Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this really the standard for Irish website design

Options
  • 15-11-2006 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

http://www.crunchfitness.ie/

Seriously, was this created in Word and just exported. There are so many things wrong with this, it defies belief

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah, I've seen worse.

It was made with Adobe GoLive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It doesn't seem to claim to be the standard for web-design anywhere though. It's just another crap site.

And as long as this beauty is around, crunch won't win the crown of most fugly site: http://www.powercity.ie

Heh, that reminds me of this site I saw today. COLOUR! FLASHING STUFF! AND FILL THE LEFT HAND SIDE WITH AN ADVERT AND FORCE PEOPLE TO SCROLL RIGHT! YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

eoin_s wrote:
    It doesn't seem to claim to be the standard for web-design anywhere though. It's just another crap site.

And as long as this beauty is around, crunch won't win the crown of most fugly site: http://www.powercity.ie

I never said it claimed to be the standard, it twas a mere pondering on my part - that this is the kind of crap being spewed out, especially by any fool and his copy of Frontpage/Dreamweaver/Homesite/GoLive/Fireworks, etc

Just because you have the technology, does not make you a good web designer and/or developer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Ph3n0m wrote:
    that this is the kind of crap being spewed out
    No, tbh the standard of websites for Irish companies is actually even worse than that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I never said it claimed to be the standard, it twas a mere pondering on my part - that this is the kind of crap being spewed out, especially by any fool and his copy of Frontpage/Dreamweaver/Homesite/GoLive/Fireworks, etc

Just because you have the technology, does not make you a good web designer and/or developer

Well, you sort of did in the the title of the thread, but I know what you're saying!

I remember a friend saying something along the lines of "sure, HTML is dead easy, anyone could do it". I pointed out that the English language was also easy enough, but I hadn't seen her write a novel.

That is one posh looking gym though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Oh sweet and gentle jesus! No it is NOT teh standard of irish websites *shudder*

why oh why did I click. :mad:

But why are people accepting this as possibly "good work". Is it a case of clients being too cheap or not shopping around.

It doesnt take too long to look at other websites in your business releated area, such as gyms and see what has been done elsewhere (though not necessarily in Ireland)

http://www.goldsgym.com/
    http://www.fitnessfirst.co.uk/index/index.asp

thats a return from googling "gym website", and I was elective of the results :)

Maybe it was a case of doing what the client wanted as opposed to what the web designer thought it should be.

I've got a website that is based solely around what my client wants, I've tried my own designs and told her that what she wants isn't that pretty but she won't take no for an answer. (Her colour scheme was black, gold, turqoise and pink, and that just looks woeful on a webpage imo. Thankfully I've whittled it down to just black, gold and pink)

Gordon wrote:
    Maybe it was a case of doing what the client wanted as opposed to what the web designer thought it should be.

I've got a website that is based solely around what my client wants, I've tried my own designs and told her that what she wants isn't that pretty but she won't take no for an answer. (Her colour scheme was black, gold, turqoise and pink, and that just looks woeful on a webpage imo. Thankfully I've whittled it down to just black, gold and pink)

ah but pink and black do work well together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Cowboys Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Ph3n0m wrote:
    ah but pink and black do work well together
    Reminds me of my brief career developing software.

Me: I'll show you how it works.
    Boss: The colours are a bit bright aren't they?
    Me: Yeah, we can fix that, let me show you how to use it.
    Boss: Maybe grey or black would be better there.
    Me: Yep, no problem, heres how to use it.
    Boss: And can you put the name of the company across the top
    Me: Sure, thats just decorating, can do whatever you like. Here, this button prints the shift report.
    Boss: You know the way the buttons look like they're sticking out in some programs?
    Me: OK, grey background then....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Gordon wrote:

I developed a site several years ago to the clients tastes. Its still there and they don't want to change it. I have shown them a number of good qualtiy templates and they want it to stay as it is. I even offered to change the look for free but nope - the current one stays!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Gurgle wrote:
    Reminds me of my brief career developing software.

Me: I'll show you how it works.
    Boss: The colours are a bit bright aren't they?
    Me: Yeah, we can fix that, let me show you how to use it.
    Boss: Maybe grey or black would be better there.
    Me: Yep, no problem, heres how to use it.
    Boss: And can you put the name of the company across the top
    Me: Sure, thats just decorating, can do whatever you like. Here, this button prints the shift report.
    Boss: You know the way the buttons look like they're sticking out in some programs?
    Me: OK, grey background then....

lol , have had very similiar "conversations" with clients that follow that exact vein before

Advertisement