Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving lessons

Options
  • 15-11-2006 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

OK i heard thath for someone to set up a driving school they just have to have an ordinary driving liscence. So what im wondering is are there any driving schools ,particularly in waterford that have some kind of regulation and conform to a certain standard above just haveing a normal driving licensce

Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think the ISM train their own drivers to a set standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

What is the ISM?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What is the ISM?

Irish School of Motoring

Ok cool and would thath be one of the best places to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm afraid i'd have no idea. If it's any help to you, a friend of mine is using the ISM in Dublin at the moment, and is very happy with both of the instructors she has had so far.

• Advertisement

OK cool thanks, i think i might go with them. IF anyone has any more oppinions please do let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The quality of their instructors varies quite a bit I've found but at least they'll all be at some minimum standard. Unless you know someone specific in Waterford, they'd be the safest bet.

YEAh thats what i was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Christophicus, trythe following link http://dir.ie
    Its for the Driving Instructor Register Ireland, an independent body striving for the last 15+years to bring regulation to driving instruction in Ireland.
    You should be able to find a DIR qualified teacher in your area. I did teach for over 4 years, started with ISM for 6months to see if i liked it first. TBH, they may claim to be the biggest in Ireland, but that is not always necessarily best.
    An RDI (registered driving instructor) must pass an intensive 3part exam, and is also subject to regular spot checks, based on their performance and ability to instruct and impart knowledge. Also, taking a set amount of lessons with a DIR can help lower your insurance premium.

ok cool thanks frop telling me that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi

Unfortunately seeing DIR RDI's stickers on a car does not give any kind of a guarantee of the standard of the tuition you will receive.

tc20
    An RDI (registered driving instructor) must pass an intensive 3part exam, and is also subject to regular spot checks, based on their performance and ability to instruct and impart knowledge.

The "check test" is the final of the 3 tests and is the one where the instructor is tested on his ability to instruct.

The DIR grade the results in 5 bands
    Below 60%, - Unsatisfactory - another check test within 3 months
    60% to 69% Less than satisfactory - Check again within 1 year
    70% to 79% Satisfactory - 2 year
    80% to 89% Very good - 3 year
    90% to 100% Excellent - 4 years

Unfortunately some instructors join the DIR, pass the first two exams, then score poorly, maybe even less than 60% on the check test.

They may then decide not to do any more check tests, especially if they score poorly - too expensive and it is after all voluntary. (The instructor must pay for each check test). But they retain all the paraphernalia of the DIR, car stickers, Logos etc.

All DIR instructors should have an ID card displayed in the car.

On the card there are two dates

Reg Exp format month/year ie 11/07 and is the annual subscription expiry date.
    the second is when the next check test is due
    CT Code same format ie 07/10 or whatever

So you should ensure that their membership/ check test is up to date.

That will give you some guarantee.

And do not be afraid to shop around. If you are unhappy with an instructor - change.

J R - i was an RDI for a number of years, only reason i stopped was the hours are a killer, i loved doing it, and would still do it, but the lure of a 9-5 took me away.
    To say that seeing an RDI sticker on the back of the car not guaranteeing the standard of tuition is IMO more than harsh. Also the point you make about RDI getting thru' the first two stages, and not doing great in the last part.
    The fact that at present there is NO regulation on driving instructors has been discussed previously, and im aware of movement in legislation to bring into effect a set standard for instructors. The DIR is a voluntary org, set up in mind to raise the level of tuition beyond the laughable ("i've a full licence, i can teach"). Furthermore,as you point out, it is voluntary, so does this not point towards the instructor wanting to better him/herself in the qualifications department, gaining a more thorough knowledge, which hopefully they can pass on to their pupils?
    Point taken that as in any trade or profession there will always be a chancer, and your last couple of lines bear this out, with which i agree.
    The reason i was replied in the first place to this thread, was that from personal exp, some of the 'larger' schools do not pander to either their instructors or their pupils needs. Its bums on seats, and that equals $$$

Hi,

tc20. I am a driving instructor. I was one of the very first to join the DIR when it was first founded in 1997. Since then, have done all my check tests when due, and paid my dues each year. In fact just did a check test few weeks ago.

However, can only call it way I see it, and I see quite a few driving school cars going around with DIR stickers and I KNOW that the instructor is total C++p.

Heard a driving instructor on a local radio last year. He said he was so committed in improving his qualifications and keeping up to date that he took a course of instructions with the DIR every year. In actual fact he was getting "less than satisfactory" each year in his check test. Which meant he had to take the test each year. But with his spin, sounded very good over the air. As you know the DIR do not "do" driving courses. But at least he was doing the check tests.:D

Applaud the idea of the DIR and most instructors who join. However the DIR should be more stringent. Also they should post a list of their instructors with their Check Test results on their web site.

And totally agree with you in regards the large driving schools.

J R, correct me if im wrong, but isnt the DIR going to be subsumed by the new Road Safety thingummyjig..? I still receive occasional info/updates from the DIR (i didnt maintain my badge tho) and seem to recall in a recent newsletter that some of the structures of the DIR would be incorporated.
    Im not sure i would agree with open posting of instructor check test results, i can see where you're coming from, but maybe an in-house approach from DIR/RSA could improve instructors results.
    Good one about the guy on the radio :D
    You know yourself how long it has taken the DIR to be where they are, with very little help from a parade of Transport ministers, i wish them (and yourself) continued success

Hi tc20,

Have no up to date information on what will happen. There will be "Grandfather Rights" for instructors to continue to operate for a certain length of time. RSA say they will accept other qualifications, assume they mean UK ADI's etc. Doubt that the DIR qualifications will be accepted fully by them at face value.

However will have to wait and see.

The DIR really seem to be more interested in numbers and the annual subscriptions fees than raising standards.

For example, an instructor is registered with them and is classed as "fully qualified" even though they may have scored, and continue to score, very poorly in the check tests.

The DIR should have spent some money on adverts educating the public on their association, their aims and goals, in particular advising them to check the instructors ID badge and ask them how they scored in the check test.

In the UK the public are advised to ask their instructor what "Grade" they are.

However, as every thing at the moment is voluntary perhaps they are doing the best they can. But it does annoy me to see a car festooned with DIR logos when I know that the instructor inside is absolute rubbish.

Regarding naming their instructors on their web site. Perhaps not publish their "Grades" but definitely all instructors who are up to date in their check tests and subscriptions should be listed.

So, advise to the OP, if you find a DIR instructor ask him how he scored in the Check Test. - and check his badge. Should be on display in the car.

But qualifications are not everything, I know an instructor who has done no training whatsoever, never sat an exam or test of any description, did not even sit the driving test itself, but is an excellent teacher and has a great pass rate.

Driving after all is very basic common sense and some people are natural born teachers.

Finally, if your instructor starts talking about "Quotas", certain examiners never pass people 1st time, young people never pass etc etc. Walk Away. Poor workman blames his tools. poor instructor blames the examiner - never himself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 eamon1

I found a website that covers all of Ireland and gets you to rate your instructor and driving school. Some are dir qualified some are not. I went to one in rathgar Dublin that was dir but also iam qualified ( they run the hibernian ignition courses iamfleet.ie) they also had a Rospa qualification which is some kind of advanced driving standard the instructor achieves by being tested themselves. I really felt the instructor knew what they were talking about and it made sense to me not the usual crap I'd got from other schools. www.drivingtestinstructor.com was their website and i found them on www.irishmotoring.ie which covers all of Ireland...good luck:) :)

Advertisement