Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nippy ferret

Options
  • 15-11-2006 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Can anyone suggest something I can rub on a pair of gloves that would put my ferret off biting my fingers? I've seen bitter apple and bitter lime mentioned on a couple of sites but I haven't seen either in the local pet shop. I tried some stuff that's supposed to stop puppies chewing the furniture but it doesn't seem to bother my guy at all.

Thanks

Comments

you dont have much of a choice , i would also not use Gloves if you really want to train him .If he does nip you , what you have to do is carry him by the scruff of the kneck a couple of inches above the floor like its mother would do. You have to show that you are the dominant one and that your hands are off limits. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

My uncle breeds ferrets. Owns a giant named after me, vry cuddly, and his normal sized, monster of a missus. Anyway, she doesn't nip, she tries to rip your finger off, and my uncle sasthat with biters, to try presenting them with the flat of your hand, insted of reaching out with your fingers. Says they can't bite then. Just a suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ok a good way is to mix lemon juice in water & add it to a spray bottle when the ferret nips say OUCH & spray him/her. You have to remember that ferrets play rough & they have much tougher skin than we do so they need to know just how rough he can play with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

Wouldn't just water work better, so ou don't, I don't know, end up half blinding the poor thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Was gonna say, faye... would'nt lemon juice be a bit harsh getting into the eyes?
    If somone sprayed it into my eyes I'd fight back hard.
    I would think its more about distraction than pain?

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 oran77

thanks for all that. I've been scruffing him and also sticking him the cage for a while if he doesn't get the message. That, along with some fairly extensive handling, seems to be doing the trick as the little guy as calmed down remarkably quickly - gone from trying to take the finger off me a week ago to the very occasional nip now. i reckon a couple more weeks should see me with a pretty docile ferret

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Was gonna say, faye... would'nt lemon juice be a bit harsh getting into the eyes?
    If somone sprayed it into my eyes I'd fight back hard.
    I would think its more about distraction than pain?

B

Have to say I have never used this method but a friend has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I have to say, its not somthing I would try myself.
    Lemon juice can permanently damage a human eye so I would imagine any other animals eye would at least be extremely painfull.

B

Advertisement