Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out landlords PPSN number if he will not give it?

Options
  • 15-11-2006 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

i rented a premises way back in 2003 for over a year and always paid the landlord cash and never received a receipt(not too bright of me as only just moved to dublin) I am currently putting all my financial side in order and have been advised that with my tax returns that as i had not claimed rent relief for this period that i can claim up to 6 years after the period of rental.I have the landlords name and mobile number and he is refusing to give me his PSN number or a receipt for the period, leading me to believe that he is not registered to do so and or not paying tax on rent to inland revenue. Apparently he is still renting this premises out so what I need is a way to get this guys PSN number so i can expose him as a tax evader(if he did pay then he should have no problems making a claim for rent relief surely?) as well as not being registered etc.
    If anybody can point me in the right direction this would be a great victory for all of us that have been cheated by the likes of these persons.
    I`m not going to provide this MR unsavoury`s name as being the devious little runt that he is would probably have me on defamation charges etc.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In the same situation as you OP

First of all, you can only claim back as far as 2002.
    If you don't have the PPS number, you can still claim rent relief. It will just make it easier for Revenue to match their details

On the Rent 1 form, put as much information as you can and your claim can still be processed.
    This was explained to me by the good people on the Revenue helpline last week. I've sent in claims for 2002-2005 and added notes on some that I could not get their PPS number.

I hope to a few cheques before Christmas and hopefully get a few of my previous dodgy landlords in trouble.
    Some might call that spiteful though for reporting them to the Revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yeah ring the Revenue - His name and the address of the proprty should be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Hi...

When i claimed rent relief a few years back, the helpful lady at the Tax Office said all i needed was a pps number and/or the name and address of the landlord (I only had the landlords name like you). They don't seem to mind doing the necessary research to match the name with a number...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I was on the online revenue commissioners site last night www.revenue.ie and you can apply online for your rent return there. They need the address of the landlord but don't appear to ask for the PPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 georgiegray

thanks for all that,i tell you i only wish that the bloody inland revenue could tell you what they intend to do about people like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

thanks for all that,i tell you i only wish that the bloody inland revenue could tell you what they intend to do about people like this.

I'm no expert but it was discussed on another thread that the Revenue Commisioners are in no rush to chase dodgy landlords for undeclared income.
    They will simply bide their time as there is no cut-off point and also the penalty interest will keep accumulating each year.

Also, I just noticed that you typed "inland revenue"
    Are you posting from the UK?

Advertisement