Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DVD recorded on a DVD recorder not working in computer

• 15-11-2006 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Was wondering if someone could help.

I have a standalone DVD recorder, Tevion TDR 5131 connected to a TV, and my most recent DVDs from it will not work on my computer.

When I try to play it with PowerDVD I get this message:
    Copy protection key exchange failure - Key not present.

Other DVD player apps don't give me any message at all, they just stop responding.

If it makes any difference, I recently de-regioned the recorder and hadn't recorded anything until yesterday when I found the problem.

But the DVD will still work in the recorder.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

Update: since I have 2 DVD drives in my PC I decided to try the DVD in the other drive, and Hey Presto ... it works!

I'm still confused though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Is it possible that the disc needs to be "finalized" to work in all drives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Some older pc dvd drives will have trouble playing some of the writeable and rewritable dvds. Very slight chance it might be possible to get firmware updates from the manufacturers website that would allow reading of other format discs.

Actually both of the drives are DVD+/-RWs that are less than a year old. But they're different brands and models.

The one on which the discs won't work is an NEC ND 3550A.
    The one on which they do work is a WriteMaster or something like that, don't have the exact specs to hand.

Will look for firmware updates anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

NEC drives have specific compability issues with certain blanks, I had an NEC and changed it for a Pioneer because the NEC would not recognise the dye on my blanks, search SVP.co.uk for your blank, they test all blanks to all the dvdrw units they sell

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's probably it: thanks :)

Advertisement