good. Making a dangerous move on the road is bad but trying to show off in your little Golf by doing doughnuts on a public road is another thing and alot worse!!

Never mentioned in my post what punishment should be handed out but he commited a crime so he has to stand up to it now and take his sentance!!
    el tel has been banned for being abusive about the gardai.
    Unnecessary way to get a point across!

Well done kbannon, about time we started to see a stop to this uncalled Garda bashing by people with no reason!! I found the post was way over the top but before every1 starts it wasnt me that reported it:D

A new low for boards.

Honest to God what are you talking about? as well as the post been the biggest pile of tripe I have ever read, going around and calling Garda "pigs" is not clever or funny. Just shows a lack of education to be honest, someone who thinks it is smart to call a group of people who work to protect the general public an offensive name is stupid.
    Big Nelly although you're the resident "angry man" () I have to agree with you here.

Angry man?? ANGRY MAN?? I am a picture of tranquilty. Think of little lambs bouncing around a field in spring and that me:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Savman wrote:
    Big Nelly although you're the resident "angry man" (:p) I have to agree with you here.

Have to agree also :)

Every day I leave work it's a 20-30 minute wait leaving Sandyford Ind Est. There are two lanes, one for turning left onto the M50/mountain route one for right (which is always empty).
    I sit, I queue, then every day there is some absolute arsehole who goes down the right turn lane and takes a left cutting the people who have had to wait off slowing the queue down and on one occaison nearly hit my car.

It is THE MOST INFURIATING thing ever to watch these selfish people skip all the traffic just so they can go home ahead of everyone else.

Anyway that said, the copper may have just been in a mood, unless you get a ticket in the post I wouldn't worry about it. Gurads like to ramble 0on about how they will do you etc... then you never get the letter.

layke wrote:

Every day I leave work it's a 20-30 minute wait leaving Sandyford Ind Est. There are two lanes, one for turning left onto the M50/mountain route one for right (which is always empty).
    I sit, I queue, then every day there is some absolute arsehole who goes down the right turn lane and takes a left cutting the people who have had to wait off slowing the queue down and on one occaison nearly hit my car.

Was over there the other evening at a meeting, left the estate, well left the office I was in at 5.15, I got home to Blanch close to 7!!!!! disaster of a place to get out of and then disaster to get thru toll bridge. Thank God I don't work over there, it is easier to get from the city centre to Blanch than from there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Honest to God what are you talking about? as well as the post been the biggest pile of tripe I have ever read, going around and calling Garda "pigs" is not clever or funny. Just shows a lack of education to be honest, someone who thinks it is smart to call a group of people who work to protect the general public an offensive name is stupid.

Your spelling, syntax and grammer do the same :D .

The Gardai are far from perfect and should be open to all criticism in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The Gardai are far from perfect and should be open to all criticism in my opinion.

Criticism is one thing. Suggesting that someone should maliciously slander someone else is another thing entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

layke wrote:

I don't think what the OP was doing was quite the same thing (there wasn't an intent to cut in on anyone, from my reading of it). However, I think these situations where de facto lanes are allowed to exist without official sanction in the form of actual road markings show a lax attitude (again) toward making roads as safe as possible from the powers that be. There's a couple of them around where I work and I nearly always get irritated by some fúcker using them to jump the queue. Mark the damn road properly to begin with and be done with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If the OP was where I think he was, there is a painted lane, but he wanted it to be longer than it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Calling the Gardai "pigs" could be considered in the same league as calling Chinese folks "chinks", Black folks "n******" and so forth. It's a slur at an entire section of society.

I only use the term when I've personally come across one whose mannerisms actually resembled a fat dirty pink farm animal. Context is everything here, don't think kbannon is a ban-happy mod and when I first read the post I did think to myself that it was crossing the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

blastman wrote:
    I don't think what the OP was doing was quite the same thing (there wasn't an intent to cut in on anyone, from my reading of it). However, I think these situations where de facto lanes are allowed to exist without official sanction in the form of actual road markings show a lax attitude (again) toward making roads as safe as possible from the powers that be. There's a couple of them around where I work and I nearly always get irritated by some fúcker using them to jump the queue. Mark the damn road properly to begin with and be done with it!
    Fey! wrote:
    If the OP was where I think he was, there is a painted lane, but he wanted it to be longer than it is.
    That is pretty much the long and short of it.
    It is an adhoc lane, if they are designing the roads properly put in
    traffic islands to stop people doing it and helping the peds cross the road too.
    Savman wrote:
    Calling the Gardai "pigs" could be considered in the same league as calling Chinese folks "chinks", Black folks "n******" and so forth. It's a slur at an entire section of society.
    I hope you're joking....
    The gardai are a race now?
    He was banned for being abusive, not racism.
    Even though i think it was the posters opinion however
    crudely he got it across someone reported it
    [allegedly not Big Nelly;) ] and the mod agreed it broke the rules.
    How are you making the connection with racism??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

Savman wrote:

I only use the term when I've personally come across one whose mannerisms actually resembled a fat dirty pink farm animal. Context is everything here, don't think kbannon is a ban-happy mod and when I first read the post I did think to myself that it was crossing the line...

In his posts, el tel did not refer to the Gardai, as a collective, as pigs. If you read the posts you will see that the term 'pig' was directed exclusively to the Garda in in question, who he felt might have have been improper in some way towards the OP. In this respect, the particular Garda may well fall into your category of "one whose mannerisms actually resembled a fat dirty pink farm animal" and thereby worthy of the disparaging term 'pig'.

The only general reference made about the Gardai is where el tel called them 'gimps' which, in my book, is fair comment.

I suppose an argument like this should really be taken to feedback since it is bringing the thread wildly off topic as mentioned by Kbannon earlier.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

rkm wrote:
    I hope you're joking....
    The gardai are a race now?
    He was banned for being abusive, not racism.
    Even though i think it was the posters opinion however
    crudely he got it across someone reported it
    [allegedly not Big Nelly;) ] and the mod agreed it broke the rules.
    How are you making the connection with racism??
    In fairness, I never mentioned racism directly but it's like if I refer to the Travelling community as "knackers" - for many it's an acceptable term but if you are a member of this community you have every right to be offended. It's an insult, not racial, but no different to writing "A.C.A.B." on your knuckles. ;)

Obviously someone took exception to el tel's reference, although glancing back maybe it was a bit harsh. Thankfully that's not for me to decide, but I can see both sides.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Alun wrote:
    If that's true, then one simple question ... why the !@#$ not? What possible advantage can there be to leaving people in doubt as to what the exact consequences will be apart from just pissing them off?

Most Gardai will tell the person that they intend to prosecute, i was just pointing out that they dont have to.

Aswell a garda might use his discretion at the scene and let the person off. However a check later on might reveal that the person has committed the same offence 20 times already. The Garda can still prosecute the person at his discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Chief--- wrote:
    Most Gardai will tell the person that they intend to prosecute, I was just pointing out that they don't have to.
    Still seems strange to me, and at odds with what happens in (most?) other countries.
    As well a Garda might use his discretion at the scene and let the person off. However a check later on might reveal that the person has committed the same offence 20 times already. The Garda can still prosecute the person at his discretion.
    That all sounds incredibly woolly and vague to me, especially letting someone off and then prosecuting them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

The problem is (if I've got the right area that is) that though there are two lanes right at the end where the traffic goes onto Quincentenary bridge people just get cocky and start the lanes way before they should. I've seen people start to overtake right back at the entrance to Corrib village and that is just wrong and dangerous no matter how much and how far you think you can see.

It also makes it horribly difficult for those turning right coming out of the St Anthony's entrance to NUI, G. I've nearly had my nose clipped loads of times... you've got the traffic on the left hand lane (well, only real lane) waving you out thinking they're being helpful because you can't see what's coming from the left, you poke your nose out and someone who couldn't resist "the urge" appears in the non existent lane. Ok it's not highspeed traffic but could cause a few euros worth of damage and it's very very annoying.

Same thing happens over on the headford road every morning. The cops turn up now and again, catch a few people like the OP but next morning is as bad as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

littlebug wrote:
    Same thing happens over on the headford road every morning. The cops turn up now, catch a few people like the OP but next morning is as bad as ever.
    Yep but they put islands there a few weeks ago between the turns so
    it has stopped people creating their own lane for tirellan heights.
    Of course they just start turning into the housing estates at the entrances further back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Typical. It's like people who use bus lanes as left turning lanes. Even when there's no advantage to doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

rkm wrote:
    Yep but they put islands there a few weeks ago between the turns so
    it has stopped people creating their own lane for tirellan heights.
    Of course they just start turning into the housing estates at the entrances further back anyway.

oh! I haven't done the morning drive for a few weeks and being in the passenger seat on Saturdays I obviously pay no heed!
    I get so cross at people using the estate as a short cut (though it isn't).

off topic sorry :o

kippy wrote:
    I suppose an argument like this should really be taken to feedback since it is bringing the thread wildly off topic as mentioned by Kbannon earlier.
    Kippy
    Thank you.
    Now any continuation of this goes in feedback or else people can join el tel (who incidentally is cool about it!). This thread is going back on topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

So now adherence to topic is enforced too. That's enough for me. Toodles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Where you off to?

overdriver wrote:
    Where you off to?

Hopefully as far away from here as possible

WELL DONE KBANNON!! BAN EL TEL FOR LIFE

seeing as we are putting stupid comments in our sig

I believe that the original post has been addressed.
    Im going to lock this now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement