Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the best mechanic in Limerick?

Options
  • 15-11-2006 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a car mechanic in Limerick city and suburbs. I'm not looking for a monkey in a boiler suit, but a top end mechanic who doesn't work in a dealership.

I know the motor industry like the back of my hand so want to avoid the ridiculous money you pay for a car service in a dealership.

So I'm looking for a good, honest, knowledgeable mechanic.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm lookin for one too. My dad's mechanic works for a dealership, but he only gets the car when a major job needs to be done.

On the other hand I'm useless under the bonnet

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Suppose it depends on what you need. If you just want the best possible service at a reasonable price I'm sure someone could direct you. If you have a particular problem - say emissions or something you'd need someone with the correct equipment.

If you're having a computer problem with the car then probably a main dealer or someone who has the facility to deal with it.

What car do you have and what's up? (I'm not a mechanic i'm afraid!)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

I'd recommend Henry Street Garage
    061 411650

Over the years I've gotten the cars/vans I've owned serviced by a variety of garages, none of which I care to name or indeed recommend and I agree with the earlier post about being screwed over by main dealers. I'd recommend these guys, they are an independent garage, can get whatever parts you need and are reasonably priced. They have a very good business going and have a good reputation, plus they seem to know every single car inside and out.

PS I don't work for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Gonna Bookmark this thread straight away, was going to post on this very topic in next day or too :eek:

- Am looking for a new Mechanic, definitely appreciate quality work at fair prices/value & being able to trust somebody to do all of the necessary work with none of the unecessary $hite [ie. ripoff] in an ok timeframe.

P.S. Just so my post isn't totally useless - I'll include this:

http://www.limerickbrakes.com/

Near Horse and Hound pub - friendly staff and best Motor Factors PRIC€'s in Limerick :D

- & No I'm not in any way connected with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Gotta throw in a hand for Windmill motors of Windmill street now just off the Dublin road excellent lads and great work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Is there anyone in Limerick red hot on modern car electronics? ..... :confused:

On very cold frosty days my electric doors go crazy .....

press the key fob and the alarm switches off ok :) ....

and all the doors unlock :) .....

except, 2 seconds later all the doors re-lock !!!! :(

the only way I can get in is unlock each door using the key :rolleyes:

now here's the fun bit ..... after getting in and driving off and about 10 minutes or so later (after the engine/car interior has warmed up) any doors I did't open with the key suddenly unlock! :eek: (just unlock - not open :p )

all this only happens during cold frosty weather .... all other times the locks work fine ......

Have spoken to a couple of Ford garages and they say it's going to cost a bomb .... :eek: .....

oh, and they have never heard of the problem before .... :mad:

I've posted on numerous web car web sites and the most constructive reply was ..... I quote ...."that's Amazing" ......

Des Kennedy is your man for autoelectrics

Henry St. garage.

Is that the one that was off Mt. Kennett before it was redeveloped, thought it just closed down

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote:
    Des Kennedy is your man for autoelectrics

I second that, Des Kennedy is the man when it comes to car electronics. He is located next to Garryowen, he has a garage on the street directly behind the old Pike Inn/Stuffins on Mulgrave Street.
    ninty9er wrote:
    Henry St. garage.

Is that the one that was off Mt. Kennett before it was redeveloped, thought it just closed down

I thought it was the one further up next to Mike & Katie's chipper?

bazz26 wrote:
    I thought it was the one further up next to Mike & Katie's chipper?

Ah ya I know the place.

Asked my dad and he told me that one of the guys that worked in the big place that used to be in Mt. Kennett is now operating on Upper Gerald Griffin St. on the left as you drive. Where the "Bucket and Suds" carwash and cab rank used to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dumbeldore

try balanety village just outside limerick on the old cork road his no. is 061351880 .all the boy racers use him i think he puts in niteruce and he is sopposed to know his stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Guy in ballyneety is good. Think his name is Rory (memory is not what it used to be).

He is a true car enthusiast, out to make a living but not to screw anyone. Loves cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I hope you guys aren't forking out €150 - €200 for a basic service! I service my own oil, oil filter, air filter, coolant and spark plugs myself. Only cost me €60 on average to buy the parts and it only takes a half an hour to service the car. I'd rather keep the extra €100 for myself, rather then give it to someone who'll do the same job in the same amount of time.

Not going on a rant or anything, but just be careful on where who you hand your money over to and what kind of value you're getting for it.

my two cents....:D

I'd quite happily payy 200-250 to have my ar serviced as long as i knew it wasn't me under the bonnet causing another 400 worth of damage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Brendan Butler in Park (near Rhebogue/Dublin Road) gets my vote. I recommend him to everyone! An honest, scrupulous and unbelievably helpful mechanic who knows his stuff and charges very decent prices. He used to work as a mechanic in a dealership but has his own garage now. Never messes you around - if he says he'll have something done for you, it gets done on the button. ;)

Des Kennedy for the electrics and Windmill Motors for van/camper service.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 city girl

Anybody got a phone number for des kennedy or another recommended autoelectrician, city based?

city girl wrote:
    Anybody got a phone number for des kennedy or another recommended autoelectrician, city based?

Des Kennedy 418659, but you are probably better off calling into him rather than ringing him.

would it be possible to create a child board for services and sticky it and have catagories...mechanics...doctors...dentists contacts on it

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

boomerang wrote:
    Brendan Butler in Park (near Rhebogue/Dublin Road) gets my vote. I recommend him to everyone! An honest, scrupulous and unbelievably helpful mechanic who knows his stuff and charges very decent prices. He used to work as a mechanic in a dealership but has his own garage now. Never messes you around - if he says he'll have something done for you, it gets done on the button. ;)

Des Kennedy for the electrics and Windmill Motors for van/camper service.

I can second the recommendation for Brendan Butler, nice guy too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

For Auto Electrics, Des Kennedy is definitely your man.

For car service and mechanics, Ben Riordan in Ballyneety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bright spark

There's a mechanic in ballyneety in the village beside the shop, I always get him to fix my car. His name is Rory.. He can do anything to a car very talented his no. 061351953 /0879055212 :)

• Advertisement

There's a mechanic in ballyneety in the village beside the shop, I always get him to fix my car. His name is Rory.. He can do anything to a car very talented his no. 061351953 /0879055212 :)

This thread is almost 2 years old, I'm sure the OP is well sorted by now.

You should also remove his personal mobile number from a public forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭philipm

Does anyone have a phone number for this guy, or since the post was last active are there any further reccomendations as good mechanics are very hard to find.

It is for a replacement clutch on a 2003 Nissan Almera, I have the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

If we are going to keep alive a 2 year old thread, than can I say that Dean Power just did a great job on my car at a pretty damn fair price.
    Dont have the number off the top of my head, but its in the golden pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Jumpy wrote: »
    If we are going to keep alive a 2 year old thread, than can I say that Dean Power just did a great job on my car at a pretty damn fair price.
    Dont have the number off the top of my head, but its in the golden pages.

Nice one Jumpy, need to get some work done, would hate to go to a cowboy...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

hobie wrote: »
    Is there anyone in Limerick red hot on modern car electronics? ..... :confused:

On very cold frosty days my electric doors go crazy .....

press the key fob and the alarm switches off ok :) ....

and all the doors unlock :) .....

except, 2 seconds later all the doors re-lock !!!! :(

the only way I can get in is unlock each door using the key :rolleyes:

now here's the fun bit ..... after getting in and driving off and about 10 minutes or so later (after the engine/car interior has warmed up) any doors I did't open with the key suddenly unlock! :eek: (just unlock - not open :p )

all this only happens during cold frosty weather .... all other times the locks work fine ......

Have spoken to a couple of Ford garages and they say it's going to cost a bomb .... :eek: .....

oh, and they have never heard of the problem before .... :mad:

I've posted on numerous web car web sites and the most constructive reply was ..... I quote ...."that's Amazing" ......

It's exposed wiring somewhere..my primera was the same except on cold mornings turning the wheel would switch on the radio and blast up the volume..
    Never happened above 3-4c.
    Turned out that the wiring was done wrong in the steering column and exposed or something like that..luckily it was still in warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭philipm

There's a mechanic in ballyneety in the village beside the shop, I always get him to fix my car. His name is Rory.. He can do anything to a car very talented his no. 0879055212 :)

I have just used Rory to fix a problem with myclutch. He diagnosed the problem as being something much more affordable and had a new cylinder fitted on the spot while I waited and dropped what other jobs he was doing.

Excellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 phoenix2002ie

Brendan Butler on park road just off Dublin road.
    He's brillient...excellent value for money...tells it as it is and knows his stuff :).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

He's brillient...excellent value for money...tells it as it is and knows his stuff :).

Good man Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Good first post Brendan, forgot to give your phone number though:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

In fairness the guy is good, no bullsh1t from him, use him all the time, and dont feel ripped off.:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement